Computer Help forum

General discussion

blue screen errors

by Kyle7979 / April 12, 2008 3:29 AM PDT

I have been getting this blue screen for awhile now.
I just deal it with it. It happens during the middle of a game or just while im on the internet:::

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n87/StrikeAPoseOnACadillac/Picture.jpg

I have no idea whats wrong.
and then last night i got a blue screen i have never seen before:::
http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/6229/img0972gs3.jpg

i replaced my video card and it still does it.

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)

Motherboard:
CPU Type AMD Athlon 64, 2000 MHz (10 x 200) 3200+
Motherboard Name Asus A8V (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN)
Motherboard Chipset VIA K8T800Pro, AMD Hammer
System Memory 1024 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (12/06/05)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)

Display:
Video Adapter ATI Radeon HD 2400 Series AGP (256 MB)
Video Adapter ATI Radeon HD 2400 Series AGP (256 MB)
Monitor ViewSonic VA1912w SERIES [NoDB] (PW6061111658)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: blue screen errors
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: blue screen errors
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ouch. Warranty time.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2008 3:51 AM PDT
In reply to: blue screen errors
Collapse -
by Kyle7979 / April 12, 2008 4:46 AM PDT

i did they never replied back.

Collapse -
Check out that KB article.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2008 4:53 AM PDT
In reply to: .

There is a quick test for heat you can do. Leave the cover off.

But if you read the article you find out that it often is the hardware. What parts do you suspect?

Collapse -
What is common to both errors ...
by Edward ODaniel / April 12, 2008 5:14 AM PDT
In reply to: .

is a possibility of RAM problems.

Assuming you have two 512 meg sticks take one out and run on 512 for a while. If no errors you have likely found the problem. If you still have problems pull the RAM you left in and replace with the one you removed and see what develops.

I am assuming you have already followed the recommendation in the error to disable any cacheing or memory shadowing in the BIOS as well as removing any newly installed hardware or software - if not why not?

Collapse -
didnt work
by Kyle7979 / April 13, 2008 2:35 AM PDT

i took out the rams and it didnt work.
Sad

how do i disable the shadowing...ect.

Collapse -
I read through the rest ...
by Edward ODaniel / April 13, 2008 7:31 AM PDT
In reply to: didnt work

of the posts and see where -

"Well I took our a ram and so far no blue screen!
but I started to play a game to see if I would get it but instead my monitor shut off and said "no signal" and shut off. the light turned orange as it would if it got disconnected as if the computer was off."

Did you then take out that piece of RAM and try the one you previously took out? From what you wrote there you gave up BEFORE testing the second piece of RAM. Also, troubleshooting means that you don't quit on the first problem, you try again to see if it is repeatable (such as rebooting with nothing changed and seeing if it only dies when starting that game because it MIGHT be the game itself).

I asked if you had followed the instructions to disable caching or memory shadowing in the BIOS. You responded -

I have no idea how to do that. haha.
If you can tell me I will definitely try!

You do that by accessing your BIOS settings with whatever key or key combo is necessary when you first boot the computer (often it is the Del key or F10). After accessing the CMOS Setup screen you locate the setting selections for any caching or shadowing and DISABLE them. If the cache on your CPU is damaged it can cause the screens and abrupt crashes you indicate.

You also said -

and glen I do have all the updates I need, thanks!

But you also mentioned a PCI device with a yellow exclamation (and this often indicates an incompletely installed winmodem)

How about you getting BELARC ADVISOR and seeing what it says about the modem.

Collapse -
Just went through that exact
by glenn30 / April 12, 2008 6:27 AM PDT

issue and blue screen message. Only happened when online and would reboot using "Normal" choice. Mine lasted for about 6 weeks until I stumbled upon a newer driver for the modem. Since last Sunday when this was installed there has not been a single instance of blue screen. In my case it was "CXT - Network - PCI Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP" driver. Previous to that it was happening daily and some times more often than that.

My system setup is similar to yours and I also went through the video card and power supply bit only to find a simple driver was causing the issue. Your situation may be different. If my solution is not applicable to your system, then I would recommend looking at updated drivers as a possible solution.

Hope this helps... I know your frustration!

Glenn

Collapse -
By-the-way...
by glenn30 / April 12, 2008 6:32 AM PDT

That is a nice video card... mine is an ATI Sapphire x1650 Pro and is a great improvement over the standard OEM card... digital too.

Just sharing!

Glenn

Collapse -
driver
by Kyle7979 / April 13, 2008 2:36 AM PDT

where can i get that driver?

Collapse -
Kyle, first let me give you
by glenn30 / April 13, 2008 4:14 AM PDT
In reply to: driver

a little background. My operating system is Vista and that driver may or may not apply to your system. It's best to get the latest drivers from the maker of your modem. What happened in my case was an update was offered by Windows Update in late February then about 10 days later on March 11, 2008 they offered another driver update... looking back I think it was to correct the earlier one which most likely was not compatible and caused my blue screen problem. Now with that out of the way lets proceed.

Mine was offered through Windows Update as optional. Not sure if I downloaded it from Microsoft or if I updated through the Vista "Device Manager". If it was me, I would check Windows Updates to see if one is offered for XP. If no success in finding then I would go to the Device Manger through the Control Center... scroll down to modem and then highlight the driver, right click and select Properties. There you will find a description of what you have and the date and will be given the option to "Update". That is probably the best way to work this.

Hope this helps... wish I could be more precise and clearer.

Good Luck!

Glenn

Collapse -
no modem
by Kyle7979 / April 13, 2008 4:34 AM PDT

I don't have a modem in my device manager.

but one my PCI device there is a yellow exclamation mark.

Collapse -
Not seeing you screen...
by glenn30 / April 13, 2008 4:43 AM PDT
In reply to: no modem

I am unable to offer advice but that yellow exclamation mark denotes something amiss in whatever device it is referring to. Look for an Update to the driver if one is given.

Sorry I am unable to be more precise... keep poking around and check properties for that item with the exclamation mark. My knowledge of XP has faded... maybe someone with better knowledge will chime in.

Glenn

Collapse -
by Kyle7979 / April 12, 2008 12:22 PM PDT

"I am assuming you have already followed the recommendation in the error to disable any cacheing or memory shadowing in the BIOS as well as removing any newly installed hardware or software - if not why not?"

I have no idea how to do that. haha.
If you can tell me I will definitely try!

and I have not removed my ram I will remove one of them to see.

and glen I do have all the updates I need, thanks!

Collapse -
hmmmm?
by Kyle7979 / April 12, 2008 4:09 PM PDT

Well I took our a ram and so far no blue screen!
but I started to play a game to see if I would get it but instead my monitor shut off and said "no signal" and shut off. the light turned orange as it would if it got disconnected as if the computer was off.

Its all plugged in. this has happend before.

Collapse -
That's a sign of hardware issues too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2008 10:39 PM PDT
In reply to: hmmmm?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!