TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Bleeping BOSE Subwoofer... (in)compatablity???

i just purchased a new home which came pre-wired for whole home audio. the guy who did the work also put in a bose lifestyle (in-wall) sub in my living room. the bose dealer who put it in tells me that the sub is only compatible with bose equipment. if that's the case, i'm either going to rip it out and put something else in, which i don't want to fool with, or, just leave it and not use it at all. in the closet where all wiring is home run to... there is a standard speaker cable that pops the sub with a 9 volt battery.

my questions...
1. is there any way to use a non-bose amp/av receiver with this sub??
2. if i have a receiver that will only send low frequency to this sub via standard speaker cable... how could there be a "compatability issue?"

cardvol

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bleeping BOSE Subwoofer... (in)compatablity???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bleeping BOSE Subwoofer... (in)compatablity???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
hm

In reply to: Bleeping BOSE Subwoofer... (in)compatablity???

wthell is that 9v battery for exactly??

1. i bet... but....

2. you do? what's the model #? i don't think ive ever seen any receiver that can do what you are saying.

if its a passive sub, it will need outboard amp. since its bose, ill presume its a POS so you probably dont need a strong amp. otherwise, for any other passive sub, id get its own dedicated, good amp, probably a pro amp. behringer are affordable, and it would be on my short list. you will need bass mgmt, whether passive or active.

i presume you have never heard a good sub in your life.

Collapse -
you are correct...

In reply to: hm

about the receiver's (yamaha rx-v995) inability to cut off all but low frequencies thru speaker cable terminal... i was misinformed and looked in my manual after your post.

i suspect bose sub is powered to some degree. about to go in crawl to check it out.

will any of these amps you reference do what my receiver will not with just the speaker cable that is currently only thing connected from sub to a/v closet? guess i need to somehow find out frequency cut-off of bose amp/lifestyle 48 series (this is sub that was put in wall- dealer figured he'd land a 5k sale b/c of compatability issue)

in my main tv room, i have a polk psw1000 sub. it ain't too shabby:)

btw, 9v battery is useful when you have lot of unlabeled speaker wires and you are attempting to find out corresponding speakers. tap both wires into battery terminals and speakers will make small popping sound.

Collapse -
so, you do know what a nice sub is

In reply to: you are correct...

then you will know you don't want that bose. just give it to your least favorite relative. i do wonder what the connection is like. im sure its some proprietary or unique BS. Otherwise, I would think you can run a sub out to it... but... you might be dealing with cascading multiple x-overs? (receiver's + sub). there could be some silly away to avoid multi x-overs but at an even greater compromise...(turning sub to off.. having LFE combined with mains, etc... dont worry about it, you wouldnt get to use your polk sub in this case)...

so, with giveme's info, you dont need an amp. you'd probably blow the module anyways with a behringer Wink

Collapse -

In reply to: Bleeping BOSE Subwoofer... (in)compatablity???

Did they charge you for that junk??? Ask for a refund!!!!!!!!!
Sell it on ebay or craigslist.... fast...

Bose does not make a Sub, they call it a "Bass Module".

scroll down to the 'THE SUBWOOFER' part:

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.