Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Blue Stop Error Screen

by kilgoreT / August 29, 2008 2:16 AM PDT

Four or five months ago I installed a new HD in my Dell Inpiron 700m laptop. I used Acronis True Image, as I've done previously with my Latitude. Initially, I had some trouble, because apparantly one or two drivers were missing. I found a discussion about this online and ran through the steps to fix the problem and everything seemed fine. A couple days after the installation I received the blue stop error screen for the first time. Restarted the computer and hadn't had it appear again until last week. The other night, it was coming up every five minutes, shutting down the computer. Here's what the screen says:

Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

A problem has been detected... disable & remove recently installed hardware [that would be the HD!]

disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing, set restore, etc.

STOP: 0X000000D1

I read some discussions about this, most of which were way over my head, but one thing I did was to run memtest86+ through 8 passes and no problems came up. I then installed CCleaner,which I had used in the past,selected memory dump and some other stuff, and cleaned things up.

No blue screen for three days, so I thought I fixed things. No luck, now the screen is coming back.

I went into BIOS to see if there was anything about disabling memory options, but nothing was there about that. I restored the default setting.

Until today, the only time the blue screen appeared was after a long day of running the computer, just about the time I was about to shut it off.

I've run some malware programs and nothing has come up. I've also cleaned up my temporary files.

I would appreciate some assistance - apparently this is something that has affected a number of people using XP. As my computer skills aren't that great, please take that into consideration with your recommendations. Thanks.

Windows XP 5.1 SP2

Dell Inspiron 700m

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Blue Stop Error Screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Blue Stop Error Screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's a laptop.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 29, 2008 2:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Blue Stop Error Screen
Collapse -
that's a lap top2
by kilgoreT / August 29, 2008 6:59 AM PDT
In reply to: That's a laptop.

Is this a joke? It's really possible for a dusty computer to have this problem?

Collapse -
The clues are in your post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 29, 2008 7:07 AM PDT
In reply to: that's a lap top2

0X000000D1 errors can have a source in a too warm machine.

The joke is sadly on consumers that pay to have this yearly task done for them?
Bob

Collapse -
I'm not a surgeon
by kilgoreT / August 29, 2008 8:29 AM PDT

I tried to follow your advice and open up the 700m - consulted Dell's manual. Unfortunately, it's nothing like the video you shared, where the guy unscrews four screws and viola, it's all open for cleaning. The Dell is a nightmare - you have to first remove the keyboard, the display, unplug a couple ZPF cables, etc. Too much for my shaky hands. The thing is, the 700m is pretty solid - there aren't too many places for dust to get in. My Latitude, on the other hand, is a disaster - full of dust and detritus - and I've never had this problem. Anyway, I'll buy one of those liquid air blowers tomorrow and just shoot it through all the laptop's openings.

Collapse -
How long since it was cleaned?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 29, 2008 9:30 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm not a surgeon

Age is a factor here. I find many year old laptops that haven't seen any cleaning attempt. Your choice here but it's basic maintenance that no one seems to tell the owner about.

The compressed air can is a great thing. It should help.
Bob

Collapse -
I hear you
by kilgoreT / August 29, 2008 9:35 AM PDT

Thanks for your help - I'll post if this works.

Collapse -
Not heating
by kilgoreT / August 31, 2008 12:55 AM PDT
In reply to: I hear you

I've ruled out the overheating problem. The last two crashes occurred not long after booting up. Yesterday I installed a couple temperature monitors and they're all reading normal. For example, right now I'm running HDD Health and the temp is reading 37C with excellent HD health.

Collapse -
Thanks
by classychris1985 / November 7, 2008 5:57 AM PST
In reply to: That's a laptop.

I had no idea about a 'cleaning' a laptop.. I've always dealt with desktops.. I like to think im a computer pro, but I guess I am sorta just a newbie, atleast with laptops.

Collapse -
"disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing,
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 31, 2008 1:23 AM PDT

"disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing, set restore, etc.

STOP: 0X000000D1"

1. Did you do that?
2. The Stop 0xD1 has many many causes. There is no one thing. Heat ranks high from my experience but a cold boot and a 0xD1 points to possible driver or failed RAM.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=0xd1

Hit Dell.com and install their latest BIOS, retest. Then the motherboard driver package (latest), retest, then video driver, retest, sound card, retest and so on till all drivers are current.

I have not mentioned the MALWARE issue. A scan with software called MBAM would be a good idea (see google.com)

If the drivers are up to date, be sure you are not using any CD/DVD emulators or such. Then run this memory tester -> http://www.memtest86.com/ Since your failure is at a cold boot, an hour run of no failures should suffice.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Bob
by kilgoreT / August 31, 2008 1:40 AM PDT

In response to your first question, I wanted to, but had no idea how to disable BIOS memory options. I went into BIOS, but there was nothing there about that.

I was wondering if I should update my BIOS. I'll follow your suggestions later today when I have more time. Thanks.

Someone else suggested I run the debugging tools at Microsoft, but wasn't too confident about that suggestion.

Collapse -
Debugging tools are
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 31, 2008 1:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Bob

A bit rough on most. I find the best clues in what is called the EVENT VIEWER. In there I sometimes get lucky and find a reference to say NVDIA.DLL stopped and then I can google what that is and see if there is an update or if others have seen that issue.
Bob

Collapse -
Already
by kilgoreT / August 31, 2008 1:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Debugging tools are

Checked out the Event Viewer under System and found error messages consistent with the last two crashes, but I have no idea what the message means or if it's even relevant:

Both messages were the same:

Unable to add the interface 4C407EE1-EC9A-49F1-8CEF-BE22102D6871 with the router manager for the IP protocol.

Collapse -
Done that
by kilgoreT / August 31, 2008 11:04 AM PDT

No malware. There was one optional BIOS update at the Dell site, which I added. I don't know how to get the latest motherboard package. One of the first things I did when I first had the problem was to run the memtest. After 8 passes, it didn't detect any problems.

Collapse -
Latest chipset drivers are at this link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 31, 2008 11:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
Chipset
by kilgoreT / August 31, 2008 11:28 AM PDT

Thanks, but wasn't able to install it - I was informed that my computer doesn't meet the minimum requirements for installation.

Collapse -
Now that is very odd.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 31, 2008 12:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Chipset

The Dell 700m used a 910GML Intel chipset. Did I get the laptop model wrong?

Collapse -
That's correct
by kilgoreT / August 31, 2008 9:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Now that is very odd.

Yes, it's a Dell INspiron 700m.
My system info says I have the Intel Pentium M processor 1.60GHz, 496MB RAM.

Collapse -
Just so you know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 31, 2008 10:19 PM PDT
In reply to: That's correct

If this was my machine, I'd want to solve this item. Try Everest (see google) and see if it sniffs out what chipsets are in the machine. Maybe I got it wrong but I checked again.
Bob

Collapse -
Everest report
by kilgoreT / August 31, 2008 11:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Just so you know.

I don't know this stuff, so I'm not sure what's really relevant. Here are some of the results from the Everest scan.

Chipset:
North Bridge Intel Montara-GM+ i855GME
Maximum Memory Amount 2 GB
Supported Memory Types DDR-200 SDRAM, DDR-266 SDRAM, DDR-333 SDRAM
Supported FSB Speeds FSB400

Motherboard:
Bus Type Intel AGTL+
Bus Type DDR SDRAM
Bus Type Intel Hub Interface

CPU Type Mobile Intel Pentium M 725, 1600 MHz (16 x 100)

Collapse -
Here's the i855GME page
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 1, 2008 12:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Everest report
Collapse -
I'm wondering
by kilgoreT / September 1, 2008 12:50 AM PDT

Could this be due to country of origin of the computer? I'm in Europe, but I think I bought the laptop through eBay from the U.S. (I have an adaptor on the US plug.)

Meanwhile. . . I haven't had a crash (albeit just since this morning - it's now 5 pm) since I uninstalled my Kerio firewall and replaced it with Comodo. Some people have had issues with a FWDRV.SYS driver associated with Kerio and this file came up in some minidump reports following the crashes. I've used Kerio a long time and have only had the crashes since I installed a new HD, so I don't know why this all of a sudden would have become a problem. Any reactions to this? Do you still recommend that update in your last post?

Collapse -
That's better.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 1, 2008 1:39 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm wondering

Those Ebay dell's have shown up with swapped boards, LCDs and more. You can't use the model number on the case. As to the FWDRV.SYS issue, I didn't find that in your first posts so I apologize for not commenting about crashing firewalls. Sorry but sometimes I can't see a post or skip one.

As to fixing stuff that works, I always stop fixing the moment the thing works proper.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by kilgoreT / September 1, 2008 1:44 AM PDT
In reply to: That's better.

For all your help. I'll post back if the problem reoccurs.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?