HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

blue screen

by softsailor / October 16, 2007 4:56 AM PDT

hi
my computer its about 5 years old. has windows xp family 2005 on it.
well here is my problem, i have reformated and installed
xp family, did all the updates, downloaded avg for anti virus
defraged. when i have done all of this i can go on the internet
shut down the computer turn it back on all of this on the same day
and everything works fine.

ok next i shut down the computer for the night (i am talking for
maybe 8 hours at the most). i go back and turn on the computer and i
get this blue screen and it says i have a hardware or software problem.
i do not know enough about computer so i have reformat and install xp
family again and everything works fine, until i shut it down for
the night and i have that blue screen again that says i have a
software or hardware problem.
so i took it to a tech and they checked it out and said everything
was good. i brought it home and guess what???????????

AGAIN WITH THE BLUE SCREEN AND IT SAYING I HAVE A HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE
PROBLEM.

what is my problem and how do i fix it. i do not think its that hard to fix but i do not know how. and the tech that i took it to was not much help and cost me lots of money

i can follow direction if it is not to technecal. please keep all help as simple as possible.

thankyou

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: blue screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: blue screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Please Give Us The EXACT Error Message
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 16, 2007 6:54 AM PDT
In reply to: blue screen

Also, which XP are you installing? Pro or Home and which service pack?

Did you install all the appropriate drivers during the XP reinstallations? XP doesn't provide motherboard/chipset drivers, video drivers, audio drivers, etc. You must install those separately.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
reply to: blue screen
by caktus / October 16, 2007 7:11 AM PDT

Did you give the complete error message?

Sounds like some kind of hardware conflict.

Turn off the computer and all peripheral hard ware such as keyboard, mouse, speakers, printers, scanners, cameras, etc. and disconnect these items from the computer. ECEPT the monitor. Leave the monitor connected to the computer.

Restart the computer to see if it loads the Operating System. If the OS loads, turn off and unplug the computer and reconnect one peace of the peripheral hard ware. Again, restart the computer. If the OS loads as it should, continue to reinstall one more peace of peripheral hardware at a time until you find out which piece of hardware is causing the conflict.

Post back how it goes.

Charlie

Collapse -
Blue Screen
by davidrio / February 17, 2009 8:36 PM PST
In reply to: reply to: blue screen

This is the message it say's on the screen.

A problem has been detected & window's has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, rest your computer.
If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen and it apperars agian, follow these steps

Disable or uninstall any anti virus disk defragmentation or back up utilites check your hard drive configuration or back up utilites, check your hard drive confiuration and check any updated drivers RUN CHKDSK/F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your Computer Technical information :

***STOP 0X0000024 (0X00190203X 0X812A178 0X00000102 X0X00000000)

EVERYTHING WAS FINE UNTILL I UNPLUGGED IT AND NOW THIS !! ?

i've try'd to follow these instructions but the system wont allow me to search for any thing !!

thanks for your advice i'll do tonight and see if works please any more advice would be greatful !

Collapse -
Don't shut it down.
by BrianZachary / October 16, 2007 8:44 PM PDT

I know this isn't addressing your problem, but it isn't necessary to shut your computer down for the night. That's why there is stand-by and hibernation modes. I've heard that it actually uses more power to turn a computer on or off than to just leave it turned on. Don't know if that's true, just what I've heard.

I'm assuming when you say "windows xp family 2005" you mean Windows XP Home Edition. XP only has 2 versions, Home and Pro.

It's too bad you learned your lesson about going to a tech the hard way. Always check forums before wasting money going to a tech who doesn't help you.

I hope you can get your problem fixed.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.