General discussion

Blank gray screen won't show signin

Hey guys,

Yesterday my computer was okay, then my AVG program popped up and said I had a virus. I closed all my other windows then did disc cleanup and defrag (I know this probably has nothing to do with viruses--but I don't know--I just did it to be safe) and I opened up my AVG. I checked for updates then looked at the viruses again... I just clicked "Remove all unhealed infections" and a window came up telling me the virus vault is full, and asked me if I was sure I wanted to delete the files. I just clicked yes. I scanned my computer again and I thought everything was okay, I restarted it. Then it will give me the loading screen and say it's configuring the data, but it won't go to where I sign into my account. It just stays a blank gray screen. I don't know how much any of this has to do with my problem, or why it's happening or how to fix it. Also, I have Windows 7. I would really appreciate some assistance! On another note I'm 15, and technology isn't my best area. Thanks for reading this.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Blank gray screen won't show signin
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Blank gray screen won't show signin
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Can you access the Safe Mode list of options?

I'm not sure what make and model you have but when the system boots up and after the BIOS has done its checks, start pressing the F8 key gently once a second before Windows begins to load.

This should display a whole list of Safe Mode options.

The top one is Safe Mode itself. If it is not highlighted, use the keyboard arrow keys to select it, then press Enter on the keyboard. Hopefully this will load Windows 7 in its diagnostic mode.

See if it loads into Windows. The display will look very different because only generic drivers are loaded. if that works, reboot and it should attempt to load back into Normal Mode.

If that fails, either Windows does not load into Safe Mode or when it does and you reboot it still fails to load properly, reboot again into the Safe Mode list of options, select the top choice again, then try and access Windows "System Restore" from the Start menu bubble. You will need to log in as an Administrator for this to work.

If all that fails, there is another option in the Safe Mode list of options, "Last known good configuration, (Advanced)".

Try that. This will attempt to load Windows from the last back up registry. Again, you will need to log in as an Administrator for that to work.

Let us know how you get on.

Mark

- Collapse -
Information on the computer--cannot access safe mode list

I got it wrong that it was Windows 7. Here's the info off the side of my computer:

emachine
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Model: EL 1200-05w

We tried repeatedly pushing F8 for several minutes, and it's still just a gray blank screen--nothing comes up. When I first turn the computer on, it says; "Entering bios setup F10 display boot menu" then it says something about verifying data pool, then nothing. I've also tried pushing F10 repeatedly, still nothing.

When we first bought the computer we tried to backup the operating system on discs. We have nine discs, but not sure if we did it right.

Thank you so much for your time and help!

- Collapse -

I got it wrong that it was Windows 7. Here's the info off the side of my computer:

emachine

We tried repeatedly pushing F8 for several minutes, and it's still just a gray blank screen--nothing comes up. When I first turn the computer on, it says; "Entering bios setup F10 display boot menu" then it says something about verifying data pool, then nothing. I've also tried pushing F10 repeatedly, still nothing.

When we first bought the computer we tried to backup the operating system on discs. We have nine discs, but not sure if we did it right.

Thank you so much for you time and help!

- Collapse -

emachine

Thank you so much for your time and help!

- Collapse -
The news is grim.

Almost all the verifying data pool hangs are usually a sign the hard drive has failed.

The test is very simple. We remove the power, open it up and unplug the cables from the hard disk drive. Power up and if we can get to the BIOS, it's 99% assured the machine needs a new hard disk drive.

Often this is how most owners learn why others write so much about backups.
Bob

- Collapse -
Grim News

Okay. What causes the hard drive to fail? Could it be caused by a virus?

- Collapse -
Sorry.

But the causes of HDD failures is something we can look up on the internet. My opinion here is the usual heat, age and for laptops and externals, shock.

For a virus to do this is unlikely. Such a virus could not spread far if it did that.

If you forgot to backup, you can ask drivesavers.com for an estimate.
Bob

- Collapse -
Sorry

Didn't mean to spam, sincere apologies.

CNET Forums

Forum Info