TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Blu-ray, Receiver, TV hookup

by G.A. Kuehn / February 27, 2008 4:17 AM PST

Am waiting for delivery of Panasonic DMP-BD30 and Pioneer PDP-5010 FD Plasma.
I have read ops manuals for both but am unsure re best audio hookup.
I intend to use HDMI from both the Blu-ray and my cable box to my Sony STR DA3200ES receiver and HDMI from receiver to the plasma.
Do I need to use a digital (optical or coax) cable as well as the HDMI from the Blu-ray to the receiver? I know the Sony will only handle DD or DTS but I don't want to upgrade at this time.
Also what about the analog connections? My speaker setup is 5.1 due to room size.
Same question re the Sci. Atlanta cable box.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Blu-ray, Receiver, TV hookup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Blu-ray, Receiver, TV hookup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
well....
by givemeaname / February 27, 2008 4:41 AM PST

I think you receiver can do PCM via HDMI (the best audio) + the Panasonic DMP-BD30 can interanly decode Dolby True HD & DTS-HD, so you can get those. The Player decodes the audio & then the receiver is used as an AMP, but in the future it is much better to have a receiver decode it, you will get better sound using a receiver to decode the audio, then a player.

Sounds like your fine. Do any update the BD player may need, calibrate your tv & set the audio on the BD player to PCM out & have fun!!!

No you don't need optical or coax since your running the HDMI to the receiver. You may want to run an optical direct to the tv, so you will not have to have the receiver on ALL THE TIME, but you would have to then change the audio from PCM to bitstream & change it back when you use your reciever.

Collapse -
hi
by jostenmeat / February 27, 2008 5:04 AM PST

the BD-30 cannot internally decode the new hi def formats, only bitstream. This is important to know.

Also, FW just got released yesterday to completely fix -5db cut in LFE, among other things:
http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/bd/download/bd30/bd30.html

For support from AVSer':
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=998399

Analogs will not do anything for you with this player. Also forget analogs on sci atlanta, unless a shotgun pair of RCAs to tv, for tv speakers only at times.

Best of luck

Collapse -
the why...
by givemeaname / February 27, 2008 5:21 AM PST
In reply to: hi
Collapse -
on your link it says exactly this
by jostenmeat / February 27, 2008 5:49 AM PST
In reply to: the why...

Dolby Digital/Dolby Digital Plus Decoder Bitstream output using required HDMI? connection
Dolby True HD Decoder Bitstream output using required HDMI? connection
DTS/DTS-HD High Resolution/Master Audio Decoder Bitstream output using required HDMI? connection

Collapse -
yep
by bevillan / February 27, 2008 6:32 AM PST

The only BR player that will be able to decode the new HD codecs is the yet-to-be-released Panasonic DMP-BD50 (out this fall/winter)

THe BD30 will just pass the HD audio track to the receiver via HDMI so the receiver can decode it if the receiver can. If not, then the receiver will 'downgrade' the TrueHD to DD and DTS-HD to DTS. However, you will notice better sound from the 'downgraded' version for DD/DTS because the signal has a higher bitrate.

Collapse -
Thanks
by G.A. Kuehn / March 2, 2008 1:16 AM PST
In reply to: hi

Thanks for the help with my audio dilemma.

I'm still waiting for delivery of TV and bluray player.

New ? for you.

I notice that some receiver ads tout 1080P, HD sound process etc.
Since my Sony STR DA3200ES does handle HDMI but doesn't mention 1080P in the manual, will it output all of the 1080P detail when playing bluray?

Thanks again
G.A. Kuehn

Collapse -
(NT) Yes, it should
by jostenmeat / March 2, 2008 4:37 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?