Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

Blue Screen on Windows XP laptop help needed, please

by monica 211 / April 17, 2011 9:04 AM PDT

Hi, Last Oct. I got a blue screen that Windows was shutting down my computer to protect it . ( paraphrasing). I had a problem turning it on and charging the battery; but that seems (hopefully) resolved now. However, when I turn it on, I get the screen that gives you the options of starting. The only one that seems to work is Start Normally. I get the Windows logo, then the blue screen flashes for a second and the whole thing begins again. It is an HP computer about 6 years old with XP. How can I get it to work again. I apologize that I do not know all the terminology and ask for your assistance. I did not do anything different or add any hardward when the blue screen first shut me down. Thank you for your help .

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Blue Screen on Windows XP laptop help needed, please
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Blue Screen on Windows XP laptop help needed, please
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Good and bad news.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 17, 2011 9:46 AM PDT

I'm seeing this with a damage OS (XP in this case.) There are some successes with what they call a "XP REPAIR INSTALL" but you have folk that have no XP CD which removes that option. Remember that preinstalled versions on some laptops do not have this option. You get to fish your files out of the machine and reinstall the OS.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for the info but...
by monica 211 / April 18, 2011 12:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Good and bad news.

How do I get past the revolving screen; meaning it keeps going back, so I can get to the functions? I am unable to get it to start in any mode. Thanks

Collapse -
Answer
Note: Due to the depth of this Q&A discussion thread, no add
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 18, 2011 1:57 AM PDT

"Note: Due to the depth of this Q&A discussion thread, no
additional replies can be accepted for this post. If you have an answer
to offer or need clarification of the original question, please reply
to the original post at the beginning of this thread."

Your choice of a question means no discussion without a lot of pain.

How to get your files out is well discussed. We have the CNET Storage Forum top sticky post and a google about how to get at your files with some USB case of cable is well discussed.

Please avoid the Question type if you want to discuss as no one can answer your last post.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
BTW. Removing malware or a virus often does this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 18, 2011 2:10 AM PDT

Let's make a statement -> "Removal of malware or virus does not repair an OS."

I fear many call various antivirus and such scanners failures when it removes the pests but does not restore operation to the OS.

The removal and OS repair are often two entirely different procedures. The move to OEM RESTORE MEDIA removed most options for OS REPAIR and changed the repair process from a long list of procedures to try to just one (reinstall the supplied OS.)

THIS HAD TO HAPPEN since no company can support repairing Windows under warranty. So they had to come up with something that worked for a price.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.