HolidayBuyer's Guide

Phones forum

General discussion

Blackberry Pearl vs. SE W810i

by oo3menace / March 21, 2007 5:15 AM PDT

I am a cingular customer currently not held in a contract, I can cancel at anytime without fees. I have a decision to make between upgrading through cingular and purchasing a Sony Ericson w810i ($75 after rebate, +2yr srvc) or privately purchasing a Blackberry Pearl ($150 used for 3 days, owner upgrading to treo).

I know these two phones come from different worlds, one being gadget oriented and the other being a professional(ish) device.

I currently do not have a data plan for internet usage with Cingular.

I currently own a SE z500a for over 2 years. Outdated "smartphone", kind of beat up, could use an upgrade.

I'm not so much a gadget person per se, as I don't own an MP3 player but wouldn't mind the dual functionality included w/ the 810i.

Talk time initially played a key role as the w810i has a spec of 8 hrs to the 3 w/ the pearl. I've done some searching and found little coplaints on battery life with the pearl however.

I'd just like to see what the owners of these phones might have to say about their likes/dislikes of these devices.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Blackberry Pearl vs. SE W810i
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Blackberry Pearl vs. SE W810i
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
W810i beats out Pearl
by blaine100 / March 21, 2007 5:16 PM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks
by oo3menace / March 23, 2007 12:25 AM PDT
In reply to: W810i beats out Pearl

Thanks so much for the links. I really think it's just going to come down to if I want to renew my contract or not, or how much I want to spend for a new phone. Both phones are getting decent reviews and have similar capablities. Thanks again.

Collapse -
W810 seems good
by carter250 / April 11, 2007 3:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

My friend has the W810 and he's prety happy with it. good reception, good features and pretty fast menus. Never had a blackberry so i'm not sure how the pearl compares.

Collapse -
if you don't mind rebates
by gamedreamer / March 23, 2007 8:17 AM PDT

You can actually get the w810 for free with a cingular upgrade if you don't mind rebates. There is the $75 cingular rebate and there is a wirefly $50 rebate.

I was looking at the w810i as well. My wife changed her mind and wants a motorola product......but I've researched that w810i so much that I'm probably going to get it for myself. The pearl looks nice, but I am never getting a crackberry.......

http://www.wirefly.com/plans/cingular/

Collapse -
Its like apples and oranges
by myth90045 / April 12, 2007 1:53 AM PDT

I dont think that you can put these two phone in the same category. the pearl is main function is push email/wireless data/ with a sprinkle of multimedia.
the SE 810 is mp3player (hence the walkman branding), picture phone 2.0mp, with a dash of WAP built in.
I say if you are an SE person, and it kind of looks like you are, go with the 810. If you hold it, the 810 has plastic-y feel to it. but it is built well. It works great as an MP3 player if you so choose to use it as such. the included headphones work well, i say better than the head phones that come with the ipod. the W810 is customizable with different themes / wall paper / ringtones for free that you find on the web. Battery life, is as good as most SE phones. I had to charge mine every 3-4 days if that.
The pearl has a great build, the keyboard for texting is a little tricky to master, but once you do it is a breeze. the camera on the phone is ok, comparable to some 1.3mp cameraphones out there. Push email and the internet are ok, but i would prefer a bigger screen. You can put movies and music on the phone. there are programs for free that will convert the movies for the bb format. Themes are available but some of the really good ones you have to pay for.

all in all it depends on what you want. I have had both, each for different reasons. If i were to choose, id go with the SE W810i. its a great phone and i think you would like all the features that it has to offer.

as a side note: One cool thing i have found on most SE phones I have used, including the W810 is the bluetooth presentation program. I have bluetooth on my mac laptop. I paired the SE and the laptop and I used my phone to control the mouse. I can click on programs, start itunes or anything just like a wireless mouse. I thought that was a cool feature. but im kind of a geek!! haha

Hope this helps!!

Collapse -
Thanks!
by carter250 / April 15, 2007 2:00 PM PDT

myth90045, thanks for the good reply. I'm still torn but your post definitely helps. Reading all the reviews is making my eyes crossed.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.