General discussion

Blue Screen of Death --> Need new Laptop, help please

As the title suggests, I'm in the market for a new laptop. I've bought two laptops in the past, and I was not happy with either purchase. So, I would like some advice.

What I desire:
1. Screen is MOST important feature. 15.4" or 16.3" and bright (should I look at LED?).
2. I HATE it when the laptop slows down and the fan turns on. I want to avoid computers that do this.
3. Durability. I am careful with my computers. Still, my last computer just stopped working for no apparent reason. I want something that will not spontaneously stop working in less than 3 years.

What I do NOT care about.
1. Battery life. I'm always near a plug.
2. Weight. I lift weights Happy
3. Fancy Graphics or Sound cards. I don't use my laptop for gaming or watching movies really.

What I use the laptop for.
1. LaTeX (text editing)
2. Surfing the web
3. Reading PDF documents (this is why I want a nice screen).

Any suggestions you have -- general (like "look at Lenovo and avoid Acer") or specific (like "look at this computer <link>") -- would be very much appreciated.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Blue Screen of Death --> Need new Laptop, help please
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Blue Screen of Death --> Need new Laptop, help please
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Oh Yeah. Forgot to mention.

Cost: $500 - $800.

- Collapse -
While I suggest you loo at Sony.

I can't say that today's machines are made to last for many years. The consumer is demanding low prices. They are delivering.

Also, laptops and most gear need repairs and maintenance. Then I read about failures of machines that never went to the shop or that the owner didn't know about the yearly cleaning.
Bob

- Collapse -
Why Sony?

Thanks for the advice. Any reason you suggest Sony in particular? In the early 90's, Sony was synonymous with quality. But, it seems like in the late 90's and early 2000's, Sony started to produce cheap stuff. So, I have been avoiding them for the better part of the last 10 years in favor of companies like Samsung. But, Sony is one of the few companies that seems to offer a 16.3" screen, which I think would be ideal for me.

- Collapse -
Why.

It has nothing to do with quality. It has to do with your requirements. Sony displays are among some of the nicest I see in laptops. Not all Sony laptops so you check out the model before purchase.

Besides Apple and those Toughbooks, all the makers are answering our calls for lower prices.
Bob

- Collapse -
Dell

Hi there,

I also suggest you check out the Dell Studio 15. It has a 15.6" LED widescreen, and i3 processor, 4 GB of RAM, and 500 GB of hard drive space.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

CNET Forums

Forum Info