How To forum

Question

Blue Screen Of Death Laptop Problem - How To You Fix It??

by Jayman-21 / June 1, 2013 4:18 AM PDT

I have an old laptop which was working perfectly before now. It has suddenly developed blue screen of death issue. Can any one advise how I fix this problem?

Laptop information:

Make: Dell Latitude E5500
Intel inside centrinio

Hard disk space (total): 74.4GB
Used Space: 59.0GB
Free Space: 15.4GB

Blue Screen of death information displayed:

Within the content of the message, one of the displayed messages as:

Stop: 0x0000000R4, (0x00000003, 0x8A0S4BE0, 0x8A054D54, 0X8060500A)

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

I have checked the fan and it works fine, I have remove one of the internal memory (the laptop has to chip memory one is 2GB and the other is 1GB) and had still the same issue.

Please help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Blue Screen Of Death Laptop Problem - How To You Fix It??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Blue Screen Of Death Laptop Problem - How To You Fix It??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
The problem the R4 error
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 1, 2013 4:24 AM PDT

Is I've never seen that one. All the errors I see are HEXADECIMAL so that's an error or a bad GPU causing a glitch.

If the hardware is good a fresh load of the OS usually clears this up. There are so many virus, trojans, malware that can cause this but you wrote about the fan so how long since the heat sink was pulled for cleaning and heatsink compound replacement?
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Older laptops
by Willy / June 1, 2013 10:35 PM PDT

While you've checked the operation of the fan, there is more to check. Also it appears this is an older laptop so wear&tear come into play. besides dust bunnies more dust clods can be part of the soiled build-up. This reduces cooling and lead to further problems. If as Robert offers the R5 error is proper to a GPU problem, then the older video usage can over time become either s/w corrupted or breakdown from wear&tear. You need to clean as best as possible, even recover covers for direct access to fan and cooling paths, etc., and blow it all out. Also, as explained heatsink paste replacement isn't a bad idea as that results from long use too. All in all its a big cleaning and refresh of paste and possible re-install of video drivers, etc. You may want to do a "repair mode" from the OS install disc and select it. What does it do, when doing a "safe mode" boot? Alas, don't exclude any possible malware at work here as it takes system resources and crippling others to create havoc. Thus, when in safe mode with networking booted, run an updated AV pgm. and others to check status.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Older laptops
by Jayman-21 / June 4, 2013 8:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Older laptops

Bob and Willy.

Thanks for your response. I opened up the laptop again to clean the heat sink as all i did previously was to clean the fan. This forum portal does not have a picture attach functionality as I would have attached pictures. the heat sink looked ok to me as I did not see dust around it.

I am tempted to replace the heat sink as is or would it be better to get a heat sink paste to re paste it back. Advise please..

I think once I have replaced the heat sink and the fan. I will try to re install windows os. But how do I back up my files and important apps before doing so as the system hardly stays on before it turns blue?

Thank you

Laptop information:Make: Dell Latitude E5500Intel inside centrinioOS: Windows XPHard disk space (total): 74.4GBUsed Space: 59.0GBFree Space: 15.4GB

Collapse -
After a few years.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2013 3:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Older laptops

Try 2 to 4 I replace the heat sink compound. It runs a few dollars (2?) and is done because we're never sure the heat sinks are in solid contact with the device/chip and as it ages it can dry and crack.

I fear that installing the OS tends to overwhelm today's users. Hopefully they have a fully automatic re-install.
Bob

PS. We have many posts and pictures on the internet about this work.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?