Phones forum

General discussion

Blazer browser problems

by khelm / November 16, 2005 7:39 AM PST

I just bought a Palm TX, which come with Blazer for web browsing. One of the main things I want to do with this thing is access the wireless network while I am at school. It will find the access point and connect just fine. Then I have to go to the authentication site to get into the university network. This site opens fine, and then I have to "click for network authentication." However, when I click the link, blazer opens a dialog box telling me it cannot load the requested page.
I asked the helpdesk people at school, but they didn't offer much advice. The school website says that your browser must be SSL compatible. From everything I can find about blazer (which is not much), it should do fine with SSL.
Any idea what I'm doing wrong? I really like the TX, but if I can't access the school network with it I'll probably return it. Is there another browser I could try?
Thanks,
Kristyn

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Blazer browser problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Blazer browser problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
More info from tech support
by khelm / November 21, 2005 8:40 AM PST

I guess no one else has this problem. Anyway, the tech support people wrote me another email saying that my inability to log in is because blazer will not support personal certificates. Any ideas? Please help!

Collapse -
I have the T|X and..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 21, 2005 9:13 AM PST

Can't duplicate the issue.

Your post may be too light on details but for me the T|X is doing fine. I retired my IIIc.

Bob

Collapse -
Get more help
by illlogic / November 22, 2005 1:50 AM PST

With all this technology nowadays, anything's possible. Like I'm sure it will be possible to connect to your schools wireless network, just work closely with the helpdesk and I'm sure you'll be able to find a solution. If I were you though, I'd hate to give up on the T|X because it's such a great device! I'd say keep trying, maybe you can get them to alter those "certificate" settings for you or something.

Cheers!

R

Collapse -
Thanks
by khelm / November 29, 2005 9:40 AM PST
In reply to: Get more help

Well, I've decided I'm definitely going to keep the TX. I will continue to try to get the helpdesk to work with me, but I somehow get the impression that they are not overly concerned with my problem. Maybe if I keep at them long enough they will deal with it just to be rid of me! Thanks for the encouragement,
Kristyn

Collapse -
TX and Blazer "Page Unavailable" problem
by tomrob82 / January 7, 2006 1:33 AM PST

Hi All

khelm said "I guess no one else has this problem." after posting about the TX and Blazer and messages saying "The page you requested cannot be displayed ...... check URL or try later".

Well, I have the problem and have suffered (in silence) for some time. It's a real PIA, especially as it is intermittent. It even affects access to Google - and you can't get much more basic than that!

So any help will be much appreciated. Meanwhile I'm going to pursue a reponse from the Palm helpline. After all, it's a program that is "built-into" the Palm and we can expect it to work. I really don't want to have two browsers on the machine.

Would khelm let me know how he has been contacting technical support and I'll make sure that I add my problem as well.

Tom

Collapse -
It's just done it again!
by tomrob82 / January 7, 2006 1:45 AM PST

Before I posted my first message I had been trying to get onto the NY Times site. I'd tried about 4 or 5 time and got the accursed message!

While posting I tried again and still no luck.

When I finished I tried again and I got the page with no problem. That's how frustrating it is!

Tom

Collapse -
I've cured my problem!
by tomrob82 / January 30, 2006 6:42 PM PST

After reading these posts and then going looking at the Palm forums (somewhere amongst it all!) I found a solution to MY problem with the TX. The suggestion was that the problem could be solved by entering DNS settings manually.

I went to Wi-Fi Networks on the TX, selected my home network, chose Edit > Configure > Details > Advanced > DNS Server = Manual. I then used the PC to access the Wireless Router Status Page and used the DNS values there as entries in the TX.

I've had no problem since. I did revert to "Automatic" - and got the problem back again! So, I put it back it to Manual and it's been fine for weeks.

I'm not sure what will happen when I try to use a WiFi Hotspot in the outside world? Anyway, they are so expensive around here (Nottingham, UK) that it will be a while before I do. Meanwhile I use web access through my mobile (Orange 3g) at 80p per Mb.

HTH

Tom

Collapse -
Problems with login
by Randy7777 / August 1, 2007 1:34 PM PDT

I have had problems logging onto certain secured websites with Blazer. I searched the forums, installed Eudora Web and Opera, but to no avail.

I finally unchecked "Use Default Proxy Server" on the Blazer Preferences and I was able to log on without any problems.

Go to Options, Preferences, then Advanced, then Set Proxy and make sure that both boxes are unchecked.

Hope this helps someone.

Collapse -
Blazer Browser
by DLRoth / November 30, 2005 1:14 PM PST

The Blazer Browser works through a proxy server which I have used with my Samsung i500 phone with SPRINT cellular.
I recently received a notice from SPRINT that the Blazer proxy server was to be decommissioned and that I needed a new browser.
My phone uses Palm software so I installed some new browsers.
The one I've liked the most is called nweb at
www.nwebwireless.com/index.htm
Email me if you would like links to some of the other browsers that I have tried.
DLRoth

Collapse -
Re: Blazer browser problems
by fuyichin / December 13, 2005 12:11 PM PST

I guess, may be the browser doesn't support java script.

Collapse -
I am having the same issue with my TX and SSL
by 1torpdude1 / January 7, 2006 8:50 PM PST

It must be an issue with Blazer because I am having the exact same problem logging into web accounts.

Collapse -
Same problem!
by hansi10 / January 7, 2006 9:48 PM PST

Me and my friend bought Palm TX last week, and both of us have the same problem as mentioned above. Is there no explanation in Palm about this problem? Despite all the advertisment for Palm TX and Wi-Fi, Palm must know what kind of problems there may be with Wi-Fi and connections?

Collapse -
Look at the those problem posts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2006 11:22 PM PST
In reply to: Same problem!

Given what is shared, no one can duplicate the issue.

Anyhow, I'm not having ANY issue with the Blazer browser. I did find a site I could not log into but that site ... does not support PDA logins since they used an activeX component.

Hope you find out what your issue is.

Bob

Collapse -
Blazer Problems
by dcostanzo / January 16, 2006 5:36 AM PST

You may have already discovered this, but many people are having similar problems with the Blazer browser. There are some workarounds.

See the "help forums" at Palm's website. Select the catagory "Bluetooth & WiFi". Enter "Blazer" in the search box...

Collapse -
Blazer is the problem!
by rodolfoop / January 30, 2006 2:18 PM PST

Hello. I use a TX in Puebla, Mexico and when I try to authenticate with the ISP the page of the username and password reloads and it doesn't work.

I downloaded the Palm Web Pro 3.01 from Handango and the problem was resolved. I was also looking for a program in order to open Html files stored on my SD but only the Web Pro can do this. I miss the application Files from the Palm Tungsten T5 that is like a files explorer where you can open files and the proper application launches.

I haven't bought the Web Pro. Palm shoud fix it!!!

Collapse -
Palm : "Blazer to cease web browser operations on 9/22/05"
by kbarb / September 18, 2006 4:46 AM PDT

I found this :

from
http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,kb=PalmSupportKB,CASE=obj(40527),ts=Palm_External2001

Quote:
''Blazer 1.x and 2.x cease web browsing operations on September 22, 2005

As of September 22, 2005, the Blazer 1.x and 2.x proxy servers will no longer be available for web browsing. This means that it will no longer be possible to use the Blazer web browser to surf the web or access WAP sites with a Treo 180, 180g, 270, 300, VisorPhone, or any Palm OS device for which Blazer 1.x or 2.x was purchased separately.''

Collapse -
Palm Suggests alternative browsers
by kbarb / September 18, 2006 4:49 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?