HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Black screen with only the arrow no icons

by wnewans / October 10, 2005 12:06 AM PDT

I was downloading a kids cd onto my IBM and was asked to restart the computer, so I did and then when it came back on I had nothing on the screen just the arrow, there were no icons nothing just a black screen. I am still able to move the arrow around but that is it what can I do to fix this. Please help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Black screen with only the arrow no icons
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Black screen with only the arrow no icons
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: black screen
by Kees Bakker / October 10, 2005 1:30 AM PDT

Seems like something went wrong. Time go to back in time.

Boot into MS-DOS (via the f8 boot menu) and then type scanreg /restore (followed by enter). You will get the choice of 5 dates to go back to. Choose the day that you did the last good boot (the backup is made automatically at the first boot of the day).

First, however, try if a simple reboot will solve the problem. It's not likely, but you never know.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Windows 98 has restore?
by Earth911 / October 11, 2005 6:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: black screen

Did something go wrong? A da.Man this is the worst place for computer help. People guesses make no since> They get OS mixed up.Windows 98 has no restore like later version. I had 98 for 7 years,what restore?May god man..

Collapse -
yes..."guru"
by reefurbb / October 11, 2005 11:43 AM PDT

On the Windows CD...tools...sysrec system recovery, IF you have used Windows(Seagate) backup.

Collapse -
Windows 98 sure has a scanreg /restore.
by Kees Bakker / October 11, 2005 7:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: black screen
Collapse -
kees is right except...
by reefurbb / October 10, 2005 10:43 PM PDT

Try Safe Mode 1st, same F8 (or ctrl) deal holding it down after BIOS does it's thing but before Windows begins booting.
If ok, then the CD loaded some application that starts with Windows, and conflicts, not allowing load past some point.
The you can use "msconfig" at Start-Run (type in msconfig),and the "startup" tab, in Safe Mode, to uncheck whatever the app was, or uninstall the CD.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.