Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Black screen when typing in a particular forum

Been happening for about a week. I have an HP computer, a new one, about 2 months old. Windows 8. This only happens when I am typing a post on a particular forum. I will be typing and the screen goes black. No way to get rid of the black screen, but close the forum, of course, I have lost information I have typed and I can't stand it anymore. When I push the X to close the forum, the box "confirm close" comes up, enter will close the forum. Just don't get it, any idea what may be causing this. I am backing up my computer and this has been backing up for days, and should be done soon I guess. Very annoyed and frustrated...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Black screen when typing in a particular forum
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Black screen when typing in a particular forum
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: black screen

In reply to: Black screen when typing in a particular forum

The first thing to do: try it in another browser. Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome are all free, so you've got 2 other chances for it to work.

Kees

Collapse -
Black screen

In reply to: Re: black screen

I am using firefox, but will give IE a chance, thanks, I will relay my findings for anyone else that might experience this

Collapse -
black scree

In reply to: Black screen

Because it is common courtesy, I am relaying my test. Yes, using a different browser, like IE seemed to have fixed this problem. But odd, because I have been using firefox for years and years, this has been a recent issue, maybe something changed with the compatibility with firefox and this particular forum. All other forums do not have this issue with me, the black screen. Also, I think what firstly began the issue with black screen one day, and as I said suddenly, was when I used tab and enter to post a post. I am a keyboard fanatic and have always used this combination to submit posts. One day, I could not use this function to submit posts, had to push the submit button, a pain in the butt, but did, and then the next day the black screen issue began. Go figure. Anyways, I will use IE for this particular forum, but will again try firefox, as I prefer that browser. But I will be smart, I will test first so I don't lost an entire bunch of typing, should the dreaded blackscreen show its ugly face.

Collapse -
When I see that result I do a browser reset.

In reply to: black scree

Collapse -
BLACK SCREEN

In reply to: black scree

For anyone interested, it was an issue with not having the current version (34.0) of firefox, updated firefox and all is well

Collapse -
black screen

In reply to: BLACK SCREEN

Well update. I did update firefox to 34.0 yesterday and yesterday typing posts on that forum worked fine. Today I went on that forum and began to type a reply to a post and got the black screen again, using firefox. So back to square one. Going back to try IE and see if it still works properly on the forum. I am thinking it is a forum and firefox compatibility issue., blah....

Collapse -
black screen

In reply to: black screen

Wonder why no one is reading this, or should I say responding. Oh well. Doesn't matter. This is the final post, because seems that the problem is rectified. OK, so updated Firefox, updated windows and still got a black screen. So, I told my Husband about it again, and he did google search. First thing was to go into firefox by holding down the shift and firefox icon, and go into safemode and then try posting. Yes, that worked. No black screen. so the next thing he said to try was to go into firefox options and uncheck "use hardware acceleration when available" and I did that. No black screen, so far and with a few long texts, so I guess that was the issue on that forum. No clue what unchecking this option does, for other sites too, but seems to be working so that no black screen comes up on our forum. That was the most annoying thing ever, and I can't tell you how many posts I have lost, because of that black screen. Anyone know why "use hardware acceleration when available" is a default in firefox?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.