HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Block "myspace"

by soreheadedBear / February 14, 2007 8:23 PM PST

Can you please give instructions or suggestions on how to block the website "MySpace" ? I do not want my granddaughter to access it on my PC's. I know there is a way, but lost the info for that.
Running XP home.
Thanks in advance for help !

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Block "myspace"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Block "myspace"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
block myspace
by soreheadedBear / February 14, 2007 8:33 PM PST
In reply to: Block "myspace"

Forgot to say that I have 3 PC's set up on network /router. Is there a way to only block "mySpace" on ONE of the computers ?

Collapse -
HOSTS file
by jackson dougless / February 14, 2007 10:22 PM PST
In reply to: block myspace

If you only want to block it on a single computer, the HOSTS file is probably the best place to start. It can be bypassed in a number of different ways, but it's a quick and easy "fix" that will thwart a great many people. It's also handy in that it works with any browser.

Just add a line such as this to the HOSTS file:

0.0.0.0 www.myspace.com

That will redirect any request to the Myspace website to a non-existent IP address, and people using that computer will see an error page.

Like I said, there are a couple of easy ways to bypass this. Namely editing the HOSTS file to remove that line, or using a web proxy, but it takes all of a few seconds to do, so it's a great place to start.

Collapse -
As stated, the HOSTS file...
by Edward ODaniel / February 15, 2007 1:47 AM PST

is a good way to do that but rather than using the mentioned:

0.0.0.0 www.myspace.com (or 127.0.0.1 www.myspace.com if preferred)

I would suggest using:

199.181.134.158 www.myspace.com

Why? Because it directs the user to Disney online.

The HOSTS file has no extension and should be located in the
Windows\System32\drivers\etc directory

Collapse -
Block MySpace
by soreheadedBear / February 15, 2007 2:23 AM PST

Thanks to all for the response about blocking MySpace. Problem is, I don't understand anything about host files. Thats why I asked for instructions. I understand you are trying to help, but please explain a little better for this old lady ! LOL
I tried adding to restricted sites, and that didn't work !! What now ?
So sorry, I am not THAT GOOD !!!!

Collapse -
Simple
by jackson dougless / February 15, 2007 3:40 AM PST
In reply to: Block MySpace

Open the file in any text editor, such as Notepad. Add the line I gave in my initial post at the bottom, save it, and you're done. No rebooting or reloading of the program should be necessary. You may need to clear the browser cache, but that's about it.

It's just one of the many little useful things that are a byproduct of Microsoft using some of the network stack code from FreeBSD in Windows.

Collapse -
How To Use A HOSTS File
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 15, 2007 9:03 AM PST

Click on the link below to the Newbies "Tips" thread and follow the step by step instructions. The HpGuru's HOSTS file link which is listed is a large file but it will automatically block 'myspace". It's one of the included "banned" sites in their HOSTS..

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6121_102-0.html?forumID=45&threadID=22053&messageID=1142598#1142598

Still, make sure to read the other excellent posts. It's important to know how to edit your HOSTS file.. Many don't like the HpGuru HOSTS because it blocks a lot of sites that folks actually prefer.. When you know how to edit it, you can simply remove your preferred site listings in HOSTS and allow it to keep blocking the rest.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Hate to say it, but...
by kcoppock / February 15, 2007 3:33 PM PST

Honestly, if she wants to go on the site badly enough, she WILL find a way around it. Honestly, even the larger corporate web filters can be easily bypassed (I've done it, I won't deny it :P) just by accessing a simple proxy site.

If she's not very tech-savvy though, you're probably safe just trying the HOSTS suggestion.

Collapse -
Simple as it gets...
by Edward ODaniel / February 16, 2007 10:25 AM PST

Open a Command Prompt (Click Start |%Run then type CMD.EXE then click OK)

When the command prompt window opens type your choice of the following (you could also copy and paste the bolded portion ot the line of your choice into that command prompt):
echo 127.0.0.1 www.myspace.com >> %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\host (takes you nowhere as that directs to the localhost)

echo 199.181.134.158 www.myspace.com >> %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\host (takes you to the Disney site)

echo 65.19.168.120 www.myspace.com >> %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\host (takes you to Catholic First Douay-Rheims Bible page)

C:\>echo 127.0.0.1 www.myspace.com >> %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\host (takes you nowhere as that directs to the localhost)

Now press the enter/return key and the file is written.

No muss, no fuss.

Collapse -
just a quick question
by berjo33 / February 18, 2007 3:18 AM PST
In reply to: Simple as it gets...

Suppose I did what you've mentioned and a few weeks later, decided to change my mind and want to view myspace again. How do you go about that?

Sorry if question is obvious but I want to make sure before I do anything like that.

berjo

Collapse -
If You Choose To Reverse The Option...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 18, 2007 5:37 AM PST
In reply to: just a quick question

Use Windows Explorer, then navigate to the "%systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\" folder (On XP that's C\Windows\system32\drivers\etc" ), then open the HOSTS file with Notepad, then simply delete the "www.myspace.com" entry that you placed there earlier.. You can search the HOSTS file using Notepad by clicking on "Edit" in the upper left corner, choose "Find Next" and type in "www.myspace.com".

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Additional Help Unblocking MySpace
by nancytersigni / March 17, 2008 11:18 AM PDT

Hi Grif:

I attempted to block MySpace serveral different ways. I used IE's "tools", "internet options" and then the security and content tabs. I also followed your instructions creating that "hosts" file. I then followed your instructions on how to delete MySpace from the hosts file. I still cannot access MySpace. I can get to www.myspace.com but when I try to type in my username and password, it just brings me right back to the log-in screen. I can however access myspace if I use one of those proxy sites like www.unblockmonkey.info However, I would like to be able to access the site again without using unblockmoney. Can you help me out??

Thanks!
Nancy

Collapse -
It Depends On What You Used..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 17, 2008 11:31 AM PDT

If you used the full HOSTS file from my "How to use a HOSTS file" post above, then the HOSTS file includes a whole bunch of Myspace URLs that are blocked.. It's not just "www.myspace.com", but all sorts of other advertising sites from myspace that will prevent you from visiting the site.. If you used the HpGuru HOSTS file that I linked to, then you'll need to open the HOSTS file and do a search for anything that has "myspace" in the site name, then remove it from HOSTS.. (ONE EXCEPTION: There are some sites which have .cn at the end of the site name.. Those are for some bad sites in China and should be left in the HOSTS file.)

On the other hand, if you've added only "www.myspace.com" to the original HOSTS file from Windows, removing should have done the trick. Another option would be to change the name of the HOSTS file to HOSTS.txt.. Once that's done, you should be able to visit the websites of your choice.. Unfortunately, that also prevents any adsites from being blocked.. Your choice.

Which one is it?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Hosts file
by nancytersigni / March 17, 2008 12:05 PM PDT

I did the what Edward ODaniel said to do. And sure enough, in the hosts file there were only two sites, both were www.myspace.com. I did what he said to do to unblock myspace and deleted both entries for www.myspace.com. Again, those were the only two web sites in the hosts file... unless there is some other hosts file I don't know about...

Collapse -
To unblock myspace
by PudgyOne / March 17, 2008 12:47 PM PDT

you have to undo everything you changed to block it.

You used internet options, then you have to go there and undo that.

You have to remove it from the hosts files.

If you are using a wireless router, you then have to unblock it from there.

You must be on an unrestricted account to do this. You then have to restart your computer.

I have mine blocked with the wireless router. At a set time, every evening, it gets blocked so the children go to bed. If not, they'd stay on it all night.

Rick

Collapse -
Thanks Rick, but I've done all that...
by nancytersigni / March 17, 2008 7:29 PM PDT
In reply to: To unblock myspace

I went back in to Internet Options and added it back as safe content, etc. I did exactly as posted and went to the hosts file. There were only two items in the hosts file, both "www.myspace.com" and I deleted both and now the folder is empty. I even changed the name of the folder as suggested so that it now says "hosts.txt" and that did not work either. I can get to the sign on screen for myspace, but when trying to sign in, it just takes me right back to the sign in screen. I'm probably going to have to call am IT guy to maybe remote into my PC and see what I did or am doing wrong. Generally I have no problem following directions and fixing PC problems myself, but this one has me stumped! If anyone else has any other suggestions, I would welcome them. Thanks!

Collapse -
What version of Windows are you using?
by PudgyOne / March 17, 2008 7:50 PM PDT
Collapse -
Hi Rick - I'm using XP
by nancytersigni / March 18, 2008 8:57 AM PDT

Well... I followed the link to your post about Java and Java Script. I have Java. I downloaded and installed the Java Script. I restarted my PC and then tried logging on to MySpace again. Still takes me right back to the sign in screen. I cleared all the temporary internet files too. This is bugging the crap out of me! I don't know what else to do short of paying someone to come and fix it. I hate to do that though. Any more suggestions?

Collapse -
Try this
by PudgyOne / March 18, 2008 9:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi Rick - I'm using XP

Go to Internet options

click on internet

click on default level

click on restricted sites

click on sites

scroll through the entire list and remove anything to do with myspace

If this doesn't help then try using IEFix. Something could be wrong with Internet Explorer.

If everything fails, then try using Mozilla Firefox and tell us if you can go there now.

Rick

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks Ed, thats a good one.
by Stan Chambers / February 15, 2007 1:09 PM PST
Collapse -
Thank you!
by lisa109238 / May 4, 2007 1:25 PM PDT

Thank you for the Disney suggestion. It worked like a charm.

Collapse -
Third party software
by jonwu / April 26, 2008 10:08 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) What browser are you using?
by Coryphaeus / February 14, 2007 8:54 PM PST
Collapse -
Most routers can do this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 14, 2007 8:59 PM PST

In my router it's in the URL blocking. I just add myspace and it blocks any URL that has myspace in it.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) G'morning, Bob.
by Coryphaeus / February 14, 2007 9:00 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) And what a morning. Tossing snow shovel...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 14, 2007 9:29 PM PST
In reply to: G'morning, Bob.
Collapse -
Unfortunately the hosts file will not...
by Edward ODaniel / February 16, 2007 11:49 AM PST

recognize myspace.com as a "legal" name and it will not accept "wildcards" in the name. Since the server is set up to allow the site to be accessed without the www. prefix you will have to resort either to using your router as Bob suggested or software.

Your router will likely have a setting for FILTERING that allows you to filter URLs by "keyword" (myspace) or by IP address (myspace.com is 216.178.32.49 and www.myspace.com is 216.178.32.52)

If you do not have a router you can make use of Microsoft's Content Advisor which is integral to Internet Explorer and can be read about here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie6/using/howto/security/contentadv/config.mspx

Alternatively you can make use of third party software specifically designed for controlling Internet access such as:
Net Nanny http://www.netnanny.com/

or NAOMI http://www.radiance.m6.net/ (freeware)

or a wide selection of others but ensure it has password control:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22internet+filtering%22+with+%22password+protected%22

Collapse -
Block Myspace
by gmm421 / February 17, 2007 12:41 PM PST
Collapse -
reply to blocking myspace
by bman231 / May 10, 2007 4:44 AM PDT

There is no way to block my space without buying somekind of software. I think your being over protective myspace is totally safe try it out yourself.

Collapse -
Not Quite Correct...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 10, 2007 6:36 AM PDT

As to your statement: "no way to block my space without buying somekind of software", please read the rest of the posts in this thread.. A few suggestions for "Free" methods are mentioned.

And specifically to your statement: "myspace is totally safe", please do a little more research.. Please check out the links below for just a few past and current "unsafe" issues about Myspace.

Police probe alleged MySpace-linked sex crimes

MySpace adware attack hits hard

MySpace Attack Highlights Firefox Flaw

Teen hack suspects charged over MySpace extortion bid

Police find rape suspects on MySpace

Social websites scrutinized

Although I understand why some like to visit "myspace", (been there, done that) please don't ignore the safety issues that go with such a site.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.