General discussion

Blu-ray Players - What should I be looking for?

Im starting to look around at Blu-ray players and they range from $200 - $400 .. What are the differentiating features between blu-ray players? What features should I make sure my future blu-ray player has, and why.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Blu-ray Players - What should I be looking for?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Blu-ray Players - What should I be looking for?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -

If you have an older reciver, look for 7.1 analogs outs & internal decodeing... like the Sony 350 (5.1 analogs), Sony 550 (7.1 analogs), Samsung bd-p2500 (7.1), Panasonic DMP-BD55 (7.1), Sharp BD-HP50 (5.1).

If you have lots of dvd's... dvd playback... The Samsung bd-p2500 is the best, then the Sony's, Panasonic models have had bad reviews on dvd playback.

Ethernet.. yes

- Collapse -
scratch the Sony 350...

it has 2.0 analog outs... some reason I keep thinking it has 5.1 outs

- Collapse -
The best PQ in that budget

will be Panasonic models. I can't think of what you will be missing with the BD-55 at the upper end of your budget.

Its true that Uniphier in Pannys have been reviewed poorly for SD playback, but OTOH I have read that FW updates have greatly improved this (as has happened likewise with the PS3 a while ago).

In a recent 6 player shootout between sammy 1500, sony 350, sony ps3, a couple of pioneers, and the panny bd-50, it was only the panasonic to pass all HQV tests.

The ps3 is the best value for many because of the media center + gaming console.

the Panasonics are the best bd players for PQ in their class.

CNET Forums