HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

Question

Blue Screen auto shut-off help???

by xsv1nrg2 / June 13, 2014 6:06 AM PDT

I try leaving my computer on over the night to download and run programs, but when I come back to check at it in the morning its sitting on the log in screen asking for your password. So it seems im getting blue screen sometime through the night, also to not i have it set under my settings to auto restart when I get a blue screen. As well when im using the computer at random times when im browsing the web, ect. it while just hit a blue screen and restart.

The code i got from checking the blue screen is:

STOP:0x00000019(0x0000000000000003,0xfffffa80069845b0,0xfffffa8006984553,0xfffffa8006984529).

System was just built. Win7 64bit-z77Extreme-8gigRAM(Crossfire i think?)-Radeon HD7800-SilencerPower. That most of the main stuff. The rest is just as new with the same higher end quality.

I really appreciate any help and feedback from you all. Thanks -Tony

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Blue Screen auto shut-off help???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Blue Screen auto shut-off help???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Torrents
by itsdigger / June 13, 2014 7:00 AM PDT

when you leave your computer on over the night to download and run programs, are you downloading torrents?

Digger

Collapse -
by xsv1nrg2 / June 13, 2014 7:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Torrents

No, some of the things are like- Windows updates,Steam updates and game downloads, ect.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Did you research this?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 13, 2014 6:16 AM PDT
Collapse -
Amazing thing, that Google search :-)
by wpgwpg / June 13, 2014 6:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Did you research this?

I know some folks think reading the user guide could give you leprosy, but I'm starting to wonder the same thing about online searches. Confused

Collapse -
What I'm running into more than ever.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 13, 2014 6:49 AM PDT

Is that folk believe that give stop code 0x19 and some dump file that it can be diagnosed and always get it cured.

I can understand why. Many of the newer owners didn't hear or read all the microsoft bashing over the years or live through DOS to present day. The best advice for folk that don't want to deal with this is to get a ready to use PC and make it a problem for someone else.
Bob

Collapse -
The Argument for Buying Built PCs -- I Agree
by tonyny77 / June 14, 2014 12:10 AM PDT

I most emphatically agree with Bob Proffitt's advice to buy ready-to-use PCs.

Although I've certainly messed around inside my systems -- adding RAM, adding expansion slot cards, changing drives, and innumerable other things -- one thing I'd never try is to select my system's individual components. Assembly isn't the part I'm worried about; selecting matched/compatible components is my chief concern. With all the things to worry about -- potential firmware conflicts, possible speed limitations/conflicts, a non-working new component, improper jumper settings, optimizing the BIOS settings and more -- I'd never trust myself to select the correct, optimally-matched and properly configured components.

I mean, if people want to try it, then by all means, have fun. But I guess I'm among those who can tolerate only a limited amount of trouble-shooting before my patience completely runs out. Thanks, Bob, for more great advice.

Tony

Collapse -
It's not THAT difficult
by Jimmy Greystone / June 14, 2014 12:29 AM PDT

It's not THAT difficult. Once you make sure the CPU and motherboard will play nicely together, the rest is pretty simple as far as selecting components since most of the things you mentioned no longer apply. The real problem is how if you go the Intel route, now the pins are on the motherboard socket instead of the CPU. It's really easy for a pin to get bent on the motherboard rendering the entire thing useless, but it lowers Intel's manufacturing costs, so that's why they do it.

I think of far greater concern is a lot of people don't know how to properly handle sensitive electronic components. I one time personally saw people who were putting together a "build your own PC" type video and were just walking around holding a motherboard like it were a book or piece of paper as opposed to an easily damaged bit of electronics. These were people being paid to give advise to other people on fixing their computer problems. I'm not sure if I was visibly wincing at the time, but I sure was mentally. If you don't know how to properly handle electronic components, you'll likely damage something before you even get it installed, rendering all other potential issues moot.

Collapse -
Building a PC
by xsv1nrg2 / June 14, 2014 3:31 AM PDT

Ive prolly built over 1000 machines. Definitely now how to handle components. Also its not intel, its a z77 extreme, so its AMD

Collapse -
if you built
by itsdigger / June 14, 2014 6:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Building a PC

how did you put it....Oh Yeah "Ive prolly built over 1000 machines. Definitely now how to handle components" ...

Why are you here asking for advice?
Fix it and be done with your nonsense

Digger

Collapse -
AMD?
by Hforman / June 14, 2014 2:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Building a PC

You do know that AMD CPUs run a bit hotter than Intel. Did you adjust cooling to compensate for that? What I've found is that (maybe not you) a lot of people who swap components don't really pay attention to environmentals. That is, power and cooling. I've seen one guy who had a similar issue. He took an older PC (at the time, a few years ago) and swapped out the HDD for one with 10,000 RPMs. Well, the case would not handle that so the HDD died after some blue screens so he had it replaced for another one and the same thing happened. Turns out the cooling just wasn't there (baffles) for a drive of that speed. So, there is always the possibility that something as stupid as a case or case inserts could cause bluescreens and the death of the HDD. This is only an example of what I've seen.

One of the best debugging tools I've seen is the event log. It is probably not enough just to look at the "event in question". You need to know when it crashed and what started up just before the crash. Is this crash at a particular time? Have you made sure you used all 64-bit drivers (while some 32 bit programs can run in 64-bit Windows, 32-bit drivers rarely work and same goes for XP vs. Win7 in the driver arena). So, despite the CPU and RAM working together, I've seen a printer driver crash the system. Or a tape drive driver. All you need is to have the 32/64-bit versions flipped or, sometimes, you just don't have the latest Win7 version of the driver. That is enough to bluescreen the system.

Collapse -
CPU and RAM
by Hforman / June 14, 2014 2:47 PM PDT

That does not mean much. RAM and the Memory are the least issue of bluescreens. Usually, if those are incorrect, the thing won't boot in the first place. What usually causes bluescreens?

1) FANS (too hot)
2) Power Supply (too small to handle all the components that feed off of it or may generate too much heat)
3) DRIVERS: the number ONE problem. Unlike programs that you usually can get running if they are 32 bit and the OS is 64-bit, or they are for XP or early WIN7, drivers are usually very fussy. I saw blue screens that were fixed by a latest printer driver. Yes, printer driver. Drivers run at high levels in the OS.

I agree about the static-sensitivity. I've seen the same thing where users think they can just hold onto a component for an hour and then wonder why there is a problem. I usually get: "Haven't they fixed that issue yet?" It will never happen.

Here is one for "overnight" blue screens: A person buys a tape drive for nightly backups (or a special HDD) and they don't have current and proper drivers. (32/64 and latest WIN7). The machine runs fine until, late at night, the backup kicks in. Down it goes with a bluescreen.. I think the OP should at least check the currency and correctness of his drivers. I've made mistakes before.

Collapse -
Selecting parts
by xsv1nrg2 / June 14, 2014 3:28 AM PDT

I actually know hardware quite well. All the parts are completely compatible

Collapse -
So it's the OS and drivers?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 14, 2014 3:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Selecting parts

Try Linux next and see if it's OK.

Collapse -
So then
by Jimmy Greystone / June 14, 2014 3:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Selecting parts

So then you should be well versed in using Google to find information. After all, you need to be able to tell the difference between a legitimate hardware issue and an issue with the software. So while software may not be your primary focus, you should have at least a better than average understanding of it. Making it all the more strange that your first post didn't mention how you searched for solutions, tried X, Y and Z, which didn't work, so now you're looking for other possibilities.

Collapse -
Google problem code
by xsv1nrg2 / June 13, 2014 7:12 AM PDT

ive put the code in and nothing. Just wondering the standard fix people use on blue screen errors than happen frequently.

Collapse -
There is no standard fix.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 13, 2014 7:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Google problem code

It's all about you checking out the prior reports and then considering if anything sounds close. It sounds horrible but the state of the industry is still pretty as you see it. However it is all new so you could RMA what parts you feel are not good and exchange them till you get a working system.

Or keep telling more such as "I pulled the HDD from a working system then installed drivers." That's a known problem.

As to finding nothing, I found plenty. Just like all other BSODs. The continuing issue is the BSOD code is just one piece of the 1000 piece puzzle.
Bob

Collapse -
All Brand New Parts
by xsv1nrg2 / June 13, 2014 1:52 PM PDT

All the hardware is brand new. bought every single item off of Newegg-built it up- then this. got another error recently with a another long code that was different, this one did say however, "Memory Management"
STOP: 0x0000001a. Was just messing around on chrome and media player and it happened.

Collapse -
Memory Management
by Hforman / June 16, 2014 3:54 AM PDT
In reply to: All Brand New Parts

Hard to say. Remembering that in a Microsoft world, "Memory" does not imply just RAM. It also takes into account PAGING.SYS. You might want to look there or even remove the paging file and replacing it with a new one. For RAM, the only thing you usually have for that is memory h/w tests.

Collapse -
Prior Reports?
by xsv1nrg2 / June 13, 2014 1:55 PM PDT

Also what do you mean by "checking the prior reports and considering if anything sounds close"? if by prior reports you mean the blue screens i believe some have been the same and some different, but it sounds irrelevant even if there the same because its impossible to find out what they are from what im hearing?

Collapse -
I meant the web.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 13, 2014 10:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Prior Reports?

Use the search engine and see what others found to fix this error. I am however seeing folk that expect to avoid that or expect others to know what is causing this on their new PC. The sheer volume of details to know what it is, is a lot of detail so for now the usual resolutions have been to date.

1. Read prior posts on the web found with google or search engines.
2. Return parts until you find it.
3. Take it to a repair shop.
4. Send it all back and try another build.
Bob

Collapse -
STEPS
by xsv1nrg2 / June 14, 2014 3:35 AM PDT
In reply to: I meant the web.

1.Like i said prior. searched for the problem in google and nothing came up.
2. Parts are usually a 30 day return policy(older than 30 days)
3. Will prolly end up doing this one.
4. I dont own a money tree(ie:cant afford another $1500 rig)

Collapse -
do what you need to do
by itsdigger / June 14, 2014 7:03 AM PDT
In reply to: STEPS

you came here asking questions and it seems your'e a pro so do what yoy gotta do

Digger

Collapse -
I have to guess you are in a strange country now.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 14, 2014 8:31 AM PDT
In reply to: STEPS

I checked and there's plenty of web posts about that error. You own this machine so you remain the best one to pick out prior ideas on the repair.
Bob

Collapse -
Wonder if the OP
by itsdigger / June 13, 2014 7:22 AM PDT

even looked at the link you supplied Bob?

Digger

Collapse -
Answer
What I Had Meant
by Hforman / June 16, 2014 3:56 AM PDT

Was to document events in ALL event logs leading up to the crash. So, for example, did a service start or kick off a task just before the crash. It was just a suggestion.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.