Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Blu ray/HDTV question

by gman_eb / December 14, 2008 7:33 AM PST

Hey everyone, I just joined and I have a question. I have a 42" Panasonic HDTV. Its only 720p. Would it be worth it to get a Blu ray dvd player? My cousin is a big electronics guru and he said it would be fine because my TV is smaller than 60". Something about if you had an 720p 60" tv you wouldnt get the quality of a Blu ray as you would with a 60" 1080p tv. I thought I would ask around and get some more opinions. Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Blu ray/HDTV question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Blu ray/HDTV question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
no worries
by Pepe7 / December 14, 2008 10:57 AM PST
In reply to: Blu ray/HDTV question

Blu ray will likely look outstanding on most HDTVs, certainly compared to SDTV or DVD resolution. The real issue is whether or not buying a 1080p HDTV instead of 720p at sizes less than 50" makes a difference at typical viewing distances. In any case, a blu ray disc with 1080p will be downsampled to match the 720p native resolution of your Panny, but will still look great. No worries. Enjoy it.

Collapse -
Thanks
by gman_eb / December 14, 2008 1:03 PM PST
In reply to: no worries

Thank you! Now the question is, which Blu ray player to get? My receiver is old so it doesnt have an HDMI connection, but it has a coaxial and an optical connection. I was looking at Panasonics DMP-BD35 and Sonys BDP-S350, both are in my price range.

Collapse -
I lean towards the Panasonic...
by Pepe7 / December 15, 2008 12:41 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

...not because I've personally tested both side by side, but for a selfish reason. The Panny includes a SD card slot so I can view photos quite easily. The Sony GUIs have really never appealed to me either, even on their earlier DVD players. I'd consider buying both and setting them up side by side to see which you like better. It makes more sense than buying one and having to remember which subtle difference you did not did not happen to care for after the return process.

Since you have a more modest sized HDTV paired with an older receiver not capable of decoding the advanced audio codecs, the quality of the upconversion & audio differences may be less applicable than if you had a larger panel & newer receiver that could handle the audio.

-Pedro

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!