Forum Feedback & Announcements forum

Question

Blocked Access ?

by robemm / August 14, 2014 1:42 AM PDT

I'm not sure what happened; but all of a sudden I can't access the daily Cheapskate column or for that matter, any of the C/NET newsletters I subscribe to. I can log-in without a problem (I'm here posting!); but other than that I get stuck on the C/NET home page; and I can't seem to find a way to contact C/NET to determine the problem either,. It almost seems as if my account is somewhat blocked.

Can anyone provide a solution hint? Thanx,

Rob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Blocked Access ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Blocked Access ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Hi Rob!
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / August 14, 2014 2:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Blocked Access ?

Thanks for reporting this problem you are experiencing. When you attempt to access the Cheapskate column here:
http://www.cnet.com/cheapskate/

Do you get redirected to the CNET home page? Or what happens?

Also what CNET edition (United States, Australia, United Kingdom, or others) are you on?

When you say you "can't access any of the C/NET newsletters", can you please let me know what you mean by this? Are you not receiving the CNET newsletter in your inbox or are you not able to access the links from the newsletters?

Please let me know so I can investigate this further.

Thank you for your time!
-Lee

Collapse -
Blocked Access?
by robemm / August 15, 2014 2:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi Rob!

Good morning Lee, thank you for the response. I receive the US C/NET edition. When I attempted to access the current "Cheapskate" column using the link above, I was re-directed to the C/NET homepage.

All of the C/NET newsletters that I've subscribed to are delivered to my inbox; but I'm not able to access them using the links provided.

I currently am using an ACER desktop running WinXP Pro and MSIE Ver 8.

Collapse -
Thanks for responding.
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / August 15, 2014 6:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Blocked Access?

That is strange as that link shouldn't be redirecting at all. Especially in the newsletters.

For a sanity check, if you don't mind telling me what your Geo location is?

Also when you go to your CNET profile here:
http://www.cnet.com/profiles/robemm/my-settings/

What is your "Edition Preferences" set to? Is it set to "US Edition"?

Thanks for taking the time out to check.

-Lee

Collapse -
BTW I will be moving this discussion thread...
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / August 15, 2014 7:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Blocked Access?

to the Forum Feedback forum as it is more appropriate home for it.

Cheers,
-Lee

Collapse -
Blocked Access
by robemm / August 15, 2014 11:47 PM PDT

Good morning Lee. My geo location is SE USA (South Carolina). My "edition preferences" in my profile is set to US.

I may have mis-spoken regarding getting re-directed to the C/NET homepage when I accessed the "Cheapskate" link you provided in your first response email. That link sent me to a compilation of Cheapskate columns; but when I attempted to access any of the columns, that's when I was re-directed to the C/NET homepage.

Rob

Collapse -
Thanks for that clarification Rob.
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / August 16, 2014 7:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Blocked Access

Can you try one thing for me and delete your browser cookies? You will have to log back into CNET again.

You may have a corrupt CNET cookie and I want to see if doing this will work.

Sorry for the inconvenience, Rob.

-Lee

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator on 08/16/2014 at 2:44 PM PT

Collapse -
Blocked Access
by robemm / August 17, 2014 2:49 AM PDT

Lee, no need to apologize, no inconvenience felt. I appreciate the assistance.

I deleted cookies, history, & temp i-net files from tools section of MSIE Ver8. Then tried to access Cheapskate. No problem accessing the link; but all attempts to access individual "cheapskate deals" led me right back to the C/NET homepage.

Rob

Collapse -
Re: links don't work
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 17, 2014 4:58 AM PDT

That's in your usual Windows account in IE8. So the two things to try (as experiment):
1. Use another Windows account. No need to make one uf you don't have one (although it's a "best practice" to have at least 2 administrative accounts, just in case the one you use normally gets corrupted), the guest account will do. If you don't see that on the welcome screen, activate it in Control Panel>Users/
2. Use another browser. Firefox and Chrome are free, and considered as least as good as IE8.

Kees

Collapse -
This is very strange...
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / August 18, 2014 3:44 AM PDT

not sure why you are getting redirected.

As Kees mentioned, can you try this in a different browser like Chrome or Firefox? Does it happen with those browsers too?

I'm just trying to narrow down where the problem exists.

Has this redirect always happened or did it work before?

Thanks,
-Lee

Collapse -
Blocked Access
by robemm / August 20, 2014 3:01 AM PDT

Sorry for the delay in responding, it got to be a very hectic couple of days. To answer your last question, no, the re-direct is a new(er) problem. Until the past few weeks, I never had any difficulty accessing any of my subscribed CNET newsletters.

Now to add insult to injury (so to speak), I set up a new CNET account using a different name and email address. I received several "welcome" emails from CNET. This morning (Wednesday) I received my 1st Cheapskate column sent to the NEW account name/address. When I accessed the "read more" link I was redirected to the CNET homepage and unable to access the column.

Does Rick Broida not want me to read and take advantage his bargain info ? <G>

Rob

Collapse -
No worries, I totally understand "very hectic" days...
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / August 20, 2014 6:55 AM PDT

So everyone of these link below when you access them redirect to the CNET homepage?

http://www.cnet.com/news/get-an-8-inch-hp-tablet-for-134-99-shipped/
http://www.cnet.com/news/get-an-hmdx-jam-plus-portable-bluetooth-speaker-for-23-99/
http://www.cnet.com/news/get-a-4-terabyte-external-hard-drive-for-119-99/

If does, I'm really at a lost here. We don't have redirects for these for these pages.

Do you have another browser besides IE you can try to see if this happens also, this way we can narrow it down to see if is just an IE issue.

Thanks!
-Lee

Collapse -
Blocked Access
by robemm / August 20, 2014 10:58 PM PDT

All 3 of the links in your last response sent me directly to the CNET homepage.

Since I've already tried clearing the cookies from my IE8, I'm going download a different browser to see what happens.

Just as a "what if", is it possible that my account has been disabled for some reason and the re-directs to the CNET hopepage are happening because of my IP address since I'm using the same pc?

Rob

Collapse -
Rob, your account is fine...
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / August 21, 2014 2:56 AM PDT

Please do try another browser and see if it's an issue with IE.

In IE when you delete--browser data, temp internet files, cookies, etc... it has an option to "Preserve Favorite website data", do you remember if you delete all cookies to include "Favorite website data"?

I just wanted to make sure this isn't the case.
I'm really stumped by this whole redirect.

Thanks!
-Lee

Collapse -
Blocked Access ?
by robemm / September 15, 2014 6:57 PM PDT

Good morning, I apologize again for the delay in responding, I've been away since my last posting. I think I have determined why I'm being re-directed to the CNET homepage; but I can't think of a reason why it's happening. I believe that it's my IP address that is causing the problem. While I was away I had limited i-net access; but the 3 times I did access my email; and my CNET notifications from other computers (and hence different IP adresses) I went straight to the "Cheapskate deals of the Day" I received an email notification from. Since the 2 different pc's I used to access my email account both were using MSIE, my thinking is that it has to be my (home pc) IP address.

Is this any help in determining the problem? BTW, today (Tue.9/16), from my "home" pc, I was directed back to the CNET homepage when I tried to access the latest email from CNET/Rick Broida column.

Rob

Collapse -
Hi there,
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / September 16, 2014 1:59 AM PDT

Can you try another browser? I would like to determine if this is specific to IE. If you use a different browser and it turns out to be producing the same behavior, then we can deem it a problem possibly on our end.

Please do try another browser like Chrome or Firefox.

Thanks,
-Lee

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Blocked Access ?
by robemm / September 16, 2014 1:25 PM PDT

Lee, the problem did lie in/within MSIE Ver 8. I downloaded Mozilla Firefox andwas able to access all the previous CNET columns, newsletters, etc.that had been sending me back to the CNET homepage.

Thanks for all your assistance; and especially your patience. Now if only I could figure out what the problem with IE 8 is.

Rob

Collapse -
Thanks for that info, Rob.
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / September 17, 2014 9:39 AM PDT

I'm sorry, but all out of ideas on this one.

Now I'm turning to our community members.

Can someone help us out?

Are there any members out there who are currently using IE8 who can reproduce this problem our member here is experience?

As a prerequisite prior to testing:
-- You must be using IE8
-- Physically live in the United States
-- You must be logged into CNET and have your CNET site edition set to US. Do this by going to http://cnet.com log into CNET and on the top right hand side of the page, make sure you have your site edition set to "US Edition"

When you click on any of these links below, are you being redirected the CNET home page (cnet.com) or are you being taken to the intended page?

http://www.cnet.com/news/get-an-8-inch-hp-tablet-for-134-99-shipped/
http://www.cnet.com/news/get-an-hmdx-jam-plus-portable-bluetooth-speaker-for-23-99/
http://www.cnet.com/news/get-a-4-terabyte-external-hard-drive-for-119-99/

Please help us out here and report your finding. I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you in advance!
-Lee

Collapse -
When you click on any of these links below, are you being
by Cursorcowboy / November 5, 2014 1:45 AM PST

redirected?

'owdy Lee,

From Texas. IEv8 doesn't work but FireFox does.

I can answer that as yes to a point. WinXPProSP3 and IEv8 goes to a CNET page that has the URL displayed I clicked in your message. . . AND, IE displays the line "To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has blocked this website from displaying content with security certificate errors. Click here for options..." IF I click the HERE options and select "Display Blocked Content" the line simply disappears and the page view remains the same BUT in the Status Bar the word "Done" flashes about every second.

I have the big red box in the upper right display as the "US Edition" with the person picture just to its left where you should be able to click and select "Log into CNET". This is there regardless of what CNET page I access. BUT . . . Since I can't log into CNET anywhere by clicking that button. . . BECAUSE when the "Log into CNET is clicked, the option applet which is display is the "Sign in with Facebook, Google, etc. ONLY. This is to include your link for signing in at: http://www.cnet.com/

I first notice this problem on Monday, Nov 3. and figured it would simply correct itself in a day or two as things happen sometimes. But, today when I decided to check things out further I went to the Control Panel and Internet Explorer and select to delete Temp files, History, Cookies, etc. and try again -- all to no avail. However, I've never cleared the "Preserve Favorite website data" to ensure all cookies are removed since I'm to lazy to deal with later headaches of putting some back. That is when I accessed Feedback to see if there was a report of something similar and found your message.

After reading all your threads I figured I would still be blocked but I decided to click the "Reply" button to see what happened. As you can see, I've typed this and hope it will "Submit" when finished.

IEv8 is set to open my home page which it does but as I mention above, I cannot log in anywhere: http://forums.cnet.com/5204-6122_102-0.html?forumID=44&start=0

If you want to use e-mail, please do so.

Bill Gaston

Collapse -
2 -When you click on any of these links below, are you being
by Cursorcowboy / November 5, 2014 11:20 PM PST
redirected?

I have however gone into CCleaner, Options, Cookies and remove everything pertaining to CNET. Now when accessing CNET there is no Edition block shown when using my home page link. Only the picture of a person and the option to Log in/Join -- your link still shows both the Edition and Log in - http://www.cnet.com/?tag=posts;msg5627289

Clicking the "Log In" option on my home page I am directed to "Refresh the page" and doesn't matter how many tries, the same applet appears with "Refresh the page". Your page link does show the Edition but only offers "Google, Yahoo, etc" when clicking the "Log into CNET". I use none of those.

NOTE: "After reading all your threads I figured I would still be blocked but I decided to click the "Reply" button to see what happened. As you can see, I've typed this and hope it will "Submit" when finished. "

Since I didn't really check to determine which browser was in use when I "Replied" first, it must have been while using FireFox since IEv8 would not let me do it this a.m.

Sincerely,

Bill Gaston
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?