Computer Help forum

Question

Blue Screen of Death

by filter2700 / January 3, 2013 7:41 AM PST

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> <span>

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">

Hello everyone, I hope you can help me solve this problem. I recently have been getting a hardware error blue screen of death when my computer starts and I don't know why. Sometimes I'd be able to get the OS to start and login to my account, but that only lasted for a minute or two and then the computer froze, and crashed and gave me the blue screen error. In an attempt to fix the problem, I inserted my Windows disc and tried to install a fresh copy of Windows 7. While formatting the harddrive (from the installation screen), the computer crashed to the blue screen of death. When I restarted the computer, it gives me an error saying there is no operating system. I thought "the formatting must have worked," so I booted from the windows disc again and tried to install the OS, and when I view how much space is taken up on the harddrive it shows none, meaning there is 99% free space on the harddrive (the formatting worked). I then go ahead with the installation, and it starts installing, but crashes to blue screen on "Expanding Windows File" step.<div>
In the past, I have gotten this issue and fixed it (allowing me to use the OS normally) by removing my PCI USB card, and PCI sound card and switching slots (my motherboard has only two PCI slots, and one PCI-E x16 slot). I just switched the cards (if the USB card was in slot A, and the sound card in slot B, I just switched them and put the sound card to slot A and and the USB card to slot B) and this error stopped occurring. However I tried this multiple times after I formatted the harddrive and it didn't fix the issue.

I also have a video card, I can try removing that and installing windows, although I've never had any problems with it.
<div>
How much free space I have:

http://i49.tinypic.com/21nis0i.jpg

When I try to start computer regularly (after format):
<span>

<span>http://i50.tinypic.com/2gxfzif.jpg
<span>

<span>Blue screen of death:
<span>

<span>http://i47.tinypic.com/2layijb.jpg
<span>

<span>When it crashes after I try to install windows:
<span>

<span>http://i45.tinypic.com/ezmjbk.jpg
</div></div><span>

<span>Can someone help me at all? Give me an idea as to why I'm getting this error? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Blue Screen of Death
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Blue Screen of Death
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
That stop code is usually hardware.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2013 7:47 AM PST
In reply to: Blue Screen of Death
Collapse -
PS. Yes, someone reported it was a nvidia driver
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2013 7:58 AM PST

But since you are restoring it to the factory image that moved that possibility to near zero.

Collapse -
Answer
dsf
by filter2700 / January 3, 2013 7:53 AM PST

Thanks, it hasn't been cleaned in quite a while, maybe a year. I have also never replaced the heatsink compound before on this machine, I've owned it since about 2009. I will try that.

Collapse -
Answer
blue screen
by mariacateria / January 4, 2013 2:43 PM PST

i hate blue screen.

Collapse -
Answer
Difficult
by Droid / January 4, 2013 5:56 PM PST

This could be a number of things, its difficult to point to any one issue.

Could be your power supply. Remove your sound & usb cards, unplug any unused drives like floppy & cd, & try booting that way. This should slightly reduce the load on the psu, but if it works that way the fault might also be in one of the bits you unplugged. (I have usb2 cards which cause some computers to blue screen)

Could be your graphics card. But again, removing it will change the load on the power supply so suspect either if you find a difference.

Could be failing capacitors on your main board. Take a good look at all the electrolytics (the cylindrical components, usually near the big power connector). You're looking for bloated ends or leaking fluid. Unfortunately a fix for this fault is difficult & probably needs a new board.

Could be a faulty disk, or ram. if you've more than one stick of ram, try them one at a time. If you have a spare disk, make an image of your existing drive onto the spare, and boot from that.

One other thought, see if your bios has settings for the interrupts. Sometimes you can manually re-arrange the interrupts that are assigned to the PCI slots, and I've seen some that by default assign the same interrupt to all the slots, never a good idea. An interrupt issue might explain why you found a difference when you swapped the cards around.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?