TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Blu-Ray to go with Samsung TV and Onkyo HT

by lxman7 / August 1, 2010 4:05 AM PDT

Okay. I'm new to all of this so please forgive if this topic has been chewed over before. Can't seem to locate a search mode for forum topics--there are A LOT..and I'm quite a novice to A/V terms and features.
Here we go:
I have a Samsung 6300 LED TV. I am THINKING of purchasing an Onkyo HT-S7200 to complement it. I am looking for a Blu-Ray player to add to this future system.
To start, I have a few questions.
1) From what I can gather, the HT-S7200 will up-convert so would I need a BR player that can do this also??
2) I can't seem to locate ANY BR player that users don't tear apart in their reviews. Are there any out there worth their salt? If so, would any members here care to suggest a few that would go with the system I'm thinking of creating?
3) Are there any comments/suggestions regarding my choice of system components?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Blu-Ray to go with Samsung TV and Onkyo HT
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Blu-Ray to go with Samsung TV and Onkyo HT
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Maybe a little late
by Jonmor68 / August 3, 2010 6:38 AM PDT

but why not go with the Samsung Blu-Ray player.
I'm far too many years behind in the quality audio gear, so can't comment on that.
A week ago I decided to get a Blu-ray player and got the LG on special, only to find when I got it home that it had a coax audio connector and my JVC surround sound has an optical one.
I also found the interface a bit basic and while it had a network connection to the internet, I couldn't find any way to connect to the pc.
Connecting to an external usb drive worked but the file menu was poor as it was all very large file icons and hard to read file names.
Fortunatly I was in time to get a refund as they didn't have a Samsung in stock.
I used the refund to go one of theior sister stores with the refund card and got the Samsung BD-C5500, while this is their basic model, it was a huge improvement over the LG.
Audio output matched, network with pc works great as well as the included internet applications.
The interface was a huge improvement, file icons for video actually displayed an image and were better organised.
Overall it was so much better that had I been able to view both before purchase in action, I would have gladly paid more for the Samsung.
I also have a Samsung tv, when I turn the Blu-ray off it switches itself back to tv.

Collapse -
Not too late
by lxman7 / August 3, 2010 6:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Maybe a little late

and appreciate your input. I went ahead and purchased the HT-S7200, but am still looking for the Blu-Ray. Going Samsung (to complement the TV) is where I'm leaning as it seems the best solution for compatibility, as you mentioned.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.