Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Blisterpacks. How do you open them?

by Kiddpeat / January 25, 2006 1:18 PM PST

I swear, whoever designs these things, should be tarred and feathered. Am I the only one who is bugged by this stuff?

You can see everything inside the package, but there is no way to easily open it. You can't tear it open anymore. I have to use the blades on my Leatherman, and risk cutting off a finger or two to get them open. You've got to penetrate heavy plastic, and cut it far enough to pull the contents out. It also takes a very sharp blade to cut through. Then the edges of the plastic are sharp enough to cut if you are unfortunate enough to slip. Once I penetrate the outer layer, I frequently find a second package inside that has to be deciphered to figure out how it opens up.

Just think! McDonald's got sued because their coffee is hot. Why aren't these packagers getting sued?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Blisterpacks. How do you open them?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Blisterpacks. How do you open them?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I find that most of these packages
by grimgraphix / January 25, 2006 1:36 PM PST

have a crimped over edge on the back side of the packaging. If you use a very sharp razor knife and cut through the first layer of plastic along this edge you can remove the contents and hang it back up on the rack before store security cat.... uh... I just smear dog food on it and let the dogs open it up for me....

yeah....

grim

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) With a SERIOUS pair of poultry shears (scissors)
by Jack Ammann / January 25, 2006 2:19 PM PST
Collapse -
I use my old Fiskars!!
by Glenda / January 25, 2006 2:43 PM PST

And what ever else it takes!! I hate these things!!!

Collapse -
Me too --
by Evie / January 25, 2006 9:13 PM PST
In reply to: I use my old Fiskars!!

A serious pair of older craft scissors that also cut wire! ... and Evie ... but that's another story Wink

Evie Happy

Collapse -
RE: "whoever designs these things"
by caktus / January 25, 2006 4:15 PM PST

like those who plastic rap CD's should be in charge of Homeland Security.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You hit the nail on the head!
by Angeline Booher / January 27, 2006 12:07 AM PST
Collapse -
Al Qaeda
by TONI H / January 25, 2006 5:44 PM PST

Ya see...all their bombs are encased in blister packs which is why the mfr is in cahoots with the box cutter mfr and why terrorists carry the box cutters like loose change in their pockets. Standard 'terrorist military' regulation hardware.

By the time I'm done using the box cutter I have here to open anything shrouded in blister packs, the pack looks like a bomb went off inside the darn thing....and the plastic casings are sharp enough to qualify as added shrapnel.

TONI

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Perhaps we need a war on blister packs.
by caktus / January 29, 2006 4:04 PM PST
In reply to: Al Qaeda
Collapse -
Xacto knife works but I have to think the reason
by Steven Haninger / January 25, 2006 8:14 PM PST

for doing this is for both security and to discourage returns of merchandise. Thieves want to pocket merchandise quickly and getting packages open take time. I have wondered when someone will get injured and the lawyers will pounce. Not only can you get injured by your own knife, scissors, etc. but the plastic is often very sharp once you slice it. I also wonder what happened years ago when packaging, itself, was an environmental issue. Folks complained about the amount such material that required disposal. It seems we have gone backwards from the environmental concern....probably Bush's fault. Wink

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I make my "macho" hubby open them!
by shaner7575 / January 25, 2006 9:42 PM PST
Collapse -
Make the store manager do it for you
by Dick White / January 25, 2006 10:16 PM PST

It will take a little longer, but at some point, we (the consumers) will make our point. We paid for the product, we're entitled to be able to get it out of the package and use it. The stores don't care because it is not a cost to them. So make it a cost (and the highest cost possible - waste the time of the most expensive person in the store: the top manager, not some low stockboy) and they'll learn.

dw

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I like it!
by Kiddpeat / January 26, 2006 4:33 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Now that would be a kicker.
by caktus / January 29, 2006 4:06 PM PST
Collapse -
And it's often hard to avoid damaging the instructions
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / January 25, 2006 10:37 PM PST

(and warranty -- probably the point!) on the back. Further, it makes it impossible for you to return an item that doesn't suit once tried -- probably also the point Sad

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Returning
by Evie / January 25, 2006 10:42 PM PST

I've never had a problem in that regard if it's a WalMart, HomeDepot, BestBuy, etc. purchase, so long as all the parts are there.

I'm not sure what happens with it after I return it, but that's their problem.

Collapse -
RE: Returning
by caktus / January 29, 2006 4:09 PM PST
In reply to: Returning

Another good reason for having the store manager open the dern thing.

Collapse -
Cursing seems to help :)
by MarciaB / January 25, 2006 11:31 PM PST

But, as some others mentioned, heavy-duty scissors used on three sides are the ticket. That way, I don't have to try to pry it open with my fingers to get to the product. But, again, as DK mentioned, you often mangle any paperwork inside when you do so.

I cannot imagine someone with arthritis in their hands/fingers dealing with these packages. Even with using heavy-duty scissors, one must use alot of force to cut the plastic. Sad

Nasty things, IMO. And, as I said above, cursing seems to help. Grin

Collapse -
That's the funniest response yet!
by Evie / January 25, 2006 11:43 PM PST

Thanks for a morning chuckle Wink

I think **** has the solution for the arthritis sufferers. I would have someone in the store open it for me after I had paid for it.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
and to add to that suggestion
by MarciaB / January 25, 2006 11:48 PM PST

maybe if each and everyone of us took those packages to the store manager for assistance, there would eventually be enough complaints from the retailers themselves that they would change the packaging.

I have handled several of these hard plastic packaging things that had "snap" type buttons on the top two corners and a tab to grab onto that allowed you to pull them apart much easier, and without tools. Those should be the example for other packaging companies.

Collapse -
I do think the major motivation ...
by Evie / January 26, 2006 4:36 AM PST

... is theft prevention. Choosing between buying a small USB jumpdrive in an oversized plastic contraption vs. waiting for Joe Salesguy to come over to unlock the case that houses small, more costly items, and I'll pick the former.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Yes, those I like. That's what they all used to be like.
by Kiddpeat / January 26, 2006 4:37 AM PST

At least it seems that way.

Collapse -
In accord w/applicable Federal law,
by drpruner / January 25, 2006 11:49 PM PST

1) if arthritis meds, use your fingers.
2) if dental problem, use your teeth.
3) if contact lenses, twist entire package.
and so on.

For complaints, call 1800TooBad and access our automated telephone system.
Regards, The 21st Century

Collapse -
And if your desire is to
by TONI H / January 26, 2006 12:02 AM PST

meet a Fed in person, cut the label off your mattress.

TONI

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) LOL!
by drpruner / January 26, 2006 1:00 AM PST
Collapse -
Easy.....
by Rolway / January 26, 2006 4:45 AM PST

Let out a war hoop, stomp your feet, growl, then grab it in your teeth and ripppp.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) That's the way my ex-wife did it. ;-)
by John Robie / January 26, 2006 7:10 AM PST
In reply to: Easy.....
Collapse -
Hmm ...... You must be part
by Glenda / January 26, 2006 7:13 AM PST
In reply to: Easy.....

Bulldog at least! LOL! I just had my two front teeth foxed and at the price that cost I don't use them for anything like that:( If all else fails I make Jim open them:)

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) In case you wonder, that wasn't foxed, but FIXED! LOL
by Glenda / January 26, 2006 7:14 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I wondered what the heck you were talkin' about! :)
by MarciaB / January 26, 2006 7:18 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I blame my long nails for this!!!! LOL
by Glenda / January 26, 2006 7:42 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?