TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Blding new home with media rm - Paradigm right audio choice?

by buckeyetom1970 / October 26, 2006 1:49 PM PDT

Please help. I'm a newbie in the home theater arena. I'm building a new home, and the company who does the extra cable and phone wiring specializes in home theaters. Cost estimate for my home theater room came in much higher than anticipated by this under-educated purchaser. Audio portion seemed really high till I read some earlier threads on this forum about buying the right speakers.

Looking for advice for 2 questions:

1) Is the product recommended appropriate for my needs? (I'd never heard of Paradigm or Denon till now) This will be a dedicated home theater room in my basement 16 x 19 where we'll watch movies and Sunday football.

2) Is it priced appropriately? Its not totally out of the ballpark, but I'd figured about 3000-5000 total for the project, and it came in at $9000. The audio portion was way higher than I'd anticipated...

Here's the audio portion of the price quote for my home theater:

Denon AVR 2307 Dolby Digital 7.1 AV Receiver $699
3 Paradigm Cinema 330 On-Wall Stage (L+C+R) $897
Paradigm Cinema ADP On-Wall Mid Surrounds $109
Paradigm Cinema 90 On-Wall Rear Surrounds $179
Paradigm PS-1000 750 Watt Subwoofer $599

So, are the speakers worth this much money? Are there cheaper alternatives with comparable quality? I'm a 'do it right the first time' kind of guy as opposed to 'buy cheap now upgrade later'. Realistically, if I spend this much on sound, I'll need to go with a 720p projector instead of a 1080p.

Thoughts? Please advise. Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Blding new home with media rm - Paradigm right audio choice?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Blding new home with media rm - Paradigm right audio choice?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Believe me, Denon & Paradigm are not new to us
by NM_Bill / October 26, 2006 3:16 PM PDT

I believe Denon is the US sales leader in its price bracket. Paradigm has had substantial sales success the last decade for its value with quality quotient.

OK, it's an accident that I have Denon & Paradigm & am very satisfied. Or perhaps that inspired response from me. There are many knowledgable posters here, with their customary favorite brands. I don't believe they will say the proposed equipment is bad. As a "do it right the first time" guy be assured the proposal is firmly appropriate for its price point. And yes, the proposer is going to make money from you. The contractors like wiring above & beyond the more highly competitive basic job. They will enjoy some more percentage margin.

Could you elicit an alternate proposal? Yes & alternative equipment can always bring the price down. Do you really want to act as general contractor soliciting bids for this portion of the job? That's up to you.

Also, yes the price is in line with averages & the specific equipment recommendations are solidly mainline .

I live in an absolutely now building up suburban area. Many of my new neighbors have just experienced what you are now with towards the end choices & budget crunches where something is going to have to give. If this package is doable you will have purchased satisfaction for some time, which I sense is along the line of your thought rather than just cutting & compromising initially. This part of the home theater will smoothly transition you into comfortably sliding into the home theater room as a place of relaxing repose. That should be very welcome after all the winding up details subside.

Up to you: Sure, could be less expensive with alternatives & likewise upper middle homes being build around here right now often plow substantially more money into a featured home theater room.

Appropriate products & appropriate cost - yes. Possible alternatives, damn right, but do you want to obsess? If you are in an urban area of, say a half million, you should be able to readily find a handful of others to submit proposals/bids. How much hassle do you want to get into?

Collapse -
Denon and Paradigm
by RoadRunner6 / October 26, 2006 5:59 PM PDT

I am one of these best bang for the buck guys and always on a limited budget so I would do the whole thing myself and save a ton of money. However, I have almost 40 years in audio and now video so I have a large knowlege base.

In your case these guys are choosing, setting up, and wiring the entire system for you. You are definitely paying for their expertise and paying list price for the equipment, where I might find or negotiate a discount. But I know exactly what to buy and why, while you don't.

The setting up of a home theater system is almost a nightmare these days if you don't know your stuff. I can't tell you how many friends I have had to spend many, many hours correcting their screw-ups after they have "set up" their own systems. Just programming the remote that this company probably has recommended for the system requires a PHD in remote programming (well almost).

You have only mentioned two brands of equipment that they are recommending, so I don't have a lot to go with here, but I have a great big hint concerning their expertise. I'm quite sure you are dealing with very knowledgeable pros here based on their recommendation of Denon and Paradigm.

Denon is one of the two brands that I would recommend in this price range as the best quality and value for the money in receivers. Denon receivers are definitely top class.

Paradigm is an outstanding speaker company. They are one of the several Canadian (Canadians are experts in top speaker design) speaker companies that are simply top in performance and value in their price range. Paradigm would definitely be very high on my list of speaker brands for you.

$2500 for a quality 7.1 speaker system with receiver is very reasonable. This part of the system is very nice.

RR6

Collapse -
BUCK I'AM READY TO MOVE IN AND ENJOY
by stewart norrie / October 27, 2006 5:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Denon and Paradigm

You are doing the rite thing When I started building my home theater system I knew very little about hi-def etc and made many mistakes and bought equipment that did not work rite By having an expert do the job its going to work perfectly the first time and add value to your home, Final note if your going with a front projector system that expert is going to pick out a great projector for you. because its impossible to find a vidio store with projectors on display so you really need anm expert so happy for you and your new home and please post back to us steweeeeee

Collapse -
Pricing...
by sirroundsound / October 27, 2006 9:50 AM PDT

As stated above, this would be a fine package that will offer a good performance for sound.

It is not uncommon to spend just as much on the audio as the video.

With your information, 3k on projector, 3k on sound, 3k for screen or other accessories (remote), wire, and installation.
Sounds like a pretty common package.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.