Mac Hardware forum

Question

Bluetooth Discovers Device but Won't Connect

Hello,

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum but I'm having a problem connecting to a device with my iMac. I use my DualShock 4 (PS4 controller) with my iMac to play Mac App Store games and it always connects just fine whether it's by USB or Bluetooth. Yesterday I connected that DualShock 4 back to my PS4 really quickly and then disconnected it and went to hook it up to my Mac again and it will no longer connect.

I thought it had something to do with my controller but I tried my other DualShock 4 controller and that won't work either. To see if it was just my iMac having problems, I tried connecting the controller to my MacBook and it paired with no problem so I'm assuming the issue is coming from my iMac. I've tried all the obvious things such as...

-Restarting my computer
-Resetting the PRAM and NVRAM
-Verified and Repaired Permissions

Nothing seems to work. One minute it was working fine and now neither DualShock 4 controller will connect to my iMac by either USB or Bluetooth. It's only this computer too since it pairs just fine on my MacBook still. Also, when I open the Bluetooth preferences, it will discover my controller but it won't actually connect. Any help would be great!

Thanks,
Tyler

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bluetooth Discovers Device but Won't Connect
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bluetooth Discovers Device but Won't Connect
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Did you reset the controller?

In reply to: Bluetooth Discovers Device but Won't Connect

Collapse -
Resetting DualShock 4

In reply to: Did you reset the controller?

Thank you for your reply, Bob. I forgot to mention that but I did try resetting the DualShock 4 controller and it still didn't work. Because both controllers pair fine with my PS4 and MacBook Pro, I'm thinking it has something to do with my iMac but I just don't understand why it has worked fine for months and then one minute my iMac just decided to stop pairing with my controllers. I never changed any settings or anything.

-Tyler

Collapse -
Sorry but I don't have any new ideas.

In reply to: Resetting DualShock 4

Collapse -
Thanks!

In reply to: Sorry but I don't have any new ideas.

I used the Bluetooth Explorer in the solution from that link you provided and now everything is working great! Thank you for your help, Bob!

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks for the report. Always good to read about success.

In reply to: Thanks!

Collapse -
Bluetooth Explorer Help

In reply to: Thanks!

I have tried everything (plist delete, etc.) not working still. On to the explorer but not sure what to do. Can you help explain what you did?

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I found a way

If u want your ps4 controller off of Bluetooth the only thing u have to do is plug in the charger to the controller and then it on then it will work

Collapse -
Answer
PROBLEM SOLVED

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.