HolidayBuyer's Guide

Samsung forum

Question

bluetooth keyboard for flatscreen

by oddbat / April 21, 2015 1:13 AM PDT

I love Samsung products, have lots. Recently we bought a new flat screen TV (UN55HU6840FXZA). I would like to use a wireless/Bluetooth keyboard with it. I own a Samsung Galaxy Tab S tablet with the Bluetooth Samsung keyboard for it. It works great, another excellent Samsung product. I wondered if I could use the keyboard with my TV. If I go through the routine of installing a Bluetooth keyboard as described in the e-manual, I can get the TV to acknowledge that it is linked to the keyboard, but the keys do nothing.
I have had issues with Samsung Chat help. When I got the TV I wanted to mirror stuff from the tablet on to the TV but could not get it to work. I had a session with Samsung Chat help and they assured me that my TV model was not capable of mirroring with the tablet. Costco tech support (bought the TV from Costco) got it working in about 15 minutes.
I went to Samsung Chat help to see if I could get my Bluetooth Samsung keyboard working with my TV. Once again I was assured that my TV model would not accept a Bluetooth link to a keyboard. When I pointed out that the Device Manager on the TV said it would, they had no comment.
So here I am. I can see that the TV acknowledges the keyboard via a Bluetooth link, but nothing happens when I touch the keys. Samsung Chat help is useless. My question is whether is it possible to use the Samsung Bluetooth keyboard I use with my Samsung tablet (it's paid for).
A satellite question. Is there an inexpensive wireless keyboard that will work with my TV? I've tried the Logitech K400r, a USB wireless device. The mouse function works fine, but the keys do nothing. Makes me wonder if the problem I'm having with the Samsung keyboard isn't the same problem with the K400 keyboard.
Any/all comments most welcome.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: bluetooth keyboard for flatscreen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: bluetooth keyboard for flatscreen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Too iffy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 21, 2015 1:19 AM PDT

I've been noting the K400 for years. Your post makes me wonder if the K400R has changed in some way or if expectations are high. That is, not all apps respond to keyboard input.

-> Here's the rub. Someone assured you that bluetooth keyboard would work. TAKE IT BACK TO THEM. Do not let them off the hook. They made this claim and need to fix it by whatever means available. I would never make this claim.
Bob

Collapse -
K400R
by oddbat / April 21, 2015 1:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Too iffy.

I tried the K400r based on several forum comments (not this forum) as being useful. I also wonder if either Logitech might have changed something. There is no installation of the keyboard other than plugging it into a USB port. Still the mouse function works, which makes me wonder. Alternately I might just have one of those rare K400r keyboards that doesn't work. I got it at Walmart. Not my first choice in vendors but they are local and I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere. No hassle in returning things.

Collapse -
There is another test.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 21, 2015 2:35 AM PDT
In reply to: K400R

ANY PC USB keyboard is what I use to see what keyboard input works in the apps. Not all apps use a keyboard.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.