Question

Blue Screen @ Startup

OS is Windows 7

When I boot up I get the blue screen of death which says BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO

When trying to enter in safe mode, the last file checked says: Loaded: C:\windows\system32\drivers\classpnp.sys then it stops and will not go any further.

I tried safe mode and "repair the computer" which does not fix the problem. Also in safe mode I tried the "Last Known Good Configuration (Advanced)" and get the blue screen of death stating: A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

cng.sys

The driver mistakenly marked a part of its image pagable instead of nonpagable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Before this issue occurred, McAfee had just updated itself.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Blue Screen @ Startup
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Blue Screen @ Startup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Keep in mind you claim you have Windows 7.

At this point I have to use my Windows 7 DVD to boot and repair.

However what you must do first is save your files before they are lost. Here's how.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

After that I can try the Windows 7 DVD and it's repair offering. Here's more on that.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

If you don't have the Windows 7 DVD, then you have to ask your computer maker how to repair this OS.
Bob

- Collapse -
Windows 7 DVD

My system was originally a Win VISTA system purchased just at WIndows 7 was released and as a result Toshiba send me a FREE Windows 7 UPGRADE which was installed over VISTA. So whenever I had to re-install my OS, I had to first install Win VISTA and then do the Win 7 UPGRADE.

Should I use the Win 7 UPGRADE DVD to try to fix the issue or do I have to insert the Win VISTA DVD?

- Collapse -
I can't know this one.

Since you do not have a Windows DVD but something issued by the laptop maker, use of that is not the same as the retail copies from Microsoft. Only Toshiba can answer this one.

In the future try to supply such details.
Bob

- Collapse -
I made a Recovery DVD...

When the computer was first booted I made the recovery DVD's which was used once before to re-install everything.

- Collapse -
Those should work HOWEVER

You have to be absolutely sure you have backup copies of what you can't lose.
Bob

- Collapse -
I decided to use...

the recovery disk. After that I will run the WIn 7 Upgrade Disk. Right now I'm just waiting for everything to install.

Thanks Bob.

- Collapse -
I just did everything as you are

Exactly ! Used the Vista restore and than windows 7 upgrade. After the Vista is installed and all of the updates are installed , before Windows 7 can be installed it will ask you for Vista Service Pack 1. I suggest you look at the post in Windows Vista forum here in Cnet . http://forums.cnet.com/7723-12546_102-526942.html . I didn't read it and it took an hour to manually download and than download other updates .......Digger

- Collapse -
Answer
Some things to be looked into

Hi can you please restart your computer in safe mode if possible and then run a full virus scan (full). There is a possibility of a malware. remove malware or virus if there is any. if the issue persists, remove your RAM sticks one by one and run a memtest. A faulty RAM stick could be causing this problem to occur. Please post back if this fixes your issue

CNET Forums