Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Bluetooth Device Panel Not Saving Devices

by kaega / October 2, 2010 8:12 AM PDT

Hello CNET,

My issue here is this. When I try to add my bluetooth mouse or keyboard in Windows XP they will not stay in list of devices, or work ever.

This is a Logitech Keyboard and mouse. Both have worked on my computer before (right up until yesterday). When I add either devices Windows indicates the pairing was successful. The devices will show immediately after but will not work. If I click OK (with the trackpad built into my laptop) and reopen the devices list the mouse/keyboard will be gone.

This computer I'm using is a Macbook Pro running Windows through Bootcamp. My mouse and keyboard both work when I boot into Mac OS X. I have posted this same question on the Apple Discussions boards but I have not received an answer in some time. So I thought I would try here as well.

Another note: Under the services tab of the mouse (while it appears before I press OK) there is an option that says along the lines of "Use driver for mouse or keyboard HID" and that box is not checked. If I try to check this box I get a pop up window saying "Access Denied".

Any thoughts?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bluetooth Device Panel Not Saving Devices
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bluetooth Device Panel Not Saving Devices
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
As far as I remember
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 2, 2010 10:52 AM PDT

BT support didn't exist until a few years ago in bootcamp and when it did appear it was only for the Apple BT keyboard and mouse.

Sorry but I can't tell if you have the Apple hardware.
Bob

Collapse -
Bluetooth Device Panel Not Saving Devices
by kaega / October 2, 2010 12:30 PM PDT
In reply to: As far as I remember

I don't mean to be rude, but I hate it when people put posts like this.

"Sorry but I can't tell if you have the Apple hardware"

Can't tell if I have the Apple hardware? First of all what you said about Bootcamp only supporting the Apple bluetooth keyboard is just incorrect. I know this because I have been using a LOGITECH keyboard and mouse since the day the non beta version of Bootcamp was released (10.5 Leopard). Second of all I clearly wrote in my post that both devices worked fine until yesterday. What hardware could I possibly be missing that I didn't have yesterday? Especially when they both work on another OS on the same hardware.

I did have to install a driver (included with the Mac OS X cd) to get the bluetooth to work, but I still use the the same control panel to add Bluetooth devices just like I've seen on every other PC laptop with a bluetooth module installed.

What software troubleshooting would be recommended to troubleshoot such an issue on Windows XP with known good hardware? Any other suggestions?

Collapse -
My apologies.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 3, 2010 4:00 AM PDT

I wish it was easy but I found this to only work well with the Apple bluetooth keyboard. I can't tell if you have that for a test.

If my thoughts on this and what I experienced is upsetting you, just write that and I'll remove my replies and let you be.
Bob

Collapse -
Forum Posting Consideration
by kaega / October 6, 2010 11:15 AM PDT
In reply to: My apologies.

For any one who has come across an issue like this, I found the solution. Not sure why this happened, but I wasn't the only one.

The solution to this problem was found here.
http://blog.sean-ward.com/2008/08/01/bluetooth_access_denied_issue_and_resolution/

Again I don't mean to be rude, but R. Profitt; When a keyboard works with a computer once with a certain OS and hardware, it works. There's no reason to test with another keyboard unless to rule out a hardware issue.

If you have a keyboard and mouse that works with a computer in one OS but not in another, that rules out a hardware issue (since the only thing that has changed is the software)

Since I ruled out a hardware issue, and software incompatibility, that only leaves software corruption. This is why I was getting frustrated with your response. When someone is trying to get something working, the last thing they want to do is unnecessary steps.

Collapse -
Thanks for the update.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 6, 2010 12:38 PM PDT

The method and my experiences are what they are. I found the apple keyboard to solve this long ago so I thought I'd share that.

Thanks for sharing,
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.