iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

Question

Block Specific WiFi Network on iPad?

by CCLLTL / April 3, 2015 12:03 AM PDT

I'm searching high and low for a solution and coming up short.

I have 30+ iPads used in a campus library. Our campus has two wireless networks. One is an unsecured guest network and the other is secured. We need the iPads to connect to the secured network because proxy services are blocked on the guest network, and our library uses proxy links to connect to databases.

If at all possible, I need to block the open guest network so the iPads will always connect to the secured network. The "forget" option isn't sufficient, as the network is remembered again as soon as a patron connects to it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Block Specific WiFi Network on iPad?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Block Specific WiFi Network on iPad?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Looks like a "desired feature."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2015 3:42 AM PDT
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6073498 wrote it well. These are considered as they put it "You can't lock settings iOS is still designed as user owned".

Call Apple and see if this area has changed but I see this happen a lot. That is, folk buy devices that are meant for general use and then try to impose restrictions later. They often get agitated that a PC is a Personal Computer meant to do what ever the person using it wants it to do!

In the meantime lock down that open network.
Bob
Collapse -
Thanks
by CCLLTL / April 6, 2015 10:30 PM PDT

Thanks for the link. I'd found some solutions that involved pushing an SSID and info using Apple Configuration, which we use to lock out other features, but I assume we'd have the same problem as soon as the secured network stutters, and the patrons connect to the open network.

We have no control over the open network, as both networks are campus-wide for our university, with the guest being a visitor courtesy, and the other requiring a university login. The best solution so far, as your link suggested, is to "impose some type of controls on your internal wi-fi networks," for which I'm thinking MAC filtering if our IT department is willing. It's not an ideal configuration, but it should accomplish what we need to happen.

Collapse -
Answer
As Bob said, it's usually done on the AP/router side
by Pepe7 / April 3, 2015 7:49 AM PDT

If you are a reference librarian (etc.), ask your IT colleagues to refer you to a listserv that deals with iPads in Academic or Public libraries. Your solution is there, but Bob nailed it. Not much you can do on the iPad side.

FWIW, most libraries I deal with don't leave networks open (literally) anymore. They require a 'jump page' (that opens in Safari) where you hop through/fill out a small registration form/etc.

Collapse -
iPad
by ihelp77 / April 6, 2015 2:52 AM PDT

My kids have the school network locked down and the guest network is practically unusable because of the filters being used on that network. I just use the cell service to get around it.

Collapse -
I completely understand, however...
by Pepe7 / April 6, 2015 6:33 AM PDT
In reply to: iPad

...some guest networks are there really just as a courtesy, and not intended to replace (obviously) more solid home or corporate wifi networks. The public schools truly would like to minimize who needs to be on their network at all times.

OTOH, you can design those 'jump' pages to work effectively, without so many filters.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.