Samsung forum

General discussion

Blu Ray BD-P1500

by robotecg / June 17, 2008 7:13 AM PDT

Mr Samsung.

I own the new BluRay BD-P1500. I've noticed intermittant audio drops while playing a couple of the BDs. Do you have any information as to when a new firmware upgrade will be coming out? And what fixes will be addressed with the upgrade?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Blu Ray BD-P1500
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Blu Ray BD-P1500
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Firmware
by Mr__S / June 18, 2008 2:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Blu Ray BD-P1500

A new firmware is being tested right now and could be out as early as Friday. You should call 1-800-Samsung on Monday or you can go to samsung.com.

Congrats on your 1500 purchase. I got some interesting news for you. We will be launching a microsite specifically for Samsung Blu-Ray owners or potential owners in the near future. We are calling it the Samsung Blu-Ray Resource Center and it will have information like Firmware Updates or tips on how to optimize your player. I'll let you know when it's up.

Thanks for the purchase.

Mr. Samsung

Collapse -
Continuing audio dropouts from the Samsung BD-P1500
by robotecg / July 2, 2008 6:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Firmware

Mr Samsung,

Thanks for you prompt reply. I've successfully loaded the first firmware upgrade for the 1500. However, I continue to receive audio drops while viewing BluRay content. Rattatoulie, Rambo III and Blade Runner to name a few. I am at a point where I'm seriously considering returning this unit and wait for the Sony S350 to come out in a week or so. Do you have any suggestions or help as to what I can do to fix the audio drop issues with this unit?

Collapse -
Samsung BD-1500 audio drops
by robotecg / July 11, 2008 4:42 AM PDT

Well? Anything?

Collapse -
Thanks for nothing.
by robotecg / August 4, 2008 2:20 AM PDT

I guess this forum was setup to make it seem as though Samsung gives a crap about their customers. Obviously thats not the case, based on the lack of response to my queries. My only advice to the Samsung 1500 customers, dump this POS and get a Sony BDP-S350. I haven't experienced a single problem since I bought it a couple of weeks ago.

Collapse -
I understand...
by Gsturbo2ga / August 4, 2008 8:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for nothing.

your frustration but did you ever contact Samsung's service department? I haven't had to use them but from what I've read other places and from people I've talked to they are very helpful. Usually waiting for a reply on a forum isn't the best course of action. I am sorry your problems were not solved but try to not take things so personally. We're all human right?

Collapse -
wow ,No reply from Samsung ??
by Tzoid / August 17, 2008 1:58 PM PDT
In reply to: I understand...

I understand the frustration of the thread originator and I was ready to purchase a BD-P1500 to go with my new LN52A650. I'm concerned when a representative from Samsung comes into a Forum and offers assistance and when it seems he does'nt have the solution he disappears? Mr Samsung this looks pretty bad and causes the op to call the product a POS. NOT GOOD AT ALL.

Collapse -
Sorry Guys...
by Mr__S / August 25, 2008 4:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for nothing.

It?s not a point of disappearing.

We were attempting to find out why certain movies weren?t playing, and that?s not always something that can be solved easily or quickly. In many tests performed, those movies worked flawlessly. So the issue is more isolated than widespread, and we were looking into other cases where this might have happened.

As noted before, we launched the Samsung Blu-Ray Rescource Center, and are offering Firmware Updates across the board because encoding Java, as well as some additional authoring, can cause some problems with some discs, including some titles included in the OP?s complaint:

www.samsung.com/bluraysupport

We have our support center, 1-800-SAMSUNG, as well as our online chat feature and website. I understood the OP had already returned the unit over a month ago and purchased a different unit before we could come up with an answer on the firmware. I didn?t post a response because I figured it would have been redundant (and possibly insulting) to give an answer after he said he returned it. I can see now that this was erroneous, and it will not happen again.

Mr. robotecg is entitled to his opinion. I?m sorry I wasn?t able to offer a definite answer in a more timely answer. We are still working out the best process for this forum and we will learn as we go.

My apologies,

Mr. Samsung

Collapse -
Stay away from the Samsung BD-P1500
by Warawa1 / February 17, 2009 10:19 AM PST

Do yourself a favor and stay away from this machine. I bought one before Christmas and it wouldn't load, did the updates and still no response. While it was away for 60 days at Best Buy being repaired, I bought another one and intended to return it after Christmas. It didn't load either. I am still awaiting some response from Best Buy and Samsung after buying the unit on December 6, 2008. Be careful of service warranty packges - they are seldom evey worth the price you pay for them because there is always a catch. Best Buy told me that the warranty I bought applied to the television not the Blu Ray. Isn't that convenient. They won't give me a store credit, and I am still waiting for another Samsung Blu Ray. That's my experience.

Collapse -
Samsung BD-P1500
by frsp911 / February 19, 2009 3:19 AM PST

We have 2 of this model blue ray players hooked up to HDTV'S and we are happy with them, and we didn't complete any updates on them. I'm thinking that maybe I better not do any updates until I have problems. It might cause me to have problems if I update them.

Collapse -
Sound dropping out
by Gorfinkle / July 4, 2009 5:25 PM PDT

I had this problem with the last firmwear upgrade. Check your settings, i found that my dates and times were reset, and all the sound options needed to be redone

Hope this helps

Collapse -
BD 1500 terrible audio issues/ service no help
by wangtheory / August 25, 2009 5:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Sound dropping out

I purchased the BD1500 in februrary after buying a Sony 350 for my parents. I'm not a Sony or Samsung fanboy but the sony worked perfectly. As for my bd1500, as soon as i bought it i noticed that there would be audio stoploss/choppiness 5min or so into every bluray disc that i played. I contacted tech support, and they advised me on all sorts of things, none of which solved the problem. During this frustrating process, a few months went by and i basically gave up on the player. I called them again in the end of June, and this time they gave me an order number for servicing with a ticket ID, and then promptly told me that because my 90 day labor parts warranty had run out, they would require me to pay 85 dollars for labor. I spent over 200 dollars on a defective machine (no fault of my own) and then tech support stalled me with meaningless "solutions" until my labor warranty ran out.

Please do yourselves a favor and stay away from this machine, as well as Samsung for giving terrible impersonal and nonchalant customer service for their defective products. I'm gonna smash this player and post a video on youtube or something.

Collapse -
BD-P1500 audio skipping may be heat-related
by hadaller / August 25, 2009 11:44 AM PDT

Our BD-P1500 has intermittent audio skips while playing some blu-ray discs. It seems to happen consistently with some discs, but the exact audio dropped varies for the same disc every time we play it. Generally, it starts or gets worse and hour or more into the disc. Sometimes is just a few annoying skips, other times there is basically no sound at all.

I read a lot of forums and there is good consensus that the BD-P1500 can get hot, but there is a lot of debate about whether that causes any problems (either immediately during playback or for the long-term health of the player). I thought our audio skips might be heat related, so I did some experiments. While the player was playing and dropping audio, I turned a fan on blowing at the player. Within a minute or two all skipping had stopped and the audio was perfect. I even re-played the section of the disc that was previously skipping and it played fine. I've now done this with several discs that skipped and gotten consistent results: the fan stops the audio skips. Of course, that doesn't mean everyone that experiences audio skips is having heat problems, but I think it would be worth considering...

Our player sits on a wood shelf. Perhaps a metal or glass shelf would help dissipate more of the heat. But that's not feasible for us, so I stuck little rubber feet to the bottom of the player to raise it up off the shelf so that more air could move circulate. I doubled-up on the feet, raising the player 3/4 of an inch. This seems to help; we don't need the fan as often.

I tried using a USB-powered muffin fan to cool the player, figuring that I could plug it in to the USB port of the player and it would turn on and off with the player. It worked well a couple times, but the USB port does not seem to work reliably...

Collapse -
Possible Resolution
by TnTSCS / April 12, 2011 4:34 AM PDT

I contacted Samsung Live Chat, and they walked me through a reset of the player and the audio and video skipping stopped.

I have the latest firmware loaded and performed a reset by ensuring there was no disc loaded, the player was ON and you press and hold the FF >>| button on the front of the player for 5-7 seconds until the display reads RESET and the player powers off. When the device comes back to life, you have to choose your language and you're all set - or reset Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!