Thank you for being a valued part of the CNET community. As of December 1, 2020, the forums are in read-only format. In early 2021, CNET Forums will no longer be available. We are grateful for the participation and advice you have provided to one another over the years.

Thanks,

CNET Support

General discussion

blocked website need help

Nov 27, 2007 7:05AM PST

my dad blocked a site on our linksys network and i cant figure out how to unblock it. so on any computer in my house on this network cant use that one website. please if you know how to unblock the website reply back.

Discussion is locked

- Collapse -
Follow the proper procedure
Nov 27, 2007 7:21AM PST

It sounds like your Dad is the official network administrator for your home network. The proper procedure for accessing blocked websites is to ask the official network administrator to "unblock" the website. This is true for both workplace and home environments. The consequences not following this procedure can be unpleasant.

- Collapse -
RE: follow the proper procedure
Nov 27, 2007 7:28AM PST

ive asked him before to unblock it and he wouldnt

- Collapse -
Learning to live with rules and regulations
Nov 27, 2007 7:38AM PST

You must learn to live with the decisions of network administrators.

The alternative is to become financially independent from your Dad, get your own house, and pay for your own Internet service. Then you can make your own rules--including network administration rules.

- Collapse -
Locking this discussion
Nov 27, 2007 8:04PM PST

The answers and advice given are the only ones that can be suggested in this case.

Where an Administrator decides to block a web site it is for the user to discuss the difficulties with that Administrator. Any other options to circumvent such restrictions cannot be discussed.

Mark