Question

Blank Screen on Dell Inspiron 5559

So I've been troubleshooting this problem for a month or so. My laptop screen does not show anything apart from a faint gray back light.

I should mention I can connect to an external monitor with an HDMI cable just fine and can operate the laptop this way.

What I have tried so far:

1) power drain by holding power button and removing battery etc . . the most common troubleshooting video and guide to be found online.

2)Motherboard swap. No change.

3)HDD replacement. Original HDD did show errors with SeaTools scan software, so I replaced it with an SSD which had Windows 10 preinstalled. I purchased a product key and the SSD works fine, but no change to the screen.

4) Battery replacement. Original was dead. New Battery works fine and takes a charge.

3)Driver updates, Bios updates, hardware scans, and everything else available through SupportAssist. All tests come back with no issues found.

4)Booting to Linux via USB stick. The screen works just fine when I do this, oddly enough. I will put a picture below. Maybe this is the way to go. I could install Ubuntu if the screen will work this way.

5)LCD test patterns. I can do this and the test patterns will show on the laptop screen. Nothing when I boot to Windows, though.

Off the top of my head, I believe that is all I have done. I tested the motherboard and various components with a multimeter and made sure all connections were solid. I'm not sure what to do next. Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Pics:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-NT0-YThGsIjU4lzswcFCM78hEMYI856/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-5wd1XdIc6594oh7tZz80AW9ckZbVjMF/view?usp=sharing

Post was last edited on August 5, 2019 6:28 PM PDT

Discussion is locked
Answer
Follow
Reply to: Blank Screen on Dell Inspiron 5559
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Blank Screen on Dell Inspiron 5559
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Booting to Linux

and the screen work fine tells me that you have a driver issue . Uninstall the graphics driver and get the proper driver from Dell

- Collapse -
I'll try that

tonight. I'll reply again with updates. I feel like I was meaning to try that, but it must have slipped my mind somehow while I was waiting for the battery to be delivered. Or, I assumed that Dell SupportAssist would have provided me with the correct driver when I ran scans and updates. Thanks for the advice.

- Collapse -
I've tried three different drivers

and none of them have fixed the problem. The most current graphics driver and two previous releases. No solution unfortunately. I'm thinking about reinstalling Windows 10 from either a usb or dvd-rw boot.

- Collapse -
That is strange

Usually if it works with Linux but not MS , it's a driver issue .
Better let the pros take over ... Sorry .... Sad

- Collapse -
Check out my response

to R.Profitt for an update. Thanks for replying to my thread and offering some advice.

- Collapse -
There's that other driver.

Some folk get fixated on the GPU driver but before that is the chipset driver package. W10 does NOT get drivers on its own right all the time. Use your Dell Service tag and the very least update BIOS then Chipset driver package and then the graphics driver.

- Collapse -
Update:

Tried everything recommended to no avail, unfortunately. Thank you for offering advice, though. I appreciate the help. I ended up installing Ubuntu 18.04 as with this OS everything ran well and as it should. Laptop is now fully functional. I would still like to know how and why I couldn't get the display to work. This fix was done for a friend. He gave full consent to work on the laptop as he otherwise had no use for it or desire to pay to get it fixed by certified technicians. Good opportunity for me to improve my skills. He is happy having a working laptop again and is ok with learning how to use Ubuntu. I'll consider this a partial success, but not a complete one as I was unable to get the machine operating well with Windows.

Thanks again.

CNET Forums

Forum Info