TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Blu-ray decision: Panasonic BD35k or BD55k?

by rdege / December 4, 2008 12:26 PM PST

I'm relatively new to the whole audio entertainment system, and have some confusing questions that I'm hoping some people can help me out with. I have the Onkyo TX-SR505 receiver, and currently have it configured with a 6.1 setup. I'm looking to purchase one of the two Panasonic Blu-ray players, but am not sure if I should invest in the more expensive 55k for the 7.1 analog out terminals, or stick with the cheaper BD35k. As a point of reference, the SR505 has HDMI, but as pass-through for video and audio. So that means I can only connect via optical, digital, RCA Stereo, or 7.1 analog multi-channel. So here are the questions:

1) Will I notice a difference with either TrueHD or Master Audio over Dolby Digital Ex, or DTS Digital Surround? (TrueHD and Master Audio are over the analog outputs; the Digital Ex, and Digital Surround are over the digital outputs).

2) Since I have a 6.1 setup, should I still be concentrating on a 7.1 setup, or on a 5.1 setup? Or is the Onkyo receiver smart enough to detect the signal and adjust it accordingly to fit my 6.1 setup?

3) Will the analog multi-channel inputs on the back of the receiver act as a pass-through of some sort, since the Blu-ray player would be doing all of the audio decoding itself? Or am I assuming too much? The Onkyo manual states that that the multi-channel terminals on the back of the receiver are designed for DVD players with SACD and DVD-Audio support. So I'm curious if it will still work with the Blu-Ray

Thank you to those that chose to stay and read my lengthy email. Any elaborate insights are appreciated

-Rob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Blu-ray decision: Panasonic BD35k or BD55k?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Blu-ray decision: Panasonic BD35k or BD55k?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
choices
by bearvp / December 4, 2008 11:25 PM PST

Looking at the 505 user manual, it seems that your receiver does not accept Multichannel PCM via HDMI, so I'd go with the Panny DMP-BD55 to get the 7.1 analog outputs. Half of the draw of Blu-ray for me is enjoying the TrueHD and DTS-MA sound modes, so I wouldn't miss out on them if I were you. In my opinion, everything sounds tighter and more detailed with the TrueHD/DTS-MA tracks compared to DD5.1/DTS/etc.

As for a 5.1 vs 6.1 vs 7.1 setup...most Blu-rays are coded in discrete 5.1, meaning you probably won't get much use out of that rear channel. I don't think your receiver can matrix a 5.1 to 6.1 when it is in Multichannel mode. However, if you are watching a DVD you can always go into the BR player menu and set it to bitstream (if you have it hooked up with an optical cable as well) and then your receiver would matrix regular DD5.1/DTS to all your speakers.

The multichannel inputs on your Onkyo will function fine with a Blu-ray player. They don't care if you have it hooked to a BR, DVD, CD player, etc. as long as it receives a signal.

In my opinion, get the BD55 and then hook it up with both the analog outputs and the optical output so you can go between PCM and bitstream output (in the BD55 menu) for BR vs DVD.

Collapse -
Content
by rdege / December 5, 2008 2:07 AM PST
In reply to: choices

Thank you for the reply. It was very helpful to me Happy

-Rob

Collapse -
by jostenmeat / December 5, 2008 3:56 AM PST
I'm relatively new to the whole audio entertainment system, and have some confusing questions that I'm hoping some people can help me out with. I have the Onkyo TX-SR505 receiver, and currently have it configured with a 6.1 setup. I'm looking to purchase one of the two Panasonic Blu-ray players, but am not sure if I should invest in the more expensive 55k for the 7.1 analog out terminals, or stick with the cheaper BD35k. As a point of reference, the SR505 has HDMI, but as pass-through for video and audio. So that means I can only connect via optical, digital, RCA Stereo, or 7.1 analog multi-channel. So here are the questions:

Well, its always about money. Is it worth having the m-ch analogs of the BD-55? I guess I would if the 505 was not going anywhere. I take it you've read my recent posts with this currently hot topic.

1) Will I notice a difference with either TrueHD or Master Audio over Dolby Digital Ex, or DTS Digital Surround? (TrueHD and Master Audio are over the analog outputs; the Digital Ex, and Digital Surround are over the digital outputs).

Depends on the master. I will venture to guess that most of the time you will not. On some action movies, you will hear some difference sometimes, and no difference other times. When you will hear the most difference will most likely be with music BDs, as the resolution actually benefits the material.

2) Since I have a 6.1 setup, should I still be concentrating on a 7.1 setup, or on a 5.1 setup

5.1 vs 6.1 vs 7.1 is purely a function of space, IMO. If you have plenty of space behind you, sure go for it. Then you can move the side surrounds, actually you can do this now, to more of a right angle to your ears, rather than the roughly 110 degress as with a 5.1 setup where the surrounds have to straddle the side and rear areas.

Or is the Onkyo receiver smart enough to detect the signal and adjust it accordingly to fit my 6.1 setup?

Nope. There's nothing you can to post process the m-ch analogs, AFAIK. And there are no players that apply it either when decoding. Therefore, when its 5.1, you are stuck with 5.1. To get 6.1/7.1, the actual track must be so, natively.

3) Will the analog multi-channel inputs on the back of the receiver act as a pass-through of some sort, since the Blu-ray player would be doing all of the audio decoding itself? Or am I assuming too much? The Onkyo manual states that that the multi-channel terminals on the back of the receiver are designed for DVD players with SACD and DVD-Audio support. So I'm curious if it will still work with the Blu-Ray

Um, I suppose so. It will work perfectly fine with BD. However, as I've said numerous times already in the last two days here, you will be at the mercy of your player's DAC, bass mgmt, and lack of post processing.

***I recommend considering the BD35 and a new HDMI receiver. If you don't mind losing $100 now on the bd55 to hold you down in the meanwhile that's fine, but it seems that most people are changing to HDMI anyways even after forking down for the mch analogs.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!