Computer Help forum

General discussion

Bluetooth in laptops?

Hello, I'm familiar with the bluetooth technology in cellphones and other mobile devices but not really in laptops.
I'm getting a new laptop this month and saw that the one Im most likely to get has "bluetooth technology", it's just that im not sure what it means.
Im guessing I could use my bluetooth headset with it, but could i also do stuff like send photos to/from my cellphone to it? anything else?

thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bluetooth in laptops?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bluetooth in laptops?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Now fading from popularity.

In reply to: Bluetooth in laptops?

It turns out that less than 1 in 10 use it. So why tax all buyers by foisting this option? In other words make sure you get it but don't fret as I added one to mine for very cheap and the new design is very small.

Collapse -
yep

In reply to: Now fading from popularity.

i bet you are right, but i would still like a answer to my questions.

Thanks.

Collapse -
One question?

In reply to: yep

"Im guessing I could use my bluetooth headset with it, but could i also do stuff like send photos to/from my cellphone to it? anything else?"

And that only works if said phone allows it and there is matching software on the PC to get it. Don't let them sell you the phone without answering if the phone does this as well as asking for the software. You can't imagine the headaches of finding the software later.

In closing you don't want to do this over bluetooth. It's too slow to move your average photos today.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks but...

In reply to: One question?

What I was actually interested in was in sending photos from cellphones to computers, I know is slower than usb but I rather wait a little longer than carrying my phone's usb cable around.

I guess I'll wait till I get the pc and come back if I have problems with it.

Thanks Bob.

Collapse -
How slow? Just wait...

In reply to: thanks but...

USB is some 11 megabit connection.
Bluetooth is almost 115,000 bits per second (or 0.1 megabit.)

I own such things and am sharing the lesson.
Bob

Collapse -
Bluetooth in laptops

In reply to: yep

Not all laptops have an internal bluetooth antenna but you could use an external bluetooth dongle, very similar in appearance to a USB flash drive. The idea with internal bluetooth(built in antenna) is that you do not need to use a USB input dongle which frees up a USB port. An example would be a bluetooth mouse, no external adapter plugged into a USB port, of course it could be a headset or another device.

Collapse -
that is

In reply to: Bluetooth in laptops

great, thanks.
That's the idea, the less things i have to plug in the better.

Collapse -
Example mini USB bluetooth.

In reply to: that is

Collapse -
well

In reply to: Example mini USB bluetooth.

Collapse -
soon enough?

In reply to: well

I own a bluetooth headset that I use with my cellphone. I was trying to use it with my laptop but I can't.
I did pair them, they are connected, I tested them, everything is working but the fact that my pc keeps sending the audio through the speakers instead of the headset.

suggestions?

thanks.

Collapse -
If you see this...

In reply to: soon enough?

Look at the speaker selection control panel (sorry I can't be specific since there is no standard here) and if you can select Bluetooth Audio then that's it.
Bob

Collapse -
well

In reply to: If you see this...

after some research...i found out that microsoft didnt release the driver in ordrer for this to work, too many bugs or something like that.

At least that's what i read in some other forum, can someone confirm that?

if that is the case i guess ill just have to wait for sp2...darn it!

Collapse -
Microsoft?

In reply to: well

They are not where I'd look for a driver. Try the makers of your hardware.

Collapse -
yeah, that makes sense...

In reply to: Microsoft?

but for what I read is not really possible, or really buggy with workarounds. Vista did have the driver for my headset is just that I can't really use it though it works.

I'm gonna see what I can dig, and let you guys know.

I was just hoping someone had already had this problem and knew how to fix it.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.