TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Blu Ray audio issues...

by viperhigh / June 23, 2009 10:53 AM PDT

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I'm new here and am in desperate need of answers.

I recently purchased a Pioneer PDP5020FD. A wonderful TV, great picture, very satisfied. I also purchased the Samsung BDP3600. Unfortunately, the Samsung player had a terribly difficult time getting both Blu Ray and DVD movies to sync sound with the picture. I tried three different HDMI cables with no change in performance at all.

Finally fed up with the lack of quality, I returned it last night and purchased the LG BD390. The Blu Ray audio flaws seem to be near resolved or at least improved, yet the DVD performance is still unacceptable.

What is my problem? Or is it simply inferior equipment?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Either I am missing something, or these players are just not up to the task.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Blu Ray audio issues...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Blu Ray audio issues...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
surround speakers or built in HDTV speakers?
by Pepe7 / June 23, 2009 1:00 PM PDT

Are you using the built in speakers on the Pio, or are you connecting to a HT A/V receiver of some type? It helps to be as specific as possible about *all* the components involved and how you've tried connecting things and what settings you've changed. The small details sometimes might be the deal breaker...

-Pedro

Collapse -
Blu Ray audio issues...
by viperhigh / June 24, 2009 8:27 AM PDT

I simply have an HDMI cable connecting directly from the Blu Ray player into an HDMI input on the back of my TV. Couldn't get much more simple than that as far as I see it. Any other info you need?

Collapse -
How about firmware updates?
by Dan Filice / June 24, 2009 11:18 AM PDT

You didn't mention the BR discs you've tried, but it could be that your BD player needs to have it's firmware updated. I'm not familiar with the LG to know if it can connect to the internet, but you should be able to download the latest firmware from the Mfg site, burn it onto a CD and load it into the player. If that fails, then I'm stumped. I have a Panny BD35 player, and although it's not the highest-end player, I haven't had one problem with it. But I've also updated firmware recently.

Collapse -
Hmmmm
by WildClay / June 27, 2009 12:16 PM PDT

If you are hooked Blu-Ray HDMI directly to the TV and getting the audio from the TV you should not have a lip sync issue. As suggested you should ensure you have current firmware on your DVD player. (this is another wonderful "advancement" or feature that comes with Blu-Ray, having to update the firmware from time to time, I only do mine when a Disc will not play, but I have heard others say they have solved other issues with the upgrades) I am from the "if ain't broke don't fix it school"...

The quality of the HDMI cable is unlikely to be a part of the issue but you never know, were they three cables of all roughly the same price and brand? (Not that I am a Monster fan at all, but you might find a store where you can get your money back and a get a high end Monster cable that you can return if it makes not difference.)

In your DVD setting there should be a sound/lip sync control while this is usually for delays caused running though various parts of a Home Theater system and the TV, it could be in your TV if it is doing anything in the audio path.

Check your DVD settings menu for this setting, no matter what it is called it should be clear that it is to sync the picture and sound, everyone seems to call it something different, can be Delay, Audio Sync, Lip Sync, etc...

Mess with control, mine has a center 0 setting and then you can delay the sound going minus or advance the sound going plus, thankfully I have no needed it, the picture and sound between my panni TV is in sync no matter how I source route it, through the HT receiver or direct TV so I have neve had to mess with the control.

If you end up switching DVD players again consider the Panosonic DMP-BD80K, I just upgraded from DMP-35 and both are great and no lip sync issues.

Now for your DVD performance, you need to be more specific, if it is picture quality then there can ba a slew of differnt answers, if it is that it take for what seems like forever to load, to transition menu's, for dialogs to open, like settings, then welcome to Blu-Ray, compared to a regular DVD player at least at this time it is the price you have to pay for Blu-Ray, a system that is slower than molassas in the winter, again, compared to a SD DVD player.

My new is a lot faster than on old one, but still, I can almost make pop-corn in the time it does something and if it gets confused and they do, the best answer I have found, is turn it off, and back on again and start over, once it gets confused it stays confused, I guess this is what Java has bought us in our living room.

Collapse -
Lip Sync adjustment you mentioned
by Gadre97 / July 22, 2009 5:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmmmm

WildClay: I have been searching for weeks for a device that will allow plus or minus audio sync adjustment. You mentioned that your equipment has that feature. Could you please give me the model number? Is it the TV, Receiver or DVD player? I am constantly experiencing mostly delays in the audio which are unfixable because my AV receiver only has an audio delay option, making it much worse.
Thanks in advance!

Collapse -
BR & Receiver
by WildClay / July 22, 2009 7:00 AM PDT

My Panasonic BD35 and BD60 DVD players have a Lip Sync settings and my Sony ES series receiver.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!