Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Blue Screen/Windows Dump

by Scoobyfan / May 21, 2013 11:20 AM PDT

Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure what to do now...

I just started my Asus K73E-BBR7 laptop w/Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 as normal, when suddenly the dreaded blue screen with white lettering appeared. However, before I could absorb more terms than "Dump" and "If this has not happened before..." the laptop shut down and restarted, prompting me to start in safe mode or normal.

I chose "Normal" and after a few minutes my laptop started normally. Fortunately, everything seems to be working fine. A Windows dialog box appeared, stating that Windows had to shut down....and would search for the issues. After a few seconds, the dialog box disappeared without any additional information or reports on what I should do next.

How can I find out what caused the shutdown and message and what the message said? I did try to catch what the screen stated, but it shut down so fast.

Once I find out what caused the problem, what should I do next?

I've researched this issue online, but there are different variations and I didn't want to mess things up by trying the wrong procedure.

Any help will be appreciated. One thing I did do was to take some items off the list to start automatically.

I have a 4GB memory and 64-bit operating system.

Scoobyfan has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Blue Screen/Windows Dump
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Blue Screen/Windows Dump
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Scoobyfan

Collapse -
BSOD - Blue Screen/Windows Dump Part 2
by CRWorkshop / May 22, 2013 12:00 AM PDT

Sorry. One other thing that is easy to do and will test if the memory/RAM has a problem. Hit the windows key and type "Windows Memory Diagnostic". Select this and the click "Restart now and check for problems". If any errors are found then your memory/RAM could be on the way out. If errors are found i would run memtest to double check the result before you go spending money to replace the memory, just to be sure you get the same result from both tests.

Again, diagnosing this could take hours so if you have only seen this error once it may not be worth spending the time trying to diagnose it just yet. Your call though.

Collapse -
Thanks so much
by Scoobyfan / May 22, 2013 5:58 AM PDT

Hi CRWorkshop, Thanks for all the information. While this process may be time consuming, you have made it a lot less confusing. I have backed up my files, and will keep an eye on things. But I do plan on running the virus scan again and the Windows error check. (I have Kaspersky....I'm sorry I forgot to mention that.) I will also try the Spybot Search and Destroy. Now that I think of it, I might as well try the rest as well!!

Thanks again!!

Collapse -
BSOD - Blue Screen/Windows Dump
by CRWorkshop / May 21, 2013 10:30 PM PDT

You could check the event viewer/logs by hitting the windows key and typing "event". Then have a look around the date and time the error occurred and focus on the "critical" or "error" events. You still may not be able to define the exact problem as there are many causes for the BSOD. Things like windows updates can conflict with programs installed on your system, driver problems, corrupt program installations, hard drive issues, issues with corrupt windows files, malware etc.

The day before it occurred did you install/uninstall any programs or did windows update your PC? If you did, you could restore your computer to before the program was installed using system restore and see how you go.

In my experience this can also be the first indication or hard drive problems so i would recommend backing up your important files just in case. It may not be, but better to be safe than sorry. Backup your important files before you do anything below.

First just run a full system scan using your antirus software. As i am not sure what internet security suite you have, if it doesn't include a malware scan use something like Spybot Search and Destroy (it's free)

You could check for file system errors and bad sectors and see if it comes up with anything (and have them repaired automatically) using Windows built in tool:
if you could also run Seagates seatools utility on the hard drive and check for drive problems, just depends how much effort you want to go to as there is no guarantee this will pick it up if its a intermittent problem:

Honestly though, if you have only seen this error once and you have a good backup routine already so you can restore all your data should you need to, i wouldn't worry about it too much about it just yet as it hasn't happened since and could have just been a random windows anomaly. If there is a problem you should get this error frequently.

Just make sure you backup, have a good internet security suite installed (antivirus and firewall) that is up to date and you will be prepared should disaster happen.

Collapse -
One more thing...
by Scoobyfan / May 22, 2013 6:23 AM PDT

I did not notice any updates the day before (or two), nor did I update anything.

Collapse -
I'm not sure if I did this right. Found on Event Viewer
by Scoobyfan / May 22, 2013 6:43 AM PDT

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power
Date: 5/21/2013 11:34:16 PM
Event ID: 37
Task Category: (7)
Level: Warning
Computer: Jacqueline-PC
The speed of processor 3 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 28 seconds since the last report.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="">
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power" Guid="{0F67E49F-FE51-4E9F-B490-6F2948CC6027}" />
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-05-22T03:34:16.505003700Z" />
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="68" />
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
<Data Name="Group">0</Data>
<Data Name="Number">3</Data>
<Data Name="CapDurationInSeconds">28</Data>
<Data Name="PpcChanges">2</Data>
<Data Name="TpcChanges">0</Data>
<Data Name="PccChanges">0</Data>

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?