TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Blue Ray picture average, sound below average

I have a Sony Blu Ray player and a Toshiba LCD TV. Blu ray conected to TV with HDMI cable. Blu Ray connected to AV receiver with digital optical cable. My picture is comparable to HD but nothing spectacular like I see at the store. My audio has to be turned up to near maiximum volume to be heard. What am I doing wrong?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Blue Ray picture average, sound below average
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Blue Ray picture average, sound below average
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
audio/video

In reply to: Blue Ray picture average, sound below average

Well first off, the HDTVs you see in the store usually have maximum brightness and contrast turned up to over saturate the images to make them "pop" on the demo displays. You wouldn't want your home HDTV set like those because your lighting is different and you want more natural tones to colors than the over-saturated ones in the stores. You could try going to the "HDTV picture settings" forum to the left and search for your TV model or a similar model to see what CNET recommends for pictures settings. Also, maybe go into your HDTV and Blu-ray player picture settings to see if anything seems wrong.

As for the audio, you don't get the TrueHD and DTS-MA audio tracks when using the digital audio cable to your receiver, you would need to use HDMI or multichannel analog to your receiver for that. But I assume your receiver does not have HDMI inputs or the multichannel analog inputs. You could try boosting the dB levels in your receiver's setup menu to each speaker so it is louder...but I have definitely noticed that with Blu-rays I have to turn my receiver up more than usual to hear the dialog at a reasonable level. They do this because they want to give you the sound of a movie theater. That means, turning your volume up to hear the dialog but they they hit you with loud special effects to give you that movie theater experience.

Collapse -
What do you mean by "comparible to HD"?

In reply to: Blue Ray picture average, sound below average

How does it differ from what you've seen in the store?

You could check your blu-ray players settings and make sure it knows to output the sound via optical as opposed to the HDMI cable. Or your could run the optical cable from the TV back to to the AVR. Either way, make sure any device you are passing through to get to another device is set to "pass through" the sound or picture.

As the other poster mentioned, you will get degraded sound out of a blu-ray player via optical but it still should sound as good or better than standard Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1.

Collapse -
thanks

In reply to: What do you mean by "comparible to HD"?

thanks for the replies. yeah, my av receiver is old, no hdmi inputs. I was afraid that was the answer. My picture is comparable to HD, I mean it looks like HD but definitely not better. I thought I read that the blu ray picture looks better than hd. at least it does at the store.

Collapse -
Blu-ray is HD.

In reply to: thanks

And it will look better than any other HD source out there right now. What are you comparing it to and are you looking at the same material on both sets?

Blu-ray will outperform just about any other signal whether it be HD or SD but a blu-ray can't make a crappy beat up old film that has not been taken care of look any better than its going to look. Garbage in equals garbage out.

Collapse -
Do more reading/research

In reply to: thanks

Like many consumers, you would benefit from first doing a bit of reading before making such a technological purchase. It help to know beforehand what you are getting and what you should expect.

Collapse -
thanks

In reply to: Do more reading/research

It was a Christmas gift.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.