Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Blair admits weapons may never be found

by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / July 6, 2004 8:44 PM PDT
Blair admits weapons may never be found in Iraq
Associated Press

LONDON ? British Prime Minister Tony Blair said Tuesday that Saddam Hussein's illicit weapons of mass destruction may never be found in Iraq, but insisted the dictator had posed a threat to the world.

Saddam's alleged chemical and biological weapons programs served as London and Washington's chief stated reasons for going to war. However, the Iraq Survey Group's hunt for evidence has proved largely fruitless.

"I have to accept that we have not found them, that we may not find them," Blair told a committee of lawmakers Tuesday. "We do not know what has happened to them. They could have been removed, they could have been hidden, they could have been destroyed."
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Blair admits weapons may never be found
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Blair admits weapons may never be found
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Continued ...
by Evie / July 6, 2004 10:15 PM PDT

"Blair rejected any suggestion that the stockpiles never existed and that Saddam had not been a danger to the world.

"To go to the opposite extreme and say therefore no threat existed from Saddam Hussein would be a mistake," he told the House of Commons Liaison Committee.

He said the survey group had already shown that Saddam had the "strategic capability, the intent and was in multiple breaches of the United Nations resolutions."

"I genuinely believe that those stockpiles of weapons were there," Blair added."

Collapse -
Interesting eh...
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / July 6, 2004 11:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Continued ...

*they* can't make up their minds and stick to the plans *they* initially started.

I often wonder about this genre-ration.

Collapse -
Re: Interesting eh...
by TONI H / July 6, 2004 11:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Interesting eh...

With the alies Saddam had, and the months of advanced warning they were given (deadlines, etc), it's easy to understand how those weapons could have been moved ahead of time. If suicide bombers can use normal vans, why not transport WMD the same way across friendly borders so as to not arouse suspicions by using military vehicles that satellites would detect moving around?

TONI

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Heard that.! but, no PROOF everything else is a POOF.
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / July 7, 2004 6:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Interesting eh...
Collapse -
Highly Sophisticated Surveillance Technology...
by Blake Cook / July 7, 2004 6:33 AM PDT
Heard that.! but, no PROOF everything else is a POOF. - Chorus-Line

We've been told for decades that our satellites have the capability of reading the date stamp on a dime. We were told by this administration that they knew where much, if not all of the WMDs were located in Iraq prior to our invasion. You would think if there was some unusual activity to move the WMDs, our satellites would have seen it. Supposedly Saddam had tons of highly deadly gases and chemicals, so it would be no small task moving them. Nuclear weapons are shrinking, yet they still can't be easily concealed. So if all of this stuff was moved and hidden, we should have been able to have seen it going and where it was taken. So the question remains, why with all of our highly sophisticated surveillance technology focused directly on Iraq weren't we able to go right to the source if these WMDs actually existed? Either our technology isn't as good as we've been told or there never were any WMDs.

If Saddam had WMD technology as we were told and is still being claimed by the most faithful, why didn't he use it during the invasion? What purpose did it serve to move them elsewhere? It doesn't make sense to neglect using the weapons that would prevent an immanent defeat...
Collapse -
Access to "Common Sense" denied.
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / July 7, 2004 7:08 AM PDT
If Saddam had WMD technology as we were told and is still being claimed by the most faithful, why didn't he use it during the invasion? What purpose did it serve to move them elsewhere? It doesn't make sense to neglect using the weapons that would prevent an immanent defeat...

Good one Blake Happy
ACCESS TO LOGIC -- denied.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Blair admits unicorns may never be found
by Dan McC / July 7, 2004 2:35 AM PDT
Collapse -
Public Policy Reversals...
by Blake Cook / July 7, 2004 5:43 AM PDT
Blair admits weapons may never be found in Iraq - Chorus-Line

I see Blair's "reasoning" to try to save face to be flawed as well. "To go to the opposite extreme and say therefore no threat existed from Saddam Hussein would be a mistake," he said. Using Blair's logic, it can also be argued that dinosaurs still exist in Iraq as well. Just because they haven't been discovered doesn't mean that they don't exist...

Either Blair is starting to "wake-up" to the consequences of his misguided alliance with GW or he is simply "throwing a scrap" in order to prove that he isn't the American lap-dog as he appears. I find Blair's following statements to be quite interesting, especially since GW hasn't publicly stated that he could have been wrong and is "flip-flopping" on some of his previous decisions or views...

Blair also suggested the U.S. position was softening on the Kyoto protocol, and that Washington now accepted the scientific arguments.

"I do not think we should give up on the dialogue with the United States," the prime minister said. "I think they accept the science. The question is what do you do about it? That is in itself a significant change that we need to build upon."

I would like to hear GW tell the American people and his faithful flock that his views on Kyoto and Global Warming have changed. When it comes from Blair, GW's faithful flock aren't likely to hear or believe the news. I don't expect any public policy reversals from GW though. A "true" man and leader never admits to being wrong or changes his mind. That would surely be a sign of weakness and would set him up as a "flip-flopper"...
Collapse -
T.B. playing Innocent?
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / July 7, 2004 6:50 AM PDT

T.B. is "Awake."
:
:
:
Obviously, for him, it's time to save his BUTTATOM.
:
:
:
I am not the least surprised if GW's script writer had already prepared some rude awakening for him.
:
:
:
Somebody's gotto drag somebody along the lines...
:
:
:

Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!