HolidayBuyer's Guide

Phones forum

General discussion

Blackberry Storm - Taking mine back to the store

by wildbillc777 / February 28, 2009 1:44 AM PST

My girlfriend and I purchased a pair of Blackberry Storms as part of a 2fer deal at our cellular store. Now we know why they were being discounted. Honestly, they are the WORST cell phones either of us has ever used. I've read the blogs a citing sluggish button response as a major complaint, and agree it's a problem, but by far the worst part of the phone is the keyboard. We both did the tutorials and we honestly tried to get it right, but the design/location of the keys and the smallish key size make typing anything more that singly syllable words nearly impossible. In "portrait" mode, the keyboard is completely impractical to use. Don't even try it. In "landscape" mode using only the thumbs to press keys, the keyboard can be used for BASIC texting, if you go SLOW, and don't mind using the backspace key a lot. Oh yeah, and the keyboard pops up when you least need it, and it's a pain to make it go away.

In the first week, both of us inedvertently launched emails and sms text to unintended recipients. Again owing to the poorly designed buttonology and poorly designed menus.

We are taking both Storms back to the cellular store sunday to try out a different type of touch screen cell, possibly the LG Versa, which has a dedicated qwerty fingerboard.

While I've heard that some people are almost addicted to their Blackberries, I must say, both my girlfriend and I were so frustrated that we were literally ready to launch them out the window. She used words like "loathe" and "hate", which are not part of her normal vocabulary, owing to the phones uselessness.

As a design engineer, it's obvious to me that this device is just not ready for market without radical changes to enhance usability.

Hope your luck with the Blackberry Storm was better than mine.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Blackberry Storm - Taking mine back to the store
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Blackberry Storm - Taking mine back to the store
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I feel your pain.
by dgphotog / February 28, 2009 5:42 AM PST

Don't bother with the Samsung Omnia. You would like it even less. I carried my experiment (misery) out for 29 days. Several large plate glass windows were endangered in the process.

Collapse -
Perseverance
by T1Cee / February 28, 2009 5:15 PM PST

Like you I found the keyboard strange and difficult at first, but after a weeks usage you get used to it. I have figured out just where to place my fingers to be successful in getting the right digit 80% of the time and reduce the usage of the backspace key.

My advice - try it a little longer before giving up on it, you will find that the main advantages of the Blackberry certainly outweighs the few minors.

Collapse -
storm - needs software upgrades.
by dixm / March 1, 2009 10:00 AM PST

yup the default software is rubbish - but once you upgrade to .86 or even better .106 its pretty good. I've been using a storm for a few weeks now and once that initial hump is over they are not to bad. A new gold software pack is due out soon with alot of improvements - the beta's have been leak tested by a lot of users - keypad use being a major one that has improved.
Speed and robustness has also improved with the latter builds - but its still not great. That said they do great video and they will send mms.... Happy

Collapse -
Software upgrades
by 1974vette / March 20, 2009 1:46 PM PDT

How do you do the software upgrades?
I too, am new at this phone, I like it but it sure is frustrating.

Collapse -
personally,
by woodygg / March 4, 2009 8:50 AM PST

the storm is a joke to me... a gimmick phone. it took me all of 5 minutes to figure that out... until they get rid of the (simon like) pop screen (it's a giant button for those of you that's never used it - you push it down and it clicks) and add wifi, i wouldn never consider this phone.

Collapse -
Storm has large learning curve
by sirtikalot / March 16, 2009 1:06 AM PDT

I myself, am well known throughout my area as being a cell phone geek but besides that I have owned probably around 16 phones in the past 2 years and at first wasn't satisfied with my Storm but have found that it has been my favorite phone, being as I usually try a new phone and turn around and sell it, I have actually stuck with this phone, i would never have considered as phone thats full touch screen until i found the click feature found on the storm.

Peoples problem is that they don't close applications on the phone. By holding the blackberry button (and also hitting the blackberry button and close) and closing your application and extra unused programs running you can make the phone like ten times faster. Also there are multiple tips on Youtube and other sites to help improve the performance of the phone and functionality.

All and all great phone just needs some time to develop.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.