General discussion

Blinking Screen On Startup

About a month ago I bought an HP Envy 14, and was pretty happy with it, after a couple of weeks I've been having a small problem. Most of the time when I turn on my laptop or just get it out of sleep mode and log in, it will blink a couple of times (turn to black screen then back to normal) and then go back to normal. This has been going on for a bit to get me ticked off, I can still use the mouse but I can't use my top buttons (Brightness up/down, Volume up/down, etc.) until the blinking has stopped. I don't know what's wrong, I've updated all my drivers especially the display adapters. If you guys have some sort of idea of what the problem is that would be helpful. Thank you.

Specs if you need to know:

Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit)
Intel Core i5 M 460 @ 2.53 GHz
6 GB RAM
Display Adapters: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 & Intel HD Graphics

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Blinking Screen On Startup
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Blinking Screen On Startup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
My G62 i5 HP did that too.

It turned out that some USB devices cause that. It's a long story but HP failed horribly and destroyed my laptop and I had to replace it.

Hopefully you can unplug some USB thing and it will boot up.
Bob

- Collapse -
I had an issue similar as i rebooted.

it would take like 15 minutes to reboot. I took my laptop to work an it booted with no pause. I took it back home and didn't connect any USB drives and it still paused for 5 to 15 minutes. The only other thing that could be affecting it was i have a wireless printer configured. I turned the power off on the printer and rebooted and wham it booted with no pause. It was the wireless printer causing the delay in booting the machine.

CNET Forums