Computer Help forum

General discussion

Bluetooth Audio Receiver

by KCav45 / April 30, 2013 1:43 AM PDT

I have lots of speakers that are not Bluetooth enabled, Can they be connected to BT Audio receivers that are placed upstairs or outside, and can I plug a USB Bluetooth transmitter into my PC and send audio from it to the receivers?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bluetooth Audio Receiver
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bluetooth Audio Receiver
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not clear
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 30, 2013 1:53 AM PDT

While I've done this, I can't be sure others can. It's the right parts but the setup is finicky and I've never found it easy to duplicate for others. That is, there always seems to be another setting I didn't have to play with the next time.
Bob

Collapse -
If I made a list of the speakers
by KCav45 / April 30, 2013 2:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Not clear

If I made a list of the speakers would you help me select a Bluetooth receiver?

Collapse -
I don't think that's needed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 30, 2013 2:18 AM PDT

Speakers are a fungible item so I rarely find that to be a deciding factor. For me the issues is how to configure bluetooth audio. It's all of a simple 3 to 5 buck bluetooth usb dongle for the PC and then a bit more for the receiver but that's just the tip of the iceberg on the software setup.

After the receiver you'll need the usual amplifier but again, another fungible item with many choices.

Your question sounds as if you want someone to come over and set it all up.
Bob

Collapse -
How to configure Bluetooth receivers
by KCav45 / April 30, 2013 5:54 AM PDT

Bob said, "For me the issues is how to configure bluetooth audio"

I have had almost no luck using Bluetooth _except_ I can play music sent from my cell phone to a JBL Micro Wireless BT speaker. I don't know why the same speaker doesn't pair with my desktop computer. I have found Staples, Walmart, NewEgg, etc. have good pricing, but they don't have the same technical knowledge as OEMs. So I ask experienced users.

I would like to attach two or more speakers to BT audio receivers, and place the receivers in three different rooms. What specifications should the BT receivers have for accepting BT signal and for connecting speakers? Do I need amplifiers?

Collapse -
That's exactly where I see folk have issues.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 30, 2013 6:51 AM PDT

Remember we are dealing with -> Windows <- and while I prefer to use Bluetooth A2DP I can't write a tutorial or more here. For that we turn to the internet, google and more.

After you've done this a few times you begin to think "what were they thinking?" as you find you didn't repeat the same steps with each setup.

-> Apple and it's AirPlay is a lot better and a bit less wonky.

About amplifiers. Since the common BT Audio receiver can't drive a speaker (I use them with headphones) that's a pretty easy question. Yes.
Bob

Collapse -
Great Bluetooth Receiver
by mikkeybrunel / July 30, 2013 10:31 PM PDT

I have been looking for a bluetooth receiver for ages. They either seem a bit pricey or don't seem very good quality. I recently found a great site... www.bitmore.co.uk after my cousin recommended one of their speakers.
Having a browse around, I found a bluetooth audio receiver that looked good and was only £19.99.
I bought it cos they have a great returns policy so felt like I had nothing to lose.
As soon as I got it and plugged it in, it was amazing. Sooooo easy to use. You just plug it in, sync it with your device and my old hi-fi speakers were playing my latest playlists.
It's definitely my best buy of the summer, my old hi-fi is an amazing system but just made a bit redundant as now I only really use my iphone and ipod to listen to music.
Definitely saved me from throwing out a great system and having to spend a fortune on another one!
Best buy of the summer by far....I've put a link in below.
http://www.bitmore.co.uk/collections/convert-your-ipod-dock-to-wireless-bluetooth/products/universal-bluetooth-audio-wireless-adapter
Hope that helps!

Collapse -
The range issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 30, 2013 2:00 AM PDT

Just noting that a buddy duplicated my setup and then complained about the usual 30 foot range limit. Bluetooth is not something we use for long distances. Since you are doing your research I bet you knew that.
Bob

Collapse -
30 feet range OK
by KCav45 / April 30, 2013 3:19 AM PDT
In reply to: The range issue.

Under my house there must be a pile of sand because my basement is always dry. In the summer time its cool and during the winter it stays pleasingly warm, but there are no windows. I love the feeling of nature around me, so I want to keep my desktop computer downstairs, with my audio library on it, and play music on speakers located where I like to be, upstairs (definitely within 30 feet) and outside about 30 feet away. My son recently moved to Florida and left me his speakers. I have 3 computers that share my Home network and have one other thing in common, they have lousy speakers. I like to listen to smooth Jazz, sentimental piano music, and download podcasts. What would you do? Should I use Bluetooth?

Collapse -
Basement?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 30, 2013 3:42 AM PDT
In reply to: 30 feet range OK

That's the worst place to put a router and of course a bluetooth transmitter. I'm sure you can get it to work within the range limits but why folk want to repeat the lessons about range is a bit of a mystery. At least we broached the subject.
Bob

Collapse -
30 foot range
by KCav45 / April 30, 2013 6:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Basement?

I use High Performance DSL. The line-In terminates in box on the outside of my house. A cable goes from there into a wireless router located in the basement. The router has 4 Ethernet ports. I plugged an Ethernet switch into one and ran wiring from it to several rooms, including those upstairs and outside. I don't use the cable any more. Wireless 802.11N does excellent job. Maybe the time is not far off when Bluetooth's capability will improve. It has gone from 6 to 30 feet. Since access is unauthorized maybe encryption should be used?

Collapse -
I rarely worry about Bluetooth security.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 30, 2013 6:53 AM PDT
In reply to: 30 foot range

It's something I use for "transport" and not any network, file or printer sharing so I don't have much to secure.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!