Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

BLOCKING ALL DIALERS

by Master James / June 16, 2007 1:26 PM PDT

Greetings Ladies & Gentlemen:
*respectful bow*
I was wondering if there is a way, or a program, that I can block ALL dialers of all kinds from getting into my computer system...
*respectful bow*

James

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BLOCKING ALL DIALERS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BLOCKING ALL DIALERS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tough One! No Expert but I Would Respectfully Suggest....
by tobeach / June 16, 2007 3:34 PM PDT
In reply to: BLOCKING ALL DIALERS

probably not A single program.
I don't know if you're on dial-up/DSL/Cable(?)
There is a spot in most Win Machines (often in CP>Internet Options>Internet Properties) for "Never Dial a Connection" or same location: "Always Dial My Default". If you're not dial up you could check the dot for one of these as a start. Sometimes another can be found in "scheduled tasks"(updating).

Since some trojan landed dialers are capable of changing existing setting, this is not enough. Spybot S&D (Free) and several other anti-malware programs (some pay version only: AVG AS) often have a system settings locking feature to prevent settings changes without your specific permission for each change. In Spybot it's called "Tea Timer" function.

Since many are either exploit loaded or loaded via pop-up Active-x, which you may accidentally activate by trying to click off your screen (that RED X you see on your screen could in fact behind screen be a permission granted/download button!!)
keeping system fully patched (exploits) & such programs as described above are pretty crucial.

An extensive HOSTS file that blocks known bad sites may help but again you're playing catch-up as opponents can change numbers quicker than definitions can catch. It may block sites you may want/ consider acceptable risk.

When I was on dial-up awhile back, I called my phone company (Bell) and had them put a permanent block on "high toll foreign calls". They have (or should have) a list of these crooked area codes & numbers used by these scammers. Not a new problem. Often have list of special toll codes like 900#s but different in each country.

This is important because the calls go to places in Caribbean, Indian Ocean (Madagascar), Indonesia etc. where they charge your account huge initial connection charge($100)& ridiculous /minute charges (4-50 Dollars/minute) often with minimum time or even very difficult to disconnect method (assuming you knew it was happening at all).
Reports of getting phone bill at end of month for $25,000 or more not unheard of!

Mind you, if you don't used dial up at all, you or a tech could simply physically disconnect/remove the telephone modem in/from machine. Surest Bet!

Perhaps others may have other/better/easier methods to suggest.
Wish I had better news! My Regards, Sandy Happy

Collapse -
Sorry! Forgot to Mention: Spybot Also has "Immunize"...
by tobeach / June 16, 2007 3:43 PM PDT

which re-directs IE through it's own HOSTS file. Others may have similar built in to their background guards. Be sure to check OS compatibility in programs you consider as some may work only with Win2000/XP and above.
Regards, Sandy. Happy

Collapse -
Ms.Sandy
by Master James / June 17, 2007 4:30 AM PDT

Mademoiselle:
*respectful bow*

I wish to thank you for all your help,you have given me many ideas as to how to try & nip these buggers in the posterior. Sometimes in order to find a solution to a problem,one needs to turn to those with more experience than training(the true "experts").*G*
Thank you again.
*respectful bow*

James J. Reynolds

Collapse -
Re: Blocking all dialers
by bluecollarpcnet / June 17, 2007 7:02 PM PDT

Yes you can and easily. Research anti-modem and anti-dialer software. I said easily because there was just a specialized software program released and runs in real time protection - and to boot is offered free for home use by well known Emsisoft.Com ...paticulars Bookmark:
a-squared Anti-Dialer [working-freeware]
http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/antidialer/
No chance for the Dialer rip off! Protect your PC with a-squared Anti-Dialer from manipulated dial up connections, which can cause a phone bill of several hundred dollars quickly. a-squared Anti-Dialer provides a complete defense against Dialers. Scan all files on your harddisks for Dialer behavior using the Dialer scanner. The integrated background guard protects the PC from new infections. As soon as a potential Dialer creates or manipulates a dial up connection, the a-squared Anti-Dialer will alert it.

I did specialize in this a bit and actually have perhaps "discovery" in the security software area so that if you are up for a little advanced search and delete you can find this information posted on my computing safety website. The discoveries I made concern the RASautodial registry entries made by legitimate application and spyware. I have used the top antispyware programs and noticed they do not delete these. I submitted reports. Again, you will find this posted in detail here: http://www.bluecollarpc.net/pcsafety.html ... on the right side of the page. You need to manually search the Windows Registry for these (don't unless you are familiar). Here is an example of a malware entry (2005-6)
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\RAS Autodial\Addresses\gs.gator.com

At the time of posting of course gator was well posted as adware and I believe spyware. You would find about 10 to 30 of these and most likely most will be legitimate and here's the aggravation... many do not exhibit a domain name but an IP Number so that you have to painstakingly look up each one in the DNS Search Machine (reverse look up) to rule out as good or bad. Example of a good one:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\RAS Autodial\Addresses\207.46.106.123 is a typical Microsoft key for apparently hotmail or msn.com.
So, you run through once and make a screenshot or print out for future reference and check them often. There are the Microsoft links for in detail information posted. The short story is that you are good to go with the above software. Do note that the top antispyware programs all scan for dialers so you may be tripping over your feet a bit with double softwares - but I have the hunch you are like me and use all and whatever tools are available for computer and personal safety - and there you go, one more.

Gerald, webmaster (USA).

Collapse -
Dialers.
by mrlemarquis / June 18, 2007 5:29 PM PDT

This was a problem I had some years ago, when I was using an external modem with a PC equipped (as most are) with an internal modem. After it had cost me around $30, I decided enough of that, and contacted my ISP to find out what I could do.
In the end, the answer was simple-disable the internal modem, so long as you're only using the external one!
How? (you probably already know, but there may be the one or the other who doesn't):
Start>Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager>Modems.
Click on Modems, and check what modems are shown. If more than one is shown, although you only use an external one, then disable (by clicking twice on the modem concerned) the other(s),and choosing the "disable this item" choice. Click "Apply">"OK"> and close.
This will mean that only your external modem will be usable.
If, on the other hand, only one modem is shown, the external one you use, then you can do nothing except contact your ISP for information and suggestions.
Obviously, the internal modem can be reactivated if required in the future, by following the same steps.
Incidentally, my own problem was solved in this way, but it annoyed me to find out that it was, in fact, my obligatory Telephone Providor (France Telecom) at the time, who were deeply involved in the "dialer" scams!
You couldn't threaten with nonpayment, because they simply cut your telephone line, and so no calls, and my ISP providor couldn't link up with the Internet! Now I'm with a different Telephone Providor and ISP who are the same company, calls and Internet passing through the one and only external modem!
Hope this helps in some way!
(iwmpop) mr. le Marquis

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?