How To forum

Question

Bluetooth and TV

by phrot / July 9, 2013 6:11 AM PDT

I've read a couple recent Q&A regarding TVs and Bluetooth but had a slightly different issue. My near new large screen TV in the Living Room has a USB jack. I own a Jawbone Jambox Bluetooth speaker and would like to listen to the TV in the kitchen without having to wake up the neighborhood by turning up the volume on the TV that's about 40 feet away. Is there a way, or USB dongle, that I can place on the TV to listen to the BT speaker placed between me and the TV so I can hear the audio without waking everyone on the house?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bluetooth and TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bluetooth and TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
What does the manual of this mysteriously anonymous TV
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 9, 2013 8:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Bluetooth and TV

have to say about connecting anything to the USB port? It is usually used to connect an external HD or a USB thumb drive.

P

Collapse -
Answer
No TV so far uses
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2013 8:42 AM PDT

No TV so far uses bluetooth dongles you use on your PCs. That's a dead end but always let folk go there and come back.

40 feet is beyond the normal 33 feet you usually get on bluetooth so maybe some other wireless link?
Bob

Collapse -
speaker distance
by phrot / July 9, 2013 8:28 PM PDT
In reply to: No TV so far uses

Thank you

I realize 40 feet is a bit much, that's why I suggested placing the speaker between me and the TV, say at 33 feet or the maximum it could reach.

Are there simple BT broadcast amps that plug into analog output(s) on the TV that I can pair with the Jawbone? (The single optical jack is connected to the receiver amp already).

RE: the TV USB port, are they different than computer USB ports? Seem like USB was specifically designed for multiple I/O that's why I thought a BT dongle might work.
thx

Collapse -
In reverse order.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2013 12:58 AM PDT
In reply to: speaker distance

The USB is electrically the same, uses the same transport system but as you know in PCs we have drivers to use the device. Since a TV is not a PC you can't add support for most USB things like what you asked for. This seems to get some folk upset that an USB WiFi dongle can only be the one from the maker. Why? Because they wrote the code to support this or that dongle.

As to the word -> simple <- I must write this is not simple enough for some. While there are Bluetooth audio senders that should pair I wonder if you would put up with having to figure out how to get the analog audio to the sender even if you had to convert from optical to analog to go to the Bluetooth sender?

This is why, in your case you may want to have a service come in and set it up for you. Then you would not have to deal with it not being simple.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
In addition...
by sunwatcher / July 10, 2013 9:26 AM PDT

In addition to the reasons previously mentioned why you might have problems getting this to work, there is typically an audio-video sync issue when listening to audio over Bluetooth. The audio is usually off from the video enough where it ruins the viewing experience. I recommend staying away from Bluetooth audio for your TV and going with a dedicated audio transmitter-receiver combo.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!