HolidayBuyer's Guide

Mac OS forum

General discussion

Blue screen, colourfull pinwheel

by sarasvatia / May 10, 2008 2:28 AM PDT

Until not so long ago, upon opening my Mac, I would get a grey screen with a quick spin of a black spoked wheel and - hey presto Modesto - the computer opened. Now, I get a longish view of a pretty blue nothing and a somewhat longer spin of the colourful wheel. How do I make the latter go away?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Blue screen, colourfull pinwheel
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Blue screen, colourfull pinwheel
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
More details
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 10, 2008 3:39 AM PDT

OS version
Mac Type
Attached peripherals

anything you can think of that is mentioned in the red type above the text box when you create or reply to a thread

P

Collapse -
blue screen, etc.
by sarasvatia / May 10, 2008 6:39 AM PDT
In reply to: More details

Oops. Sorry I forgot about the details:

Mine is a macbook laptop, os 10.5.2, separated by one floor from the airport. I have a logitech wireless mouse's wee remote thingo plugged into one of the usb ports. I tried using the disk utility, to no avail.

I shut the laptop down and disconnect it from the internet and power almost every night.

Btw: if I have other Qs, is it OK to add, or should I start another thread?

Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
When your MacBook was new,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 10, 2008 8:26 AM PDT
In reply to: blue screen, etc.

it really had nothing on it, save what came with it.
Then you started to add stuff, updated the OS, installed applications, created your own files and, over time, the system just grew.

If you want to eliminate stuff, turn off the wireless before you shut down and then reboot. Now the system will not be trying to connect to anything.
If it boots really fast, it's the wireless, if not, then on to something else.

Yep, just post questions in this thread.

We'll be happy to try to answer them

P

Collapse -
Blue screen...
by sarasvatia / May 10, 2008 9:09 AM PDT

Okee dowkee w/thanx. I'll try your suggestion in a moment.

My other Qs (tks for agreeing to add them to this thread):

1.My Leopard CD is the regular (not family version) - is it ok to install it on my other Mac, a desktop?

2. I forgot my password, so I cannot update the software. How can I get around this, if at all?

3. If I forget my wireless mouse while away w/the laptop, if I pull out the wee remote thingo presently in the USB port, will that let me go back to using the trackpad?

4. How can I connect my 2 Macs (laptop and desktop) to the airport? At present, I switch the wire between the a/port & the CPU. I think the magic word is 'router'. If so, is there anything particular I want to ask for when I'm at my local Radio Shack?

5.What does the port on the laptop (looks like a "Y") connect to?

Many thanks for your help.

Collapse -
answers
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 10, 2008 11:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Blue screen...

1. Your copy of Leopard is, strictly speaking, for one machine only. Although it will work, it is not quite legal.
2. Yes, using the OS X installation disk. Boot from it and choose Password Reset from the Menu at the top of the screen, after you have selected your language of choice.
3. Pull the "thingy' out and you will be back to the track pad. The track pad is active, even though the thingy is plugged in.
4. Both Mac's will connect to the Airport base station, at the same time, if they both use the Wireless that is built in to each Mac. Do NOT use the ethernet cable to connect the Macs. The only ethernet cable should be between the Cable/DSL modem and the Airport base station.
5. Is that the symbol or the shape of the port? You have USB, Firewire, Ethernet and Video ports on that machine. (not counting the power port,of course)

How's that for starters?

P

Collapse -
blue screen, colourful pinwheel
by sarasvatia / May 16, 2008 2:33 PM PDT
In reply to: answers

Oh, my, lawd. How awesome! With grateful thanks, of course. And more Qs:

I'm not quite sure I understand your answer to #4. How do I tell the ethernet cable from a non-ethernet cable? In order to connect the laptop to the internet, the provider's cable goes into the airport. Where does the desktop's wire go? That's assuming it can be plugged into the airport: what do I want to find the in the apple menu (about this mac) to get that info?

The blue screen et al still persists. There are times when the blue screen lasts forever, and the pinwheel won't stop. The only thing that helps mitigate this insanity is to unplug the wire and shut the laptop down for a half-hour or so. Could it be my neighbour hitching a ride? How can I tell if I have a freeloader souring my surfing pleasures?

You are my saviour, Mr. Macfixit. I hope my Qs are not too obnoxious...

Collapse -
Question #4 Redux
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 16, 2008 11:00 PM PDT

As you have a newer Mac, I am going to assume that you are using the term Airport, to mean an Apple Airport Exteme Basestation. Correct me if I'm wrong.

To connect both machines to the internet, at the same time, try this.

The providers cable, or phone line for DSL, should be connected to the providers supplied (usually) modem.
The modem, in a single user setup, is directly connected to the desktop via a length of Cat5 ethernet cable. This is a lot fatter than a phone cable and has a 6 pin connector (male) on both ends. They look like regular phone connectors on steroids. The are bigger.
This cable plugs in to the network port of the desktop.

Your setup should be:
1. Providers cable into the modem
2. Cat5 cable from Modem to Apple AIrport base station. (into the WAN socket at the rear)
3. Laptop connects wirelessly to the Airport Base station
4. Desktop connects directly to the Airport base station, with a length of Cat5 ethernet cable, to one of the four empty ports at the back of the Airport base station.
5. Both go surfing together.
6. There is no #6

If you do not have an Apple Airport base station, the above works with any wireless router. They all, almost, have 1 Wide Area Network (WAN) port and 4 Local Area Network (LAN) ports.

That piece of cable that you keep switching around? That's Cat5 ethernet cable. Now you will recognize it again in the store. Of course, the label on the package will give it away too! Happy

Let us know how you get on

Once we have that sorted out, we can try something for the blue screen

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.