Computer Help forum

General discussion

blast from the past!

by xjmpr / November 15, 2006 8:21 PM PST

I installed Tweak UI. My OS is Windows XP HE sp2 on a Dell 4500 series. I tweaked the icons so as to lose the arrows. Now what I have are old version icons and system folders. I tried reversing the effect but had no success. I uninstalled the program in hopes of everything returning to normal Nope. Is there a way to fix this ? I've allready tried going through the properties on the icons and folders. No help there either !

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: blast from the past!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: blast from the past!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: blast from the past!
by Tufenuf / November 15, 2006 9:09 PM PST
In reply to: blast from the past!

xjmpr, Try starting your computer in SAFE mode then restart it in Normal mode. This will rebuild the iconcache.db file and may correct the problem.

How to Start Windows in Safe Mode
http://www.pchell.com/support/safemode.shtml

Tufenuf

Collapse -
blast from the past
by xjmpr / November 16, 2006 4:27 AM PST

Tufenuf, thanks for trying but no cigar.On to the next one.Thanks again for your advise. xjmpr

Collapse -
Re: blast from the past
by Tufenuf / November 16, 2006 5:10 AM PST
In reply to: blast from the past

xjmpr, Can you explain what you mean by the "Now what I have are old version icons and system folders". Do you mean that they are the correct shortcuts but have the small arrow on them now ot that they don't have the small arrow on them and you want the arrow. Do you still have Tweak UI installed? Post back.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
icons,folders
by xjmpr / November 16, 2006 7:32 PM PST

Tufenuf, the folders look larger and flatter.The icons wont revert when I use the Desktop method or click on the properties to change icon on the icon itself. It retains the change that was made.That goes for all of my icons on the desktop.I sent the icon to the recycle bin,the new looking icon was not there,my old one was there! Yes, I still have Tweak UI.

Collapse -
Re: icons,folders
by Tufenuf / November 16, 2006 8:27 PM PST
In reply to: icons,folders

xjmpr, Try the following:

1.Right-click Desktop, choose Properties, Appearance Tab.

2.Click Advanced button, choose Icon from the drop-down list

3.Set it's size to 31 and press OK, OK

Repeat the steps (1-3) and set the Icon size to 32 (defaults)

More at the link below.
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/repairicons.htm

Tufenuf

Collapse -
another way
by Hagrun / November 16, 2006 1:05 AM PST

You can restore default icons, but it's a bit lengthier then the method mentioned in the previous post. Give this a shot if the other way doesn't work.

1. Right-click an empty area of the desktop and choose "Properties".

2. When the "Display Properties" multi-tabbed dialog box appears, click the "Desktop" tab.

3. Click the "Customize Desktop" button.

4. A "Desktop Items" dialog box will appear. Make sure the "General" tab is selected.

5. Choose an icon to change back.

6. Click "Restore Default".

7. Click "OK" on the dialog boxes to close them.

-Nate

Collapse -
blast from the past
by xjmpr / November 16, 2006 6:34 PM PST
In reply to: another way

No help there either Nate, thanks anyway.

Collapse -
If all the others fail you might try...
by glenn30 / November 16, 2006 5:47 AM PST

A System Restore to before the action was taken. Dunno but worth a try! Wink

Good luck,

Glenn

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?