TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Blue Ray player audio help

by Rgbar39 / December 24, 2008 1:35 AM PST

am narrowing down my search for the Blue Ray disk player I will buy and am thoroughly confused about what I need for proper audio handling. Hopefully you can give me some direction. I have the following setup:

My amp is a Yamaha RX620 which is kinda "long in the tooth" but it works fine for what I do with it today. It handles (decodes?) DTS, Dolby 5.1, Dolby digital in 2 channel, analog, and PCM (no HDMI).

My HDTV is a 57" Toshiba 57HX81 which predates HDMI so it does not have an HDMI input, it has two component video ("ColrorStream") inputs for 1080i input and displays a great HD 1080i picture from my HD cable service.

I'm looking at the Panasonic BDP 35 Blue Ray player. From reading the reviews, the BDP 35 really delivers great 1080i video but I have no idea if its audio handling is correct for my Yamaha amp. Am I ok with the BDP 35 or do I need to make another choice of player (hopefully at a similar price point).

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Blue Ray player audio help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Blue Ray player audio help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
its a perfect choice
by jostenmeat / December 24, 2008 7:22 AM PST

the only thing i can think of is if your receiver has multi chan analog connections, then i would go with the bd55 for that output.

the pana's are much more convenient than Sony s350/ps3 for not having to delve into the audio menu to select between different audio output selections. the bd35 also recodes mch PCM into DD/DTS, and the Sony cannot. If you ever watch a bluray that is recorded in mch uncompressed pcm, but does not offer legacy tracks, you can still achieve surround sound. You wouldn'd with the Sony players.

IOW, good choice.

Collapse -
Still confused
by Rgbar39 / December 24, 2008 11:38 AM PST

Thanks for the input. However I'm still confused. I'm fairly adept technically when it comes to computers and video (HD and otherwise) but when it comes to the myriad of audio inputs, ouputs, decoders, etc., I am close to clueless. Whether my "receiver has multi chan analog connections" or not is beyond me. I have included a link to the Yamaha page that shows the specs for my Yamaha receiver. Hopefully you or someone can look at it and let me know if I am ok with the Panasonic BDP 35 (I hope so because of it's price point compared to the 55). Thanks.
http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/av/pdfs/moreinfo/rxv620.pdf

Collapse -
Additional info
by Rgbar39 / December 24, 2008 11:59 AM PST
In reply to: Still confused

This is additional information which I should have included in my previous post which may make a difference to those who choose to help me figure it out. My sysetm is a home theater setup with center, left front, right front, left and right rear (elevated), and powered sub-woofer speakers.

Collapse -
good on you for the link
by jostenmeat / December 25, 2008 5:25 AM PST
In reply to: Still confused

the pic is blurry, but it appears where it says "6 channel external decoder...." inputs is for what I called the m-ch analogs.

Sometimes, using this connection is more of a pain. You will be at the mercy of the player's own DAC, bass mgmt (xover selections, etc), which are almost always more limited than a receiver. OTOH, Yammies aren't known to be very flexible either, sometimes without choice in that kind of thing.

So Bd35 will get you surround sound. However, the BD55 at $100 more can you lossless audio via those mch analogs. Up to you. Tuffie.

If you think you will upgrade receiver, say in the next year, you can save the $100 now. If your going to keep the receiver for a long time, I would greatly consider spending on the bd55 for the mch analog output. You do get DivX as well, granted, not many people care about that.

Collapse -
Thanks
by Rgbar39 / December 25, 2008 12:05 PM PST

Thanks,
I appreciate your input on this. It's a tough time of year to get any attention on forum or blog questions like this. The best I can do on the 55 is about $150 above the 35. I'll look at the 55 and also what it takes to change out my receiver to one that includes HDMI.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?