Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Black screen with cursor BEFORE Login .

by afiqahbabes / July 3, 2010 2:43 PM PDT

I have been searching the web for all possible way to fix my laptop. Unfortunately, it was IMPOSSIBLE! I put aside my laptop for a week. So I thought it will be back to normal. But it didn't. Everytime I switch it on, it shut-off suddenly. When it get to "Launch Starup Repair", it shut-off too. I click everything I can, but nothing works. Even all the Safe Mode. I will still end up to the black screen with cursor before login. I just want my important files inside. Just ONCE, let me login and take every important files and I can gladly throw the computer away. Please help me. Please !

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Black screen with cursor BEFORE Login .
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Black screen with cursor BEFORE Login .
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Laptop
by manmur / July 3, 2010 4:51 PM PDT

You have to leave the age, make, and model of your laptop. Also list all of the fixes to have tried.

Here are my suggestion.

Download Avira rescue CD. It can be use to rescue your files. http://www.free-av.com/en/tools/12/avira_antivir_rescue_system.html

you will have to burn it on to a CD.
If you do this you will have to change your boot order to Boot from CD first. You can change it by pressing F12 and go to boot order. Change the primary boot form Hard disk to CD. I think you can also boot a jump drive if you cannot burn the CD.

I hope this helps

Manmur

Collapse -
Rescue
by afiqahbabes / July 3, 2010 5:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Laptop

Does it rescue all my files and folders ?

Collapse -
Rescue Desk
by manmur / July 4, 2010 3:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Rescue

To be honest with I have have not used the program as I do not need to.

I always burn a New CD once a week so I have it on hand. However the download side says you can recover your data. It runs a Linux based OS from the CD. You should be able to get most of your data.

You should watch this Youtube video of Avira Rescue CD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4lTAgDH9pw

manmur

Collapse -
Rescue Desk 2 and a Other way to get data
by manmur / July 4, 2010 4:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Rescue Desk

It scans for any Issues then removes or rename them. you then restart your PC to see if it help you out. You should be able to get your Data if it works.

You have not told us the type of laptop you have other than it is has Vista on it. As far is I know it could be a BIOS or Hardware issue instead.

This video provides another way to recover your data.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNxBiIWBXUM

Basically you tun your Laptop Hard-disk to a slave disk for your desk top PC.

manmur

Collapse -
Laptop Information
by afiqahbabes / July 5, 2010 1:00 AM PDT

Compaq Presario V3500
Windows Vista Home Basic

Even my pictures/musics/videos I can get it back using that software ?

Collapse -
Data
by manmur / July 5, 2010 5:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Laptop Information

The download site says "recover data" However that if it is a secrity issue (viruses, torjans, rootkits, malware)that is not allowing you to get log on to you laptop.

If it dose not work then I recommend that you or someone you know that works on PCs to make your laptop hard drive to be slaved (Unbooting) to your Desktop PC hard-drive(master or booting dive). The video in my last post shows how it is done. However the way to take out the laptop Hard-drive depends on the maker and the model of the laptop.

Before this started to happen was there anything strange going on with your laptop? Other than not being to be able to log on.

It could be really anything that is causing this to happen. I have not seen this happen to anyone that I know or myself. So I have no experience on this problem. Right now I am providing suggestions that 'could' work. The closest I got to your problem is that I get the mouse on black screen for a few seconds to few minutes. After that I am able to log on.

Trying to be of help

manmur

Collapse -
Re: files
by Kees Bakker / July 5, 2010 5:13 AM PDT

As has been said: take out the hard disk. Then you can throw the laptop away, if you prefer. Or keep it for a moment.

Then connect the hard disk to another PC (using a USB to SATA/IDE-cable or an enclosure) and get all your files off.

Then you have 3 options:
1. Keep that hard disk (in an enclosure) for future backups.
2. Put that hard disk back into the laptop, reinstall Windows from the recovery medium and continue using it as you did.
3. Put a NEW hard disk in your laptop, reinstall Windows and use the disk from #1 as a backup so you're less likely to lose data in the future.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?