Peripherals forum

Question

Bluetooth Mice Losing Connection in Certain Areas

by BerlingerTG / January 6, 2014 3:18 AM PST

Okay, so this is an issue that I am absolutely baffled about. So, I have an Acer Iconia W3 tablet that I use with a Bluetooth Keyboard Dock, and have been trying to use Bluetooth mice with.

I have both the HP x4000b and the Logitech Ultrathin Touch Mouse T630. The Logitech works marvelously when I use it....except at my apartment.

When I use it at my apartment, it glitches. It will lag with mouse movement and will just stop working entirely within about 10 minutes of being turned on. I also find myself re-pairing the device almost every time I try to use it.

If I use it elsewhere? In the car, at work, at my family's place, at a restaurant, it works perfectly. No problems. I can use it for 8 hours straight at work without a single problem.

I initially thought it might happen when it is connected to Wifi. So, I ran Wifi at work and used it for a couple hours. No issues.

I know it sounds silly, but could there be something at the apartment complex that is glitching this mouse?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bluetooth Mice Losing Connection in Certain Areas
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bluetooth Mice Losing Connection in Certain Areas
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Could be many other PCs in that area.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2014 12:29 AM PST

The airwaves can get crowded and equipment to test that is too expensive. Try fresh batteries just in case.
Bob

Collapse -
A little more insight.
by BerlingerTG / January 10, 2014 2:31 AM PST

Thanks for the feedback. I did some testing and I figured out that it is Wi-Fi, somewhat. It seems to do this whenever it is on certain Wi-Fi connections. I tested it at work, the apartment, my family's place, and some Wi-Fi connections cause no issues and others cause this issues.

My Cincinnati Bell Router at the Apartment causes this issue.
My family's Mifi 2200 through Verizon also causes this problem.
My iPhone 4's Personal Hotspot (through Verizon) does not cause this problem.

It got me a little confused since both my IP4 and my family's Mifi are through Verizon yet one causes the glitch and the other doesn't. Any ideas?

Collapse -
Yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 10, 2014 3:45 AM PST
In reply to: A little more insight.

If you look at the channels WiFi uses, if the systems are on 802.11n the span is huge and can crowd out BlueTooth. Link about that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

If such pulled back to 802.11g you often find no speed loss and better coverage as noted at:
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-7585_102-602528/how-to-create-a-wireless-network-for-a-large-house/?tag=contentBody;threadListing

BlueTooth "The protocol operates in the license-free ISM band at 2.402-2.480 GHz.[62] "

WiFi channel 1 is 2.412 with a standard 22MHz spead which easily reaches down to the BlueTooth lower end.
And up to 2.492 on the highest WiFi channel so there is no real open space if a pair of 802.11n routers are in the area.

Since you can't change your BT dongle and try a newer BT version this is all just an exercise to know why but as designed it's a mess as WiFi went past 802.11g,
Bob

Collapse -
Only Mice?
by BerlingerTG / January 10, 2014 7:18 AM PST
In reply to: Yes.

Thanks a lot for the info. Could this, for example, only cause problems for mice? I use an Iconia W3 and have never had problems using my Bluetooth Keyboard for it on these connections.

Collapse -
The BT keyboard I use is so close that your observation
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 10, 2014 7:35 AM PST
In reply to: Only Mice?
Collapse -
W3 Keyboard and Power Cord Having to Do with it?
by BerlingerTG / January 10, 2014 12:23 PM PST
Collapse -
That's RF for you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 11, 2014 12:25 AM PST

It's a soup of signals and if you move, even a few inches the answer can change. Same thing with a cable. Can be very spooky to folk that didn't take a lot of physics and electronics classes.

It may seem odd but to explain it I head to a pond and drop pebbles or we make waves and observe then talk about what we see. It's a class exercise.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?