TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Blu-Ray and 1080i HDTVs: Put this to rest for me!!!

Hello all - with the Sony S-350 Blu-Ray player hitting the shelves this week, I am strongly considering pulling the trigger and grabbing one - this will be my first Blu-Ray player. I am confused about whether or not it will benefit me to get one - I have a 36" Sony Wega XBR800 that maxes out at 1080i - it has two component jacks and one DVI slot. I am also concerned about the upgrade issue - what exactly will this player upgrade my standard DVDs to? Will I even notice a difference? Thanks in advance and I apologize in advance - I know many people on many different sites have covered this before but I just can't seem to find a clear answer. - Jake

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Blu-Ray and 1080i HDTVs: Put this to rest for me!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Blu-Ray and 1080i HDTVs: Put this to rest for me!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The reason for no clear answer is...

In reply to: Blu-Ray and 1080i HDTVs: Put this to rest for me!!!

No one has one to test yet. Cool your jets and wait for it.

Collapse -
re:1080I & Blu-Ray

In reply to: The reason for no clear answer is...

Jets are cool - how about in theory? What would be the best way to set it up?

Collapse -
Don't do it.

In reply to: re:1080I & Blu-Ray

The reviews for the prior 300 model connected with HDMI so I'd wait till there are reviews to avoid finding out it won't connect.

Collapse -
1080i and Blu-Ray

In reply to: Don't do it.

Were there problems before?

Collapse -
Yes.

In reply to: 1080i and Blu-Ray

Look up HDCP over DVI. To dodge that issue, have them tell you it's fine or use HDMI everywhere.

Collapse -

Collapse -
PERSONALLY, I WOULD WAIT A TAD...............

BEFORE SPENDING THE HEFTY PRICE.

Best wishes,

Riverledge.

Collapse -
P.S. YOUR HDTV ISN'T EXACTLY UP TO DATE FOR 1080P.

In reply to: PERSONALLY, I WOULD WAIT A TAD...............

River.

Collapse -
Givemeaname

In reply to: P.S. YOUR HDTV ISN'T EXACTLY UP TO DATE FOR 1080P.

Are you from the U.S.? Or is it a linguistic thing?

Collapse -
NEW ENGLAND, ACTUALLY............

In reply to: Givemeaname

WHAT'S A "LACATION?" That's why C-NET has an EDIT feature. Right???

River.

Collapse -
mmharharharhrhrh

In reply to: NEW ENGLAND, ACTUALLY............

you said lactation...

heeheehee

-beavis

Collapse -
I JUST THOUGHT IT WAS A FUNNY TYPO........THAT'S ALL.

River.

Collapse -

In reply to: I JUST THOUGHT IT WAS A FUNNY TYPO........THAT'S ALL.

Silly

it's all that wildfire smoke that I have breathing this past month & half, I live about 5 mile from the front lines & 4 hours of sleep does not help, too.

lol Silly
Collapse -
(NT) what area do you live in?

In reply to: ....

Collapse -
magalia, ca

In reply to: what area do you live in?

Collapse -
man that is freegin giganormous

In reply to: magalia, ca

wow. Is everything you own covered in soot yet? Here in SoCal it seems like we get some big fires every recent year. So many I don't even remember the names anymore, but the worst for pure dirtiness was the one set by the guy who was lost. That was ridonkulous.

I very recently read (last month's?) National Geographic with the cover story of fires. Pretty interesting.

I have personal friends who've been evacuated in recent years. One friend who is not one to shy from danger was helping some firefighters... and he was pooping his pants. He said just across the street from his place, the fires were tall as buildings. Another did something stupid, covered face in a bandana, and raced past firefighters on dirtbike to help his boss check on his place. No injuries. Then I have a few firefighter friends, two of which are volunteers. They deserve gold medals, parades, and free BD players.

Just during one stretch, one friend never left the site for one week. Bandana for mouth, rock for pillow, one week straight fighting. He dragged a very heavy hose up a hillside to fill a large portable tank so that helicopters could land more safely. His wife actually pulled a longer stint that he did, bout a week n a half.

Droughts + questionable fire policies + growing populations nearby danger zones.... at least we don't have too many tornadoes or hurricanes or snowstorms...

Collapse -
GIVEME & JOSTEN, BLESS YOU BOTH............

In reply to: what area do you live in?

THE FIRES ARE ON BOTH THE LOCAL AND NATIONAL NEWSCASTS IN BOSTON.

IT MUST BE TERRORFYING FOR EVERYONE IN CA.

I'LL TAKE A MAJOR SNOWSTORM ANYDAY.

Best to everyone,

Riverledge.

Collapse -
1080p

That's my point - I am not planning on getting a new TV for another 1-2 years. I just want to know if getting a blu-ray player and using it on this TV will really be worth it. My sense is that for playing blu-ray discs it will - for upscaling other DVDs I am not so sure.

Jake

Collapse -
I think you hit the nail on the head.

In reply to: 1080p

If only for upconversion, a regular dvd player with upconversion is MUCH cheaper. Just my view.

Collapse -
wait then

In reply to: 1080p

since the main thing is dvd play back. Wait to see if others have problems with DVI to HDMI on that BD player or look another brands that do not have DVI to HDMI problems, because if they do have a problem then the only option is too use Component to get 1080i & with that you will not get any upscaling.

Collapse -
HD TV and PS3

I Have a 42 inch panasonic plasma (720p/1080i)and a ps3 connected to the tv by hdmi that I use as a blue ray player. The picture looks good, but right now I think the player is more of a upconversion player because my tv only goes up to 1080i,and the ps3 goes up to 1080p, but it looks good. From the information that I have read, you will not receive the full benefit of a blue ray player unless you have a 50 inch + high definition tv due to the progressive lines in the tv. I believe that you will be ok with an upconversion dvd player with your 36 inch hd tv. But if you are planning on upgrading to a larger tv, then you should purchase the blue ray player. I purchase my ps3 because I know that I am going to upgrade to a 50 + inch plasma, if my wife lets me. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
1080i

In reply to: HD TV and PS3

Thanks man - this was just what I wanted to hear - I definitely plan on upgrading my TV in the next year or two.

Collapse -
HD TV AND PS3

Remember, you get the best performance with your blue ray through the hdmi input.

Collapse -
There seems to be alot of guessing going on here.

it doesnt matter if the TV is 1080p, 50inchs or larger, or if you use HDMI on a blu ray player.

it is a better source, so you will get a better picture on any TV, if a disc is mastered in a higher res and the source is direct, you will get a better picture even on a standard 480 tv.

There is alot more to HD and blu ray then the resolution number and HDMI, and in most cases HDMI is no diffrent then component video in picture quality other then the 1080i vs 1080p.

So if you want the best picture and source for your Sony tube HDTV, go for it, a BD player and a BD disc will look better then standard DVD and HD channels no matter if you hook it up DVI or component video, any tube TV will take the DVI signal and tranfer it back to analog RGB the same way the component video input will send the signal.

I also have a sony tube KD 34xbr960 and if I had the money I would be buying a blu ray player right now.

good luck
gabe

Collapse -
hmm

I would honestly buy a BD player for BD playback firstly. If it must double for HIGH QUALITY dvd playback, you will want Reon/Realta/Anchor Bay video processing. However... I know Samsung was having some less than reliable support for FW (though hopefully much improved). I mention them cause they use such VP in their players.

Denon also uses high end VP. However I have an issue with how they use audio decoding in an overly expensive way, passing costs to consumers. They use receiver chips (instead of much simpler, much cheaper "player chips", and disable post processing, surround processing) in their players. I must guess this is part of their much greater cost.

The PS3 has average DVD playback.

I have a Panasonic that works smooth as butter. But the DVD playback is about as bad as you can possibly get.

If you ever buy a receiver with such video processing, it should be noted that the receiver is a better place than the player to do it, believe it or not. It can process after video and audio have been split up. However, the chips run hot, and so do receivers, so expect more heat than typical.

What's your budget? how much will the s-350 be?

I think the Pana BD-30 is $399 at BB now. Cannot internally unpack new codecs. Add separate DVD player of choice. You will need a switcher in this case since you have one dvi input, but OTOH longer life for the BD player.

Sooo.... you "will" notice a difference, but the differences b/w upscaling dvd players is small compared to the diff b/w Bluray and DVD. Just don't use a Panasonic bluray for dvd playback.

Collapse -
Will there be a difference...

in picture quality? Yes

Will it be worth the investment to see an incremental increase? Only you can answer that.

You have a 36" TV which is still tiny in the grand scheme of things in this brave new HD world.

Like Gabe said (think it was Gabe anyway lol) the better the source, the better the PQ and sound will be. Whether it is minute or substantial is a different story.

There is no easy answer. I can only tell you what I would if I were you. If you have been somewhat OK up until now with your current setup, and I say somewhat because you obviously want to upgrade so you can't be 100% satisfied, then I would wait. Keep the money that you would spend on the BD player and put it towards the new (and much larger) TV.

For me, I would rather get to my new TV quicker than to spend more money trying to make the picture on my old TV look ever so slightly better. A change, mind you, that you may or may not even see. Some people can't even see the difference of 120hz.

That's how I would approach. You have to figure out how you would.

Good luck

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.