Computer Help forum

General discussion

Blue color icon witha symbol ">>" appear on text files

Hi,

I found this forum very useful. Recently I came across a new issue with my Laptop. The issue is on my desktop and on my MY DOCUMENTS folder all the Ms -office files, text files and PDF files: An icon appears in blue color with a symbol ">>". May I know what is this. Currently I running my laptop with WinXP sp3, norton anti virus.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Blue color icon witha symbol ">>" appear on text files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Blue color icon witha symbol ">>" appear on text files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm thinking, Compressed Files.

In reply to: Blue color icon witha symbol ">>" appear on text files

I'm not sure, but I wonder if these are compressed files.

In My Documents, are you viewing the files in Icon or Thumbnail view? If so, change the view to List or Details, using the change view icon in the menu bar.

That way they will list as file names and not just icons, the >> will disappear. If the file names are in blue, then my guess is they have been compressed. That's nothing to worry about as this is used to save hard disk space, but using those files again will uncompress them.

But then you say they appear on your Desktop as well, (do you mean the desktop display on your laptop?). I can't explain that unless they are also compressed files.

Mark

Collapse -
Please find the link to the blue colored icon

In reply to: I'm thinking, Compressed Files.

Collapse -
Re: Here's your solution

In reply to: Please find the link to the blue colored icon

syedapex, You're probably using Norton 360 which puts those blue boxes with the two white chevrons (arrows or greater than symbols) are to show the backup status of folders and files. If you don't want them turn off the automatic backup option in Norton and the blue boxes will be gone.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
More info.

In reply to: Re: Here's your solution

There is an option in Norton 360 to turn off the backup status overlays (Blue boxes). This must be selected to remove the overlays. The automatic backup can remain on, and if the backup status overlays are turned off, the icons will no longer be placed on the files that Norton is scheduled to back up.

Should have added this to my previous reply.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Abd yet more info

In reply to: More info.

Collapse -
Issue Resolved. Thanks You so much

In reply to: Abd yet more info

First of all I am shock to see those quick replies and answers. And I want to Thank both of you "MarkFlax" and "Tufenuf" for their great replies so quickly and solved my issues. It was pleasure seeing your replies. Thanks you so much once again.

Collapse -
Not me, but well done.

In reply to: Issue Resolved. Thanks You so much

I can take no credit as I wasn't aware that Norton 360 did this. The credit all goes to Tuf. Happy

Glad you got it sorted. Nice one.

Mark

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.