Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Blackberry. Who is getting ripped off?

by Kiddpeat / January 25, 2006 9:59 AM PST

I don't have an oar in the water on this one. However, I'm curious about who is getting ripped off.

The prospect of a wide-scale shutdown of the BlackBerry mobile e-mail service is closer to becoming reality, as the U.S. Supreme Court on Monday turned down a request to review a major patent infringement ruling against BlackBerry-maker Research In Motion.

The court rejected a petition by Research In Motion to review a federal appeals court ruling that could lead to a shutdown of most U.S. BlackBerry sales and service.

Is it another successful company being ripped off by thieves hiding in the weeds, or is it a big company ripping off the small fry? I suspect it's the former, and I kind of wish they'ld just shut down. That would convert the greed to despair.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Blackberry. Who is getting ripped off?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Blackberry. Who is getting ripped off?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If I was a blackberry owner
by grimgraphix / January 25, 2006 12:16 PM PST

which I am not, BUT if I was, and the service was shut off because of the dispute between the 2 companies... Could I sue both companies for interruption of service?

From my understanding the plaintiff (NTP) has a legal right to compensation for the use of technology they supposedly, partially, developed. The stumbling block is they refused the settlement Blackberry offered. If NTP forces a shutdown can NTP be sued for the cost of equipment purchased from Blackberry (RIM) and compensation for loss of any contractual services remaining? Or will everyone owning a Blackberry be SOL?

I know it's a stretch but Reagan fired the flight controllers and Bloomburg was getting a million a day from the transit workers in NYC. Could Blackberry be considered a public utility like water or phone?

grim

Collapse -
I heard about a guy who opened up
by drpruner / January 26, 2006 12:01 AM PST

the box for his new Blackberry and found a can of worms instead. Happy

My former company had the full service package from Blackberry, and I loved it. Hope it works out for the users.

Collapse -
Who's not getting shut down (if this happens)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2006 12:19 PM PST

Washington D.C. (US GOV) is unlikely to lose service. As well as emergency workers.

Bob

Collapse -
Hmmmmm. Maybe NTP is figuring the government will pay
by Kiddpeat / January 25, 2006 12:32 PM PST

through the nose no matter what happens.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!