General discussion

Bluetooth Device Hunt...... How?

Does anyone know what is needed to locate the source of a Bluetooth signal? I have a device that confirms the presence of the Bluetooth signal, but offers nothing in regards to signal strength or direction. I need to determine what/where is the source of the indicated Bluetooth signal. I'm not aware of any Bluetooth enabled devices in the office, as I've eliminated any cellphones or PDA's of employees. Thanks! - Lars

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Bluetooth Device Hunt...... How?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Bluetooth Device Hunt...... How?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
A big problem is...
- Collapse -
Question & Thank you Bob!

The device I have has the capability to detect Wi-Fi and indicates signal strength (one to five "bars") which is useful for location/sniffing, however the Bluetooth functionality is simply an indicator if Bluetooth is present/detected. Am I to understand that it is possible for this device to interpret an unusually high Wi-Fi signal as being bluetooth? If this were the case, would the signal indication eventually be detected as Wi-Fi as you distanced yourself from the source?

Currently I get no indication of anything until just outside of the location's building (approx. 50 feet), and then it detects bluetooth. There is occassionally a weak (1 to 3 bar) wi-fi signal detected near the parking structure next door.

Thanks.

- Collapse -
I forgot to mention another BT source.

Cars. Some cars have bluetooth inside them. Some of my prior work was in the CCTV arena so I can imagine you want to find the RF source. If I had only your device I might build a parabolic dish to place it into so I could get some direction of the source. Then you can roughly triangulate (read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangulation ) to narrow down where it is.

Given how close BT and WIFI is intertwined I would not bet on any device's accuracy of telling which is which.

Bob

- Collapse -
Update.

Ok, here is what I've established. The device indicates only Bluetooth and the detection begins about 30 feet from the facility door. There is no BT or Wi-Fi detected outside of this distance, however as I mentioned, farther away near parking, I receive Wi-Fi detection. So, there is detection of nothing until almost inside front door, then it is BT being detected and everywhere inside, consistently throughout.

I have to find the source and am struggling. I like the parabolic dish idea. Would you suggest fabricating one or purchasing? Does it need to be fabricated from a conductive material like a Faraday cage would be or so something similar?

- Collapse -
Wok.

A trip to the kitchen can have you a dish in under a hour. I have no end of fun building dishes at houses that needed them with a trip the kitchen.

It's loads of fun as puzzlement turns into a group project.

Here's a web link about such -> www.freeantennas.com

Sorry, but the forum filter will eat the words if I put the http on that.

Bob

- Collapse -
Thanks Bob. I'll give 'er a whirl.

Maybe I will make a family project out of it and include the 7 year old buttercup (girl) and 10 year-old bobo monkey (buttercup's big brother).

Oh yeah... Does this sound right.... On Wi-Fi, device has signal strength detection, but only on/off for BT. Device will sometimes indicate BT on the fringe/edge/weak area of Wi-Fi. Is this because it can't tell the difference between very weak Wi-Fi and BT?

- Collapse -
Anotehr source of "BT"

Bluetooth is a radio frequency that operates in the 2.4 GHz band, just like wi-fi (excepting 802.11a) so weak wi-fi signals could be mis-interpreted as bluetooth signals, also, the building may use a RFID card lock system to regulate entrance to authorized employeese, it is possible that this too could cause a "false-positive" It has been documented that UHF RFID tags can cause interfernce with other radio devices with their return signal.

CNET Forums

Forum Info